1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Spanish Radio] Sergio Llull close to deciding to join the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Jun 3, 2015.

1. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Wasn't their a report around like March from a Spanish reporter saying Lull was going to come over in the Summer? If I'm not just tripping is it the same guy?

2. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

Is it possible to trade him immediately after he signs?

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I like what I've seen in highlights from the guy, but I'm weary of Euroleague shooters especially when they transition to the NBA.

Anyone have any links to full games?

4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Dwight Howard ain't getting any younger.

5. Airdough

Airdough Member

That would make sense for the Rockets. Turns Llull into a poor mans Ginobli backing up at both guard spots.

6. GottaHaveHeart

pat bev is looking to get paid $$$ easily gna be like in 6-8 mil range! We know teams overspend. Rox will not match IMO will want to keep flexibility.

Llull, kinda skeptic on his game..euro have to adjust to NBA. Luis Scola was seasoned Euro vet and did pretty well so I'm hoping Llull can do us a solid this upcoming season.

7. Nook

Nook Member

My thought as well.
    Sergio has been in Spain a long time, it would be quite the culture shock.
    Don't get me wrong, he is a very talented player, but he is well paid with little pressure in Spain.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I am not too keen on this, but it is welcome news. Llull is not a pure point guard, but he is a combo guard who is a competitor. He is better than K-Pap.
    That's not saying much, but Morey should bring him over if Smith, Brewer, Bev, and Terry re-sign with us, provided that the Rockets can't get anyone better than him.

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

It's exciting but can he step in right away? This team has 1-2 years left of Playoff Dwight left before he starts to decline permanently IMHO. We have a very small window with Dwight and it concerns me that from NBA perspective this guy is an unknown.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Yep. 9 points 3 assists in Europe is like 15 points 6 assists in the NBA because of the metric system.

1 person likes this.
  11. Amir's Johnson

Could Llull be the piece to landing Marc? ;)
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="es" dir="ltr">Felicidades <a href="https://twitter.com/paugasol">@PauGasol</a> y <a href="https://twitter.com/MarcGasol">@MarcGasol</a> por el Princesa de Asturias. Vuestra personalidad y valores van+allá del parqué! <a href="http://t.co/6AMs5WbElN">pic.twitter.com/6AMs5WbElN</a></p>&mdash; Sergio Llull (@23Llull) <a href="https://twitter.com/23Llull/status/606057207889821696">June 3, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

He's relatively unknown for laymen like you and me. But I will definitely give Morey the benefit of doubt after so many years tracking Llull and willing to give him the MLE.

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Says his team will try to do everything it can to keep him from coming over because he's a franchise player to them. Also says Rockets have been visiting him during vacation including 3 to 4 times recently, even though Llull cautioned them not to in the past..they also call his dad..

Also says he (spanish reporter) was over here in Houston when they played Los Angeles and two of our reporters we're very interested in asking him questions about Llull, feared he may never come over.

Obligatory cookin it up picture:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Once again you show your blatant ignorance

Good thing someone with a brain is making the call though. If you were in charge we would have patpat at pg

15. Nook

Nook Member

Morey has been pretty straight forward about this. He anticipates the Rockets operating above the cap. All along it made sense that any large salary additions would be via S&T or straight up trade. The Rockets have the assets to execute a S&T in most instances.

I agree with you that the question is what other reasonable options did the Rockets forego if they indeed use the entire MLE on Llull.

Does this mean the Rockets are going to target an interior player such as LMA, Love or Gasol via S&T and roll with Llull in the backcourt starting next to Harden?

Does this mean the Rockets don't think they can add anyone of consequence so they are snatching up Llull?

Does this mean the Rockets decided Llull at MLE > Beverley at open market costs?

Do the Rockets still target Lawson/Lowry and make Llull into a Ginobili/Crawford type 6th man creator getting all the backcourt minutes.

What I can tell you is IF the Rockets so sign Llull, you want Brewer and Smith back.... Other than John Wall and Westbrook, you will be hard pressed to find a better/faster player in the open court... He is extremely aggressive in the open court, very fast, very good at passing and finishing in the open court.... Smith and Brewer running next to him in transition would be very dangerous and very much something Morey would value.

16. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Excited for him. He's becoming a legitmately top player in Europe and his style is perfect for us - very high assist/turnover ratio with very good shooting.

17. Marteen

Marteen Member

If Morey wants him then I trust he can contribute.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Who said he is going to start?
    They may very well still target Lawson or Lowry.

19. finsraider

finsraider Member

I'll really like our bench if we can bring back Bev and get some decent shooting. Bev, Brewer, Smith and Capela is a really good start. We'd still have Papa and Prigs contracts and our picks to improve the team.

Maybe something like Papa, Johnson and the NYK 2nd for Courtney Lee.

Llull / Beverley
    Harden / Lee
    Ariza / Brewer
    DMo / Smith
    Howard / Capela

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I am saying he is good dumbass. Learn to read moran.