1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Southland Conference Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by weslinder, Sep 1, 2011.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The 2 schools with "Houston" in their name are a collective 20-0.

2. leroy

Coach's Poll has SHSU at #3 behind 2 1-loss teams.

Has no one noticed the absolute domination (and win over a FBS team) outside of alum and those in Huntsville?

3. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Depends on who you ask. Different media members (outside of the local area) have thrown SHSU's name around as a possible member of the WAC or whatever conference is desperate for members. But the athletic department did a feasibility study on moving up to FBS and they decided that that it was a goal for the program in the next ten years or so, but not immediately. Granted, this study was done before all of FBS was sent into total chaos.

4. jdh008

jdh008 Member

The locals still don't really support the Bearkats. Last week's game, involving what is likely the best football team in the history of the program in a time when the university is growing at an exponential pace, was attended only slightly better than some games I saw last season when the team went 7-4. The same people come to games every week, but there are very few "casual fans" that decide to show up based on how the team is playing or what is going on in the program.

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

Big game tomorrow when my bobcats end ya'lls run. Means I actually have to wake up before 2 so I can go tailgate. Go Cats! not Kats.

6. leroy

Looking forward to today. Told my brother that we could hit the UT tailgate on the way back since it this game will be over early.

GO KATS!

7. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Kats remain undefeated. Only undefeated FCS team in the nation.

8. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Montana beat #1 Montana State today, so more than likely, SHSU will be the top team in the nation when the new polls come out.

9. shsu33

shsu33 Member

Homefield all the way to Frisco! #1 in the nation!

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Props to Sam Houston for earning the #1 seed in the FCS playoffs. Hope these guys can maintain their domination throughout the playoffs.

NOTE TO FBS: This is how the **** should go down. Keep it real!

[​IMG]

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This is a beautiful thing, baby. Finally (most of) the voters get it.

13. leroy

That was the most fun I've had at a game in some time...even if I couldn't cheer very loudly (I was on the home side and tried to remain relatively respectful...especially since I was drinking their beer in pre-game and halftime events). SHSU didn't play particularly well on Saturday and still ended up thumping SWT. I'm not sure if they went a little vanilla with the play calling or not. They didn't appear to run more than about 4 different plays. The defense is very good and can carry them far should the offense have a tough day. Good thing is never having to leave Texas should they win out. That means no games in Montana or North Dakota. The weather should be relatively tame compared to having to go to those places in December.

#1 in the nation. Simply awesome and something I never really imagined would happen.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

good luck in the playoffs!

1 person likes this.
  15. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Congrats to Sam Houston and Central Arkansas! Go out there and win some playoff games and make us proud. I may head back up to Huntsvegas for a game or two.

16. shsu33

shsu33 Member

Go Sam! Very good crowd at Bowers and got the W! On to the 3rd round against Montana St in Huntsville again next week.
    Eat 'em Up!

17. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

They had me nervous the entire game, but the first half the definitely played uninspired ball.

I did disagree with the refs on a lot of the calls though.

If you're an SHSU alumni, or you just want to cheer them on, try to go to the game. There were a good number of people there, but it took a lot to try to get the crowd pumped up. Even when SHSU was trying to hold off SB at the goal line, it seemed like people weren't cheering.