1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: With the emergence of Hamilton- Granger a longshot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 27, 2014.

1. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Interesting. I didn't know they have the same agent.

But agreed that concerns over playing time is likely what's steering Granger away from us. That said, realistically, it's probably not a bad idea for us to keep an open mind on the status of the PF rotation given TJ's mostly horrendous play lately, DM's quiet emergence and the overall up-and-down nature of our production from the 4 spot. It wouldn't be unfair for DM to allude to the possibility of 25+ minutes to Granger's camp, for those reasons.

That said, before jopat comes in here with his regurgitated anti-TJ/DM rhetoric and outrageous claims like Charlie Villanueva would be upgrade to those two, I'm just tying to be fair and objective. I like TJ a lot; he obviously has a ton of upside and will only get better. TJ will ultimately end up with one of two fates: 1) Our future starting PF -or- 2) The key piece in a trade offer to get Love. His development is critical, I just don't trust him yet.

Granger could be a nice stabilizing force as a stretch 4. Given that Hamilton is looking like the new backup 2/3, I don't see why you couldn't theoretically have the best of both worlds and acquire both.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't. I'm just arguing that if Morey is passing on Granger, it's because of Granger, not Hamilton. Or, at least insofar as Morey reckoning that Hamilton will contribute more than Granger, it's hard to believe it's because of the 2-game sample he's had. He might be convinced by the whole scouting report, but not the 2 games.

3. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Ya i like his first two games but, can he keep it up? Morey should be stockpiling as much talent as he can.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If he can't contribute, he won't add firepower to any team.

5. rawool

rawool Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>NBA free agent Danny Granger having phone conversations with the Spurs, Heat, Rockets, Clippers and Bulls today, a source said.</p>&mdash; Marc J. Spears (@SpearsNBAYahoo) <a href="https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/statuses/439102242910527488">February 27, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Said idiot does have a point though. Granger is nothing like he used to be. He has really been playing on a level equal to Casspi, Hamilton and Garcia since his return.

7. GTRockets

GTRockets Member

I would take him cheap for 2-3 years. I mean what happens if he comes back to form?

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

i always saw Jones as a 3/4 tweener. Big enough to play the 4, but plays more like a 3 than 4.

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

In fairness, Casspi has played a whole lot better than Granger this year.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The chances of that happening at his age are slim.

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Casspi has one of the lowest bball IQs in the league. Granger may be a shell o his former self but if we need him to play smart, defend well, and stand and shoot he can do that.

12. crash5179

More like Morey lost interest in Granger because of 2 horrible seasons and the inablility to stay healthy.

13. crash5179

1. he has not done as well as Casspi this season
    2. at least Casspi can get on the court, Granger is always hurt as he has only played 34 games the last 2 seasons because of injury.

14. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

granger/hamilton is a better backup swingman rotation than garcia/casspi

o lawd

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

And yet Granger's statline is superior to Omri's in almost every category (for this season)

re: the 'emergence' of Hamilton... it's been a couple of games? How can someone 'emerge' in that time frame?
    Surely we're not going to mortgage the farm on a career 36.5% 3 point shooter, when a career 17.6ppg guy 38.2% 3pt shooter is available?

There's at least 15-20 minutes for Granger as a 'stretch 4', and 5 more at small forward gives him 20-25.
    Hamilton picks up the remaining 5 at small forward, 10 at SG gives him 15 also.

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

The fact that Morey is campaigning for him proves otherwise.

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

A Lin, Hamilton, Granger bench would open up Lin's game and we'd be raining threes.

18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Granger was never one of those types that rely on their athleticism to succeed. Even if the burst and hops aren't what they used to be, he can definitely still contribute.

He's always been a do-it-all type player with a fairly high skill level and a great, smooth-looking jumper. These types of players can play well into their mid-30's.

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

I find this hard to believe as coming from Morey... he is a stats guy, he understands you can't base much off of two games.

20. Peanut07

Peanut07 Member

As long as it's not Lin shooting them.