1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Warriors' Monta Ellis out at least 3 months because of ankle injury

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Shaud, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Shaud

Shaud Member

The Golden State Warriors won't have Baron Davis or Monta Ellis in their starting lineup on opening night.

In the latest blow during a difficult summer for Golden State, ESPN.com has learned that Ellis -- just awarded one of the biggest pay raises in league history -- will be sidelined at least three months, possibly four, after suffering a severe high ankle sprain in his hometown of Jackson, Miss

Ellis was scheduled to undergo surgery on his left ankle in Alabama on Wednesday, according to team sources, after he informed the club late last week that he had injured himself working out. More specifics about how Ellis sustained the injury were not immediately available.

Surgery is needed to repair a torn deltoid ligament, sources said, and the foot will need to be immobilized for the first six weeks.

It was less than a month ago that Ellis received a six-year, $66 million contract extension from the Warriors, whose tumultuous offseason began with Davis making a verbal commitment to sign with the Los Angeles Clippers on the very first day of free agency.

The contract calls for Ellis to earn a flat $11 million in each of the next six seasons. He made just $770,610 last season, the final year in a modest three-year deal he received as a second-round pick in 2005.

Golden State, which failed to reach the playoffs last season, insisted that it achieved its top two offseason priorities by re-signing Ellis and fellow restricted free agent Andris Biedrins.

The Warriors were nonetheless stunned by the sudden nature of Davis' departure -- as Davis initially was expected not to opt out of the final year of his contract -- and now have likely lost the prolific guard expected to inherit much of Davis' scoring responsibilities until December at the earliest.

The Warriors responded to Davis' exit by signing swingman Corey Maggette away from the Clippers to join co-captain Stephen Jackson, and by signing Los Angeles Lakers restricted free agent Ronny Turiaf to add bulk on their front line.

They also matched the Clippers' offer sheet to retain restricted free agent Kelenna Azubuike and acquired backup point guard Marcus Williams in a trade with New Jersey. The Warriors are likewise extremely high on first-round draft pick Anthony Randolph, and thus did little to prevent forwards Mickael Pietrus (Orlando) and Matt Barnes (Phoenix) from following Davis out the door.

It remains possible that the Warriors could trade forward Al Harrington before the start of the season, with Harrington reportedly open to a move. Yet there's really no replicating what Ellis provides for the Warriors, especially given coach Don Nelson's plans to use Ellis regularly at point guard after playing him primarily as a shooting guard in Ellis' first three pro seasons.

Ellis, 22, seemed to understand his importance to the team's post-Baron future when Ellis shared at a news conference in late July that Davis recently "told me it was time to hand over the torch."

Ellis averaged 20.2 points, 5.0 rebounds and 3.9 assists last season. He won NBA Most Improved Player honors in the 2006-07 season, averaging 16.5 points, 3.2 rebounds and 4.1 assists.

The only solace for the Warriors is that Ellis does have a history of making strong, fast recoveries from major injuries. He slipped to No. 40 in the 2005 draft, in spite of a decorated high school career, because of a knee problem.

But he has since proven more productive in the NBA than any of the 10 players drafted out of high school that year, which was the last time high school players were eligible to be selected. That group includes No. 6 overall pick Martell Webster (Portland); No. 10 Andrew Bynum (Los Angeles Lakers); and No. 18 Gerald Green (drafted by Boston, now with Dallas).

Ellis suffered what initially appeared to be a serious knee injury during a summer-league practice in 2006, and endured an even scarier fall early in training camp last October that resulted in a neck sprain and required Ellis to be immobilized and carted off the court.

In both cases, though, Ellis missed minimal time. He appeared in 77 and 81 games, respectively, after the two injuries.

Ellis is also known for his boundless confidence, as evidenced when he scoffed at reporters' recent suggestions that the switch from shooting guard to the point will be a problem.

"I'm going to improve every part of my game," Ellis said last month. "That's what I do. That's why I play basketball . . . to improve and to become the best player [who] ever touched a basketball."

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3556108

2. Tornadoofsoul6

That has got to stink for Warrior fans.

3. Rover16

Rover16 Member

And people keep worrying about yao playing for china in the summer. You can injure yourself just as easily working out by yourself. Elton brand did it last summer and now monta ellis did it this summer. There's risk whatever you do unless you put yao in a protective bubble.

4. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Sucks for the Warriors and their fans. Monta is fun to watch. It should be a good opportunity for Marcus Williams to try to step up until Ellis gets back.

5. radapharoah

radapharoah Rookie

he injured himself that badly by simply working out?

WTF was he doing?
    hmmm...something smells fishy

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Not a good time to be a Warriors fan. Their struggle to be a .500 team was already tough enough without Ellis to start the season.

I have been saying all along how much I liked the Marcus Williams trade for them. Marcus will be able to handle the PG load while Monta is out.

7. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

They will not win one game. At least Don Nelson is hilarious.

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Have you ever had a high ankle sprain? Let alone, a severe sprain that tore any ligaments. They're no joke. You can't walk let alone run.

9. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

For real. I think I had a high ankle sprain w/ some ligament damage (though I'm stubborn and never went to the doctor) and I'm just now confident enough to jump on it moderately. In fact I'm supposed to go running with my girlfriend after work today, and it'll be the first attempt since the sprain. It was 2 and a half months ago!

10. BrooksBall

"Working out" doesn't necessarily mean lifting weights or however the average person uses the term. It probably meant playing basketball.

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

it's not like he's out for the whole season. he will miss training camp and preseason, then maybe a month of the season. (15 games or so).

still marcus williams is the only PG on the roster.

this will be a bad season for the warriors. possibly nelsons last in GS.

12. BrooksBall

That's probably a best case scenario. He won't be doing anything the first 6 weeks then probably limited rehab type work the next 6 weeks. Then, the doctors re-evaluate at which point the season will be a month old. If that goes well, then he has to get back into game shape. I'd say he most likely won't be back until late December/early January if everything goes well and he continues his trend of healing quickly. It may even be late January.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I hate hearing this because I wanted to see early on how Ellis would adapt to his new role on the Warriors. It's gonna be a long season for Golden State if he doesn't hit the ground running after returning in December.

14. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

wow that sucks i really do like watching ellis play (as long as its not against us) but this pretty much settles that GSW wont make the playoffs. A bubble team at best but not having one of your best if not best player for the first two months of the season seals their fate.

i feel bad for GSW fans

15. mozart123

mozart123 Rookie

This sucks for monta and any fan who like high octane offense

This is a bummer, I really wanted to watch the GSW play.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I hope he will make a full recovery. I like Monta very much.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Out comes Monta Ellis (with severe ankle sprain, will miss 1st month of season)

Monta Ellis comes out

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5970583.html

Severe ankle sprain, out for 3 months, will miss first month of regular season.

Man, the guy just signed the big contract. The Warrirs can't be happy.

#17 Carl Herrera, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

You know, you really have a way with misleading thread titles.

19. Asian Sensation

This has already been posted. And you made it sound like Monta is gay and came out of the closet. This thread is ghey. LOCK IT !

20. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

man this could have been a double whammy of a day for GSW fans.

totally messed up thread title and a dupe