1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Vogel: Contacted by Morey - Morey trying to move fast

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 5, 2016.

1. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

So dumb if we pick him over JVG. Need discipline. Need authoritarian figure. #MakeRocketsPlayDAgain

2. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Yes sir, that was a good read.... big decision for the Rockets a lot riding on this hire.

3. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Who is that coach with the creative minded?

4. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I also find comical the idea of a "disciplinarian" coach in the NBA. These are grown-ass men who are millionaires with huge egos. Coaches need to be good communicators and leaders of men, not some antiquated stereotypical high school coach that makes players do laps or just yells at them like the band director from "Whiplash".

1 person likes this.
  5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Our assistant coaching hires need to be top notch as well. Can't settle for JB and the b**** boys.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If Morey is indeed trying to move fast... that's kind of... lame. A sign of weakness IMO. As if Vogel is that good and there are that many more suitors pining for his services.

7. Marteen

Marteen Member

Thanks for the news, Cyber. Unfortunately, you won't find many coaches who will mold a team into a good defensive AND offensive team, but at least Vogel could potentially make the Rockets improve defensively.

8. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Wants to move in for the kill before Phil gets back from vacation lol

9. dragician

dragician Member

the good thing about Vogel is that, he's half white and half black :)

10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Again, please read the article linked by cyberx. Vogel WILL have other suitors. The Knicks need a coach. The Kings need a coach. It's not like we're the only team out there with a job opening.

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Any teams lining up to hire Bickerstaff? ;)

No? Well, I guess that should tell us something...not that we at Clutchfans didn't already know...

12. rockets13champs

I think it may be a solid idea to offer lance stephenson a contract. He can be our 6 man next year. Offense when james is on bench. Now we need a 2 way sf and pf

13. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

You are making an incorrect assumption that Morey and the Rockets only use analytics to make decisions. That has already been shown to be untrue.

Can you show me anywhere were Morey or any Rocket executive has ever said that only number matter?

Here's a great example:

His use of analytics has led many to consider him a slave to the numbers, but he also does as much on-site, traditional scouting as any GM, saying he copied Danny Ainge’s routine, not knowing at the time that it was not typical. He has an extensive analytics staff but insists on a balance with traditional scouts.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...y-sees-high-profile-status-as-part-of-the-job

Since the 1st day that he took over Morey has said that analytics was a tool but it was only a part of the answer.

Analytics are to replace traditional tools but rather to add additional information.

14. colt45nyc

colt45nyc Rookie

JVG never won anything....he had his chance with Yao and Tmac

We will win 50 games with JVG but will never beat GS in the west.

15. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Yes I know the rankings

This season, by all accounts including former players, our team planned a motion offense but ended up with iso offense on the court. That's a breakdown in communication and effectiveness of the coaching. Our defense breakdowns got more of the attention, sure, but our offense was just as broken.

I'm not arguing that the end result of offense was not efficient or productive; it wasn't what was planned.

My hunch is Chris Finch will continue as an assistant with Frank Vogel, which would not change much concerning our coaching staff's effectiveness in realizing what they teach, on the court. This would defeat the purpose of hiring a new head coach.

The Finch part is a big assumption, so an opposite opinion is valid. This is just what my instinct says. A couple of reasons:
    - the Indiana teams had similar iso offense that didn't score as much
    - Vogel is a players coach
    - no talk of revamping the rest of the coaching team

For me, these point to Vogel not having a strong enough effect on coaching communication to our players, specifically for the offense.

I also feel a non-iso offense is necessary to keep all players on the roster engaged and interested in playing with effort, a huge problem this season. Harden is great but can't do it all himself.

You may say that our offense doesn't need fixing, that a roster talent improvement is enough to accompany Vogel's improvement of the defense. As a counter: I think there's a reason that the offense is not planned for iso's as much as we saw this season.

16. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

down for Vogel #saynotoJVG or #JVGsaynotoRockets ...lol

17. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WqnfTwTg9Yo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i like this guy.

19. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

I can't stand another year of iso ball. Please don't drive away the fans

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Rockets get offensive based coach: Rockets fans scream, what about the defense? team was horrible, a turnstile, no defensive rotations, rebounds or closing out on shooters.

Rockets get defensive based coach: Rockets fans scream, offensive is stagnant, more ISO ball and misses. Everyone standing around

:confused:

Folks, Pop ain't walking through that door. So get the coach that can solve SOME of the problems and one that is ADAPTABLE to learn and fix the others. Communicate the personnel shortfalls to your GM and have him get players that fit.

1 person likes this.