1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Sources: Texans meet with Johnny Football for 2 hours yesterday

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by cyberx, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just a reminder - they met with Bortles for an extended period the night before his pro day and they met with Bridgewater after his pro day. I'm sure they will meet with Clowney after his, and probably with several others, like Mack.

Even if they don't have any interest in one or more of these guys, they won't rule anybody out to preserve the value of trading the pick, and to just generally obfuscate.

I heard a ton around the combine about how every NFL team meets with a large number of people that they have no interest in in order to hide exactly who they were interested in. At the top, with the stakes that much higher, I assume that it applies that much more.

2. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Either cyberx or J.R. will probably know before you do that she's leaving.

1 person likes this.
  3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Pretty much. You have to fool everyone into thinking you're high on every single player in order to maximize your potential trade value.

4. MystikArkitect

What teams don't talk abt is telling.

5. Major

Major Member

This assumes that GMs of other teams are stupider than message board posters who can see through the ruse. I would hope the Texans are legitimiately interested in all of these guys and doing their due diligence and collecting as much data as possible, rather than pretending to be interested just to throw other teams off.

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Major who do you think is going to be the top pick for the Texans?

7. Major

Major Member

I have no idea, really. And honestly, I hope they don't either - they should still be in the research stage and collecting every bit of information they can. I hope, if they determine any of the QBs has a chance to be a franchise player, they jump on that - I think that's the overriding need of the team and a #1 pick is the best chance to address it.

I think Bridgewater probably has the highest probability of that, but I'm not a professional scout. I think Manziel has some unique intangibles and is a bit more of a wildcard - he could be a homerun or a total disaster. I'm OK with all-or-nothing picks, so I'd be good with either of those choices. Bortles, I'm not nearly as impressed with. Clowney seems to strike me as having all sorts of red-flag work ethic issues, but again, that's looking from the outside.

So if I were running the Texans, if I thought TB or JM had a realistic chance of being a franchise player, I would take them. Otherwise, I'd probably trade down - that said, I don't know much about the other possible prospects outside of Clowney and the 3 QB's, so it's not the most educated opinion.

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is not idle speculation. People like Mike Mayock and Daniel Jeremiah say that teams do this. Every team knows who every other team meets with. If everybody only met with people they were genuinely interested in, everybody would know exactly who everybody else was interested in. Telegraphing that crap is how the Ravens trade up and grab Arthur Brown one pick before the Texans.

9. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Didn't the Rams trade their 2012 #2 overall for the 2012 #6 and a 2013 1st, 2014 1st?

If someone is that high on Manziel, you do that deal in a heartbeat

10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

No one sees Manziel as Luck or RG3.

11. Major

Major Member

Oh I don't doubt that teams do that nonsense - I just doubt it works. If I'm the GM of a team, I'm doing my own analysis of who another team might be interested in, rather than listening to whatever is coming out in the media - because I know other teams aren't going to be publicizing their draft strategy and going to be throwing out random info.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Regardless of how effective it is, it would be stupid to remove all doubt and not broadcast phony signals/information (lol pancakes) to your competitors.

#52 DonnyMost, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

he's better than RGIII, especially today's gimp version that can't run anymore

14. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

what really happened is BOB and JFF hit up some frat parties together.

15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Drinking kind of early huh Texxx?

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

RG3 is still has a better arm. RG3 should be fine this season. 2 years after the ACL.

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

And because of what happen to RG3, no one is going to be the farm in a trade.

18. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

You mean his second torn ACL in three years? Yeah...I'm sure that won't impact his game at all.

19. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

You people are talking about RGIII like he is a bust or something...

I bet you half the teams in the NFL would rather have RGIII than their current starter. I would take RGIII no doubt!

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Nah investing all that money on a guy going through his 3rd major knee surgery and is only 2-yrs into his career?

Glad we aren't pinning our franchise hopes to that guy.

#60 Aruba77, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014