1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets will match on DMo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zaam, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

The minimum we have to pay D-Mo until March is $9 million. Will that be enough time to determine if he is worth keeping considering he is not in game shape 20+ games into the regular season when everyone else is.

Will the Rockets become a contender? No. Will he give us more wins? Yes. How many? Good question. Are 3-4 more possible wins worth $9 million? Do we need the insurance if a big man gets hurt? Yes. Does it make sense financially? Good question. In the short run if it doesn't work out probably not. In the long run when you factor in injuries (as long as he is not the one getting hurt) then it does.

Houtho likes this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If you hurry, I bet you can get a FTW Rockets FTW internet monopoly going, too. Although, you have to drop the Spaces from your URL.

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

isn't is possible for us to extort a player or pick from BKN in return for not matching? this is allowed by the league office, correct?

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Do the Nets have any players that we could trade for that we would want?

Their roster is not exactly impressive

5. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

It all boils down to this. $9 million to find out if captain hook is still alive. In the playoffs when the game slows down, and the defense is tight, the threes are well guarded, you need post scoring.

6. basketballholic

No that's not what it means. I'm not revealing any more at present.

Just remember this, this is a riskless offer. We can match and pay him until March and drop him. So if we don't match there is a reason, and its not his health. $9.5 million means nothing on this year's cap. And if he were waived, there's a good chance the Nets would claim him because they did sign him to an offer sheet. So if we don't match, you can rest assured there's something more happening here.

7. heypartner

The Vertical (or Bobby Marks) confirmed that it is Illegal to talk to Nets the moment the Offer Sheet was signed (or make any deal), without rescinding the offer, but all three parties must agree to rescinding the offer.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yes... There is something more going on. There is this thing called Free Agency coming up in June/July of next year. And in this period called Free Agency, there is something needed called "cap space". If the Rockets sign Donatas, and keep him, he's going to affect said "cap space".

So yes, there is "something more" happening here that only an Insider like myself would know of, but I can't share full details with the board now. Yull just have to see.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  9. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm assuming that Morey is taking the full amount of time in order to find some sort of trade to open up a roster spot rather than just cutting someone. If you have to go that route, fine, but why not take the full amount of time to exhaustively pursue all options?

Easy likes this.
  10. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Otherwise we would send them an offer of Corey Brewer for two 2nd round picks and a wink emoji.

11. basketballholic

Rockets can match and not affect 2017 cap space. And then use his release as a teaser to get a trade done.....with the Nets or some other team. So if they don't match here they're mire going on than him affecting their 2017 cap space.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

No question I am sure that is part of the equation.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Already got mine. ;)

14. heypartner

wow, easyfaps.com and easyfapping.com aren't taken, yet. You should sell those to jontro ... or Batman Jones.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I swear you conjure up the most convoluted theories. Yes, the Rockets/Nets came up with a fail safe (get out of jail) safety net for an early waive if D-Mo just isn't healthy or can't break the rotation, but do you really think, or are trying to convince the board that the Rockets would match him, and waive him as some grand conspiracy for another trade?

And if you are going to float around "teaser" trade theories, than go full Breitbart and give us the whole theory. Have some guts, and explain in detail what you (or your sources) know is going to happen here.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

OK, the annoyance can be well justified, but still annoying. :cool:

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

If the Rockets don't match it might just be because they don't see him being useful this year. DMo is a poor trade piece with that contract, and so has little asset value (not able to be traded kinda sux for Morey!)

So if they match, it is kind of pointless NOT taking up the option for next year, which affects cap space because they'd have to take the option prior to the offseason to have him on the books for next year (and untradeable). It kind of does mess up 2017 cap space? No? Unless you are convinced the Rockets see value in a 1 year rental (of their own RFA who they aren't missing on the court.)

I really just wanted to argue against the point you were making, but now that I've typed that, kind of feels like matching isn't smart.

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

Why couldn't all of this be done in the off-season? This is a distraction right now especially when the team is gelling.
    DMO at best will make us marginally better. Just let him walk.

19. heypartner

That is a great contract to trade. That's what people mean by "Team Friendly"....all teams.

The Player Veto Power is not written into the contract and doesn't move with the player. It is a restriction on the Matching Team only, per CBA Rules. if/when DMo consents to a trade, there is not further Veto Power.

20. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I don't like how this thread is labelled "sources". I guess I don't believe it. Its just a guess.
    No reporter has claimed which side the team is leaning towards. This is a situation where only someone in the Rockets organisation would have information on and they're not leaking info to clutchfans posters. Especially since this thread was made early yesterday, not even sure the team had a final answer.