1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets plan to resign Dwight this summer - NOT to MAX deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 2, 2016.

1. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

He did?! Danget now I cant trash talk the fool

2. krouchchocolate

man i would be pissed if dallas snatched him up.

3. cyberx

cyberx Member

1 person likes this.
  4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Never leave us cyberwoj

5. cyberx

cyberx Member

Wonder if that guy called sams boss to bust him

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I love Dwight, and I dont hate him for trying to get his money, but if he's putting feelers out there then cut the strings. Just irks me a little bit that he's not THAT invested in the team. Let him go team up with Chan the Man and be blissfully mediocre in Dallas.

7. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

I think Dwight is going to go to Miami or Dallas...

Luckily, Morey will have tons of cap space to work with.

8. malakas

malakas Member

we should keep this thread alive. Seems to lure Cyber to post more. :)

Cyber have you heard anything new? Anything even insignificant? Have the Lakers found a Swaggy P taker for example?
    Thanx cyber.

9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Respect cyber. Just want to ask if you have any thing on the head coaching front?

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Cyber - What's your hunch tell you about Dwight offers. Do you really think he's truly off the market now and almost certain a Rocket till the end of the season, or you think there will still be traction gained towards a trade by the deadline?

11. BackdoorHarden

DAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMNNNN

Sam Amick is stealing your material. He didn't quote you as his "SAUCES.":cool:

12. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Cyber definitely is legit. I just feel like he knows stuff, but is only allowed to leak stuff when his sources are going to let the media know.

Basically he knows stuff sooner than than the media, but isn't allowed to leak unless his sources want it to leak or it's a small thing that doesn't change anything.

Isn't it funny that cyberx comes out with Dwight news yesterday night and this morning all the media comes out with a bunch of Dwight-related news? The Boston talks probably didn't even happen this year. It probably could have happened in December, but only now is that stuff getting out to the public.

Either way, thanks cyberx. You and codman are greatly appreciated.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This^^^

There's been so much activity today I feel like something had to change.

14. BackdoorHarden

Yup, ESPN , USA, all the national media are writing about Dwight right after they read CyberX post.

Maybe CyberX is Chris Broussand "sauces???"

15. stepbackJ

stepbackJ Member

Need credible sauces...

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I'm very intrigued about possibly getting Barnes I think he will fit perfect here. Also taking into account the possibility KD don't sign here and with Dwight on the fence. He would bring serious versatility to our team. In my opinion he is very underrated.

17. BackdoorHarden

hello Draftboy10 with his new account today to discredit Cyberx;)

18. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

No, that's not what I'm saying. I think Cyberx is in the know for a lot of things for a good while. He likely knew about Rockets wanting to re-sign Dwight for weeks or possibly months. Just wasn't allowed to speak about the matter to anyone until his sources said "we're about to leak some stuff to the media in order to raise Dwight's value" or something. Because IIRC cyberx is connected to agents.

19. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

Here's the thing:

Morey wants to recoup the value Dwight brings to the table. Understandable. But as we all know, including himself likely, your probably not going to get all of the value. So if you're DM, you gotta really sit down with Dwight and talk about his free agency plans. I think that's why the rumors have come up. Dwight isn't sure what he wants to do. He knows he wants to be on a contender and make max money which is why Fegan called up Cuban. Cuban said he wouldn't pay Dwight max money (according to Cyberx). Cuban then leaked that the Rockets are looking to trade Dwight because Fegan is fielding offers.

But now we're hearing that Parsons will re-recruit Dwight. This puts pressure on Morey, Dwight, and possibly even the entire team.

So here's my thought. Morey knows Dwight may leave and perhaps Dwight or Fegan brought that up in a personal meeting. But the most likely suitor, Dallas, will not do a sign and trade which is why Morey is now "fielding" offers for Dwight. But he doesn't want it known because he respects Dwight and understand the kind of image he has and has previously had.

Folks, this is why we're hearing conflicting reports. Watkins, a mouthpiece for Morey, reported the Rockets are NOT shopping Dwight. Then Isola/Mannix say they are. Even Watkins himself said Morey had talks with Boston about Dwight in December.

So it seems like Dwight is on the block but its a low key thing.

PS.. I also think the Josh Smith trade may have been made to please Dwight due to his potential unhappiness.

20. basketballholic

Guys, this is simply smart GM'ing.

Morey is basically pre-negotiating a contract here. He's talking to Dwight's team and told them what he's willing to give Dwight going forward. He's given them plenty of time to dig around the market and find out what other teams would be willing to offer. Morey knows the market. He knows what teams are willing to pay Dwight. So, there's no reason to pay Dwight the super max deal if he doesn't have to. And it's best to know what Dwight wants to do now. If the salary limits Morey is putting out there rile Dwight and Fegan then they can go ahead and trade Dwight to the highest bidder. But if Fegans does a once-over of the market and comes to the conclusion that there isn't a better deal to be made then Fegans has to make a choice. Does he gamble Dwight's future by putting on an act that he won't re-sign, thereby forcing the Rockets to trade Dwight? Or does he play it straight and try to get a few more million for his client on the back end of a deal.

Remember, Dwight is eligible for a deal starting at around $30 million, with the 5th year going up to $52.5 million. You combine that salary with the new super-max we're going to have to feed Harden in 2 season and all of a sudden you've got one overpaid fading superstar and another super max superstar clogging up ~70% of the cap.

What Morey is doing is just smart business. Getting the cards on the table turned face up early so there's the fewest surprises down the road.

Don't be surprised if we try to trade for a young center that has an outstanding defensive reputation, say somebody like Ezeli, Noel, or possibly even a young up-and-coming guy like Cody Zeller. That would give us further leverage in dealing with Dwight's free agency. Not to mention give us enough cap to sign Barnes to an offer sheet (if he indeed is still in GS past the deadline, which I suspect better than a 50/50 chance he is traded in the next couple weeks) and force GS to have to decide to match it or let Barnes walk (the primary reason why I believe GS is going to trade Barnes in the next 2 weeks to avoid that scenario) for nothing.