1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets plan to resign Dwight this summer - NOT to MAX deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 2, 2016.

1. OldYelllowDog

OldYelllowDog Contributing Member

I'm glad they are paying that big contract for the microfracture injured role player.

I really want Dwight back in Houston, but not at the max. He is a good fit at the right price.

Some team probably will offer max, and then we see if Dwight really wants a ring, money or to stay. It's his life and career, he has been good to Houston as much as he can.

I believe the media makes him out to be someone he is NOT.

2. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

No it does not have to be the max, because it will not be an offer made for Barnes at that price by the Rockets. Max offer for Durant and maybe Horford. IMO it's a smoke screen to get Barnes value up for Golden State, so he's overpaid to stay.

3. malakas

malakas Member

Yes it has. Otherwise dont' even bother wasting time and meet him or talk to his agent.

4. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Do go on...

Your opinions are so much more interesting than cyberx's inside info. :rolleyes:

5. onreego

onreego Member

...Spurs?

6. onreego

onreego Member

Well, I guess getting your stars to buy into less money for the greater good doesn't really count as cheap.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Is the Durant news also good news?

1 person likes this.
  8. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

So if Durante chooses OKC, what do we do if GW offers Dwight a $20M contract to play center surrounded by curry, Thompsen, Barnes and Green? Wouldn't Dwight take that offer over a $20+m offer from Houston any day?

9. BackdoorHarden

Why would Warriors sign Dwight? They have Bogut and can sign Festus

10. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Why would GSW ruin their death lineup for no reason. If Durant ain't comin they're going to do everything to keep HB

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Warriors could go after Horford as a backup plan instead of Durant. That would also be a pretty damn good pickup for them. Not sure if its worth messing with chemistry, trading Iggy and Bogut though since it isn't a big grand slam signing like Durant.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Right? They can contend for the best season in NBA history literally without KD and Howard.

13. Asian Sensation

Howard returns to vintage form and averages 20/13 in the playoffs, locks down the paint and helps lead us to another deep run...at least WCF again let's say. Would we still not pay him the max? Someone will.

It's too early to talk about his contract. His worth will be determined in May.

14. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Big men are always paid more. Someone will give Dwight the max.

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

This is exactly why we need to trade him now....

Playoffs Dwight is a real thing, but so seems to ne regular season Dwight...

16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Do you think Barnes is 20ppg next season on a team that features him?

I could easily see him as another Paul George, worst case Khris Middleton.

17. OTMax

OTMax Member

Going after Barnes, isn't that against Morey's philosophy? "You want to be the team who drafts a Chandler Parsons, not the team to overpay to get him"...

18. malakas

malakas Member

Well I am not a Barnes expert but no. What has he added in his 4 years in the league? (Honest question).
    George and Middleton have added almost every year something.
    George is 2 years older and Middleton is 1 year older.
    There's a point about the role and usage, but remember that Kerr put Iggy in the bench because Barnes couldn't run it. Not because Iggy wasn't good enough to be a starter.
    Plus if you look at his advanced shooting stats from last years he was one of the least guarded shooters in the whole league.
    Last year:
    3s:
    Barnes : 76.7% open 24.8% wide open
    Middleton: 40% open 13.1% wide open
    Carroll (atlanta): 40.2% open 10.3% wide open

In our system he won't be able to get such good looks.
    For example Ariza's numbers from last year are
    40.6% open 11.3% wide open.

Then in those open 3s he had a 41% FG%.
    A far cry from the true elite shooters who when left open like that are almost automatic. (over 45%).

Then we have that he had only 25% of FGA self created with a good 51.6% FG% on those attempts.

So what I expect is that when Barnes joins another team and he becomes one of the pillars of their offence his 3pnt % will suffer an immediate and probably pretty big slump. But he has the abillity to perhaps create more in good efficiency.

However that is his market value. A versatile wing who is 2 way and strong and fast and that young. That is the contract he will make.
    And who knows. the GSW FO have leaked that they believe that with more opportunity and usage he's capable for more.
    Apparently Morrey shares that opinion and he knows better than me at least.

I would much rather pay about 10 per to Crabbe if I were a GM. But doubt that Portland wouldn't match anyway.
    Yeah there is the possibillity if Dwight has a great playoff perfomance, and if he waits for the market to dry a bit, some team will not find anyone else, will be left with 30+ million to spend ,see what he did in the playoffs and throw him over 25 per. (that's the number we should care about because over 25 per is when Dwight starts losing money).

And I still think even though Cyber didn't include them, that Boston should be interested. Would you trade Dwight for two first rounders in the 18-20 range and any of Sullinger, Zeller, RJ Hunter?

If Durant goes and joins GSW, and Morrey suspects it..then what's the point of paying a 31 y.o Dwight for 5 years?
    In my opinion it would be better then to reload with young talent.

19. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Dude... This post is borderline blasphemy haha.

Paul George is not efficient at all but he's a legit second option on a championship team. Khris Middleton is filthy good, has handles and can shoot for days (improving every season too).

Barnes from what I have seen doesn't have the handle of either player, nor the ability to create for himself consistently. I'd be happy to be proven wrong but it's unlikely.

We should pursue Horford 100% and pick up another shooter or two and great role players like PJ Tucker etc.

20. DuDDleyDawsonII

Its a rumor on hoopshype Celtics talking D12 trade.