1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets plan to resign Dwight this summer - NOT to MAX deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 2, 2016.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

spoilered ...

Don't want to derail thread further. Excuse my disdain for other teams talking to Howard's agent. Please keep convo in stealth/spoiler mode :)

In all business, "Testing the market" is a term usually reserved for a time when you can actually sign a contract. The NBA analogy is how RFAs "Test the Market" by negotiating an offer to tender.

Since this is not such a time, the info is somewhat worthless. People don't need to tell the truth, since nothing can be signed. Thus, I would not see enough value in the info to allow others access to my coveted player. An analogy I've asked previously, what value is it asking someone what they would sell their house for in a year? It's somewhat worthless info.

Likewise, as an agent or other GM, I wouldn't break the rules just to get such info which has little value​

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Amen brother, amen...

DD

3. Caesar

Caesar Member

Let Dwight walk. Get rid of every contract except Harden. Go hard at Horford, Barnes, Conley. Fill out the rest of the roster with older vets. Lets build a Detroit Pistons with Wallace's, Prince, Rip, Billups. A team filled with a bunch of solid players that are just below all star level. Hire Thibs.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

if durant goes to GS, everyone is screwed anyway :grin:

but i agree..i just figured that's where the conversation would go. I don't think Capela is ready to start unless we get another superstar next to Harden.

5. Nook

Nook Member

I want a line up of Howard/Griffin/Melo/Harden/Rose ....... That has the smell of EPIC collapse.... Up 35 in the 4th quarter of game 7, and lose by 10 type of disapointment..... Maybe have Randy Whitman and Doc Rivers be co-coaches.

6. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

a lot of you are down on dwight, forgot what he can do especially on a team that isnt down the shtter. when he's declining, playing on a team that has regressed wont help him at all. a better coach, a better system and if he can not be in and out of games, he'll and he'll go back to being a go to scorer.

there's also being an elite rim protecter and rebounder. if this team can get a real defense going, dwight will be an absolute killer. i hope morey doesnt fk up this offseason

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Okay, secrecy... ;)
    Not sure the house selling analogy works. Dwight's FA market is not that far off. He is ripe for trade if Houston doesn't think they can keep him for what they are willing to pay. Other teams know that and are likely vying for the opportunity. The trade deadline is looming. This is exactly the time when a player with expiring contract is thinking about the FA market.

I do agree that the other teams would probably lowball at this point. There's nothing to lose other than the possibility of the agent not negotiating with those teams when the time comes.

8. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Hope dwight finishes his career a rocket

9. Play07

Play07 Member

If we're not going to get a stretch 4 next to him let him walk, only + is DEFENSE and selling tickets off another star name just incase No one else comes

1. Free throws
    2. No jumper
    3. Injured often
    4. Not a leader
    5. Losing athleticism

10. malakas

malakas Member

Your analogy doesn't work. First of all there only too few houses in the market, and everyone must own 15 houses and everyone has about the same money to spend. And among the houses there are some villas that everyone wants to buy. But they are not often sold
    And taht's the thing.
    You say every GM would be smart to lowball Dwight since they can sign him anyway?
    But there is such a horrible FA market and even more horrible star market taht Dwigth's bird rights are crucial. If Dwight goes for 20 per there will be MANY teams going after him. Even at his age even with the full 4 years.We have his bird rights which means we have the advantage to keep him because we can offer him 20 million more. So his bird rights have immense value and that's what Morrey gains from the agent looking around. If you want Dwight next year, you have to trade for him to get his bird rights. And actually since noone is prepared so far to give him 30X4 =120 millions his bird rights in a potential trade become even more precious because the team who trades for him wont' have to fear for a max offer.
    And by the agent looking around and not finding a max, it also give mroe leverage to Morrey to knwo that he can play hardball and lower his price from 30 to 20. That's a BIG downgrade.

Btw I dont' think Dwight ends up getting only 20.

11. OpenLayup-Why3?

That's a lot of inside info. How does one know what Howard's camp did, what Lakers and Mavs said, what Morey is going to do?

12. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

It could happen, but Morey would not match if Detroit overpays. See Parsons, Chandler.

13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Jeezus who gives a damn about tampering? Draftboy go play in traffic...

Howard at $20m sets you up to offer a max deal to someone else. Horford or Conley sound good and maybe Morey sees something in Barnes like he saw in Harden; give him a larger role and let him turn into a star.

We will know soon enough if players like Bev, Brewer, or Ariza are traded for expirings.

14. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I see the mods sent DraftBoy10 on vacation. Kudos.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Because everyone is tampering...information crosses at some point. Plus, you only really need the source to be in Dwight's camp in this case, not in every city mentioned. I imagine Dwight's camp is several people and they would have heard all this directly and they probably leaked it out to an assistant or someone like that.

16. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

To sum this up
    1. Muchos gracias Cyber!!!!!!!
    2. Dwight taking market value from the Rox!!! Yes!!!
    3. Harrison Barnes a possibility.. Big $ though
    4. Enjoy testing free agency DraftBoy!!!

17. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Batman is on the case.

18. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

please dont feed the "genius" troll that is draftboy.

lol...he is a 39 year old fat greasy bald guy living in his moms basement. This is his only source of self-gratification. Just let him have it.

Cyber is wrong and you are right Mr. Draftboy.

19. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Cocaine is a hell of a drug

20. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I don't think he's eligble for that much money he hasn't made and all NBA team or Allstar team. Could be wrong.