1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Sources: Rockets have eyes on Jimmy B

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Sep 18, 2018.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Butler would be the clear 3rd option here, and would barely make the All-Star team in the West, if at all due to that situation.

Butler would be the 2nd option, and maybe even sometimes 1st option in Philly. He'd also walk to the ECF every year, and pretty easily be an All Star starter.

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Morey's philosophy reminds me of that one guy who started out with a red paper clip and kept advertising on Craigslist that he wanted to trade it for just about anything of equal or possibly great value. Eventually, after many, many trades, he ended up with a HOUSE.

If we trade two guys of excellent value for one of exceptional value, I'm okay with it. Morey never seems to have a problem finding guys to fill in the non-star roles, even the important ones.

D-rock, BigMaloe, luckyman76 and 7 others like this.
  3. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

PJ Tucker played inspiring basketball against the Warriors. It could be recency bias, but I'd hate to lose him and his toughness. He is very valuable against the Warriors.

With that said, this is still a tempting deal, and one that I would understand if it happens.

4. Blackjack84

Blackjack84 Member

I'm honestly not sure about that I think butler is a bit overrated

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

if anyone thinks hes a superstar, then yeah id say thats overrating him. but an all star in this league for sure.

Blackjack84 and LiamBaller34 like this.
  6. baubo

baubo Member

I can see this happening. The fact that Minnesota wants to win now means EG and Tucker makes sense for them as opposed to high draft picks we don’t have.

But I don’t think it will happen in the offseason. More like a potential trade deadline move if the Wolves look bad.

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Agreed. EG is fine. Butler is an upgrade. But Tucker is pivotal to this team. Especially with the loss of Ariza and Luc and the departure of Bzdelik. Throw in Chriss if they want a big man, but Tucker is untouchable.

YOLO likes this.
  8. mig0s

mig0s Member

Im willing to do MCW + Joe Cheese for Butler

9. cyberx

cyberx Member

Butler has been an All Star 4x. EG has not been an AS once... I know you love EG, he is awesome, but JB is a better, more rounded player.

10. today

today Contributing Member

This would go a LONG way towards helping Morey get the best deal.

@cyberx: Have you heard that Butler is doing this?

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

The stats bear that out:

EG in 2 years with Houston: .366 from 3
    Jimmy B in his last 2 years: .359 from 3

EG career playoffs: .358 from 3
    Jimmy B career playoffs: .373 from 3

D-rock, BigMaloe, luckyman76 and 6 others like this.
  12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Does that ‘deal’ actually move things forward - or back?

Yes, yes - - in a multi-for-1 deal the ‘1’ wins almost all the time. I’m just not sold it’s in the best interests???

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

luckily this deal has little chance of coming to fruition, because i'm not down with sending out EG & Tuckwagon

Little Bit likes this.
  14. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

how much better or upgrade from EG to Butler? Definitely not by THAT much....

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

very comparable despite less volume by Butler. EG gets most of his points from the 3, which is obviously a big part of this offense but Butler can somewhat replicate that, while also adding more ways to score such as the post and off ball.

Chanmarr and topfive like this.
  16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Butler is a great player.

That is a really good deal.

amaru and Plowman like this.
  17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I like Gordon, but he has outplayed who he actually is. Odds are he is due for a down season, and I think now is the perfect time to sell high.

Butler is freaking awesome and is just right as a third option for a championship team. High efficiency, great advanced stats, low turnovers, great defender.

Get Ariza back on a buyout after the trade deadline and roll with this lineup:

Paul
    Harden
    Butler
    Ariza
    Capela

18. 1Deep

1Deep Member

Enough.

DonKnock likes this.
  19. CXbby

CXbby Member

The only reason you hesitate with this deal is if you are misvaluing Butler. There are allstars and then there are superstars. Allstars are like Klay Thompson, Paul George, Oladipo, Booker, Kyrie, Wall, CJ McCollum etc. But there is only a handful of superstars, LeBron, Steph, Kd, Harden etc.

Butler is neither. But he is a lot closer to superstar than allstars. For some reason Kawhi is the bigger name, maybe due to the winning in SA, but they are on the same level. Much moreso than someone like PG.

So if you told me you are trading EG and Tucker and a first for an allstar, I would hesitate and probably say no. But for a guy like Butler who is bumping up against the bottom end of the superstar spectrum, you sadly but gladly thank PJ Tucker for all his contributions and trade him without blinking twice, just like you did Beverley for CP3.

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I agree with all of those who are hesitant to give up two top 5(ish) players for one.

But then I remember the immediate reaction to the Patrick Beverley + Lou Williams for Chris Paul trade. At the time I was also a little ambivalent.

D-rock likes this.