1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets have eyes on Jimmy B

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

The 4 firsts??

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

So you’d be willing to bump your initial offer of 2 1sts up to 4? I like Bradley Beal, but what we really need is a high level 2-way wing with size.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Even with our flaws this year, I think we defend the 3 pt line above averagely well. (12-13th Opponent 3pt percentage)

BigMaloe and HP3 like this.
  4. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

You're right. If we lose Gordon I wouldn't want to also lose 4 firsts without a major haul. It would have to make sense for both teams involved. Any team that is trying to trade away a star for picks most likely would also want to tank to rebuild....which makes the Butler situation unique. They want to compete which is why thibs wants players who can help contribute now along with future assets. It just seems like a deal would be done if they were willing to deal with us.... might be time to start looking elsewhere. These next few games will tell us a lot about our current team. Especially once harden is back. I don't want to hit the panic button but a loss to Brooklyn or Chicago wouldn't be pretty. Hopefully Ennis back tonight and harden tomorrow will give us the boost we need to get through this tough stretch

Reeko likes this.
  5. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Jayson Tatum, Otto Porter, Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler. Can the Rockets find this type of talent in the draft. Daryl has to look more closely at prospects in College or High School.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

thank God we at least do 1 thing on defense at an above average level

opponent points in the paint (30th), opponent free throw attempts per game (20th), opponent fastbreak ppg (19th), and rebounding (18th in defensive rebounding percentage) is what’s killing us

having Harden and Ennis back will improve the defense a little bit...Harden will improve the offense (stuff like less missed shots leading to less run outs for the opponent in transition), and Ennis will kick Melo out of the starting lineup and lower his minutes so he’s only killing us for hopefully 20 minutes a night instead of over 30

Moleb, Vivi, BigMaloe and 3 others like this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

Dont forget that we are 26th in fouls drawn per game :(

Reeko and BigMaloe like this.
  8. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Which, with harden back, leads to more FT attempts and having a rested and set defense.

DonKnock, Nook, Reeko and 2 others like this.
  9. HP3

HP3 Member

Yup, let's just have hope that maybe this our 5 game losing streak from last year come early

10. BigMaloe

Question of curiosity to those out there. Would you consider the following trade

Knight, nene, chriss and 4 1sts to miami

For

James Johnson, josh Richardson and rodney mcgruder

I'm trying to feel out value.

I wouldn't do it personally, even tho I really like all 3 players. It just seems way too much mortgaging of the future for players who are ultimately just role players or super role players.

11. Vivi

Vivi Member

I like the players and the idea but yeah, what you said in the end.

Also don't think Riley would do it.

12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Not a chance. Giving up four firsts is insane even if they are late teens to mid 20s to even late 20s. Minnesota not accepting that offer is asinine, if four picks were actually on the table. I wanted Butler and even with getting a star in return I was a bit apprehensive about trading so many picks so deep in the future. Those 2023/2025 could have ended up being lottery picks and even 2019 could end up in the lottery the way we are playing now. The West is stacked and honestly we can't just expect a 1-5 team to right the ship. You only give that kind of package for a bonafide star or a young guy with bonafide star potential. Josh Richardson has had a nice stretch of games, but Jeremy Lin once upon a time was the talk of the NBA and look at him now. Sustained greatness is a rarity. Butler is one of maybe 20 players in the NBA who could be worth mortgaging your future on.

I'm just excited for the day where we can be done with this saga so our team can move on and try to get into a nice groove.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Even if the Butler-to-Houston trade were to happen, I think it would occur on Sunday at the earliest. Tonight the Wolves play Golden State. The Rockets have a back-to-back Friday and Saturday.

Remembering that "if" is the longest two-letter word in the dictionary.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

What does that mean? Curious where you got that from.

15. BigMaloe

Agreed.

Same deal for tobias, montrezl, and bev?

Again I say no even tho I like tobias even more.

16. rockets13champs

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, personally i like Richardson more than Harris and JJ more than Trez (even though Trez is younger and i like him a lot), especially for us but, yeah...

BigMaloe likes this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

I don’t think u can justify sending out 4 picks for anything less than a star

I just can’t see our window extending past this season with Harden, CP3, and a bunch of role players

if Morey could somehow repackage a combo of these newly acquired players and whatever is left on the roster into a 3rd star then that could be interesting

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. BigMaloe

The whole thought exercise is for me to try and gauge the value of 4 1sts.

No one has even thought of "those picks wont be good" or "depends on the protections"

It's just a flat no.

Which is obvious imo. Makes me really scratch my head at minny lol

DonKnock likes this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

That Wed/Thru break was a good time and now it is passed. I agree, now you are likely looking at Sunday at the earliest.

Butler could help himself by being "general soreness" again and not play vs GSW to force Minny's hand. The more he waffles, the more Thibs is content to just keep on keeping on. He won't care. For the Rockets to get something done BUTLER has to rattle the saber. They have to get the owner to make the trade. Thibs ain't doing $hit.

slothy420, BigMaloe and DonKnock like this.