1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets have eyes on Jimmy B

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Sep 18, 2018.

1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Idk if I buy this report. If this is true, why did Minnesota not immediately say yes? Maybe we are just waiting to trade Knight or something.

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Knight and Chriss cannot be traded until Oct 31st so thats probably the hold up at the moment. No way a player like Gordon is going to be shipped if FOUR 1st are involved. I believe the Miami offer of Richardson, Olynyk and a 1st is worth less than four 1sts which can add a bunch of young talent cheap in the future or at least be used in trades for the Wolves.

No way Gordon and four 1sts are being shipped out from Houston that is way too much risk for Jimmy Butler. Look if it was like AD or KD etc. Thats one thing but Butler is like the perfect 3rd guy on a championship team in today's era you dont trade away all that for someone like Butler.

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I agree. The only way I see it is something else would have to be happening. Something perhaps with Capela also but with another great player coming back. I just can’t see all of that happening or who it could even be.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The problem with this, is the Rockets time horizon isn't the same as Boston. Agree with Boston's approach for their team, but can't apply that to the Rockets.

This is WIN NOW mode at Harden and especially CP3's age. Things have to be maximized NOW.

4 picks sounds like a lot. But if the Rockets keep Gordon, Tucker and Capela they can always move off any of them for a pick later for themselves.

The Rockets would still have the ability to pivot. Morey isn't throwing all his chips on the table without exit or pivot strategies.

HP3, malakas, RudyTBag and 2 others like this.
  5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

First off, I guess the sense is that the Rockets will not likely be bad enough in the foreseeable future to get a top 10 pick.

Second, even top 10 picks are dubious in terms of getting a star quality player. There are plenty of busts in the #3-#10 range. In other words, even the high picks are some kind of crap shoot, a lot of luck involved. If Morey's track records in midrange first rounders aren't any better than other GMs, I doubt that his analytics can help him do better than the average GM in the top 10 range. My theory of this is that the data you get for a player in the draft are always non-NBA data, and quite limited in terms of sample size. Any data-based system is only as good as the data you have access to. These college and Euro players simply do not have enough good data for the analytics to work as good as NBA players.

Perhaps when the rest of the league is catching up to this, they will start to realize that veteran players have more value than draft picks.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Somewhat yeah, NBA stats are the most sought after and accurate. I imagine College stats being at least helpful.

7. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

I would hate to do the long view research on this but outside of known superstars in drafts that we are never getting again most serviceable NBA players take 4-5 years to develop. Essentially, the original team gets to pay for their NBA training without the reward and you find all of these players being journeymen and winding up good on other teams. PJ Tucker, Ariza, GG just from our club. Our star chasing makes a lot of sense because we are the team that collects these odd pieces when their perceived value is at its lowest but actual value the highest after they have developed and people had already formed an opinion about what they could do. The sad truth is that outside of Capela who filled a position of need and blossomed what other 1st are we going to draft and actually give the playing time needed to develop. We know that answer now so these people have even less value to us in the future than what value they can bring now in a star. We cannot beat Boston for Anthony Davis and that is about the only other player we could go after beyond Butler. This is the time to strike and we have already surpassed my wildest expectations in how competitive we could be here. I thought 100% we had no shot. If you told me this offseason we could put Ryno in a box with some cash and a lot of draft picks and magically turn it into Jimmy Butler I would have told you it was crazy and impossible. We may actually have a chance at doing it only because Morey did that other incredible trade saving our draft picks.

topfive, chievous minniefield and jcf like this.
  8. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

MORE
    DAYS

malakas and lionaire like this.
  9. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Apparently the Wolves and Heat are talking again according to

IMO the rockets offer of 4 first rounder even with very limited protections & chriss/knight isnt a great deal for Twolves, especially if they can get Miami to add to their initial offering.

Why?

The Rockets for have never been a bottom 10 team in the past 15 years!
    Morey/front office have been frankly incredible at finding talent via free agents/trades and drafting for past decade.
    The first two picks are almost guaranteed to be high 20's pick while the last two are likely to be either late lottery at best considering the Morey/Rockets history. Even if the Rockets are a terrible team in 2023 or 25, there is still the limited protections to worry about.
    Historically, late 1st round picks have a TINY probability of even becoming starting players in the league. Most are out of the league in a couple years.
    Knight has negative value and would probably cost the Rockets a1st rounder just to dump.

D-rock likes this.
  10. DaneB

DaneB Member

I think it’s pretty obvious what is going on. The Heat and Rockets are the only ones still at the bargaining table. The Rockets pushed their chips all in for Butler. The Wolves are the dealer and are waiting to see if the Heat will match. I can guarantee that the Heat won’t throw in 4 picks!

I’m thinking the situation is like this:

Thibs wants to win now. So he wants Gordon and Tucker to still be able to compete. The owner is looking more at the long term health of the team and knows they can’t win now. He is all for the 4 picks as long as there isn’t a better deal with the Heat. Thibs has been removed from trade discussions according to NBA Central. So that means that picks win out as long as the Heat don’t give them enough young talent. Besides, can you imagine what the Wolves might be able to get if they combined Houston’s picks with maybe 1 or 2 of their own? Butler should be in Houston!

Easy and hakeem94 like this.
  11. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

12. mockster

mockster Member

@cyberx

Heard anything relating to Rockets offer?.

13. rockets13champs

Minny wants Gordon... with the way out season is going. Minny is using our losing and desperation as leverage to force us to throw in Gordon

14. Zergling

Zergling Member

The good thing about the Rockets struggling off the bat is those 1st round picks are looking juicier for the Wolves by the day!

By Oct 31st I think Minny is going to be convinced that they simply cannot turn an offer down like that.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. ReturnOfTheMac

If we make this deal it will be a guarantee JB will resign or there is no way they’d pull this trade off. With kd leaving the warriors next year the league is ours for the next 4 years. But we need to keep adding to the bench, I see eg and 2-3 first rounders. Use the other go get a Kelly Oubre or someone like that

DonKnock and D-rock like this.
  16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If we get Jimmy, we better get back to switching everything. Only way to beat the Warriors.

HP3 likes this.
  17. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

Gordon played his way out of my heart... ✌

Can’t dribble worth a damn and frantic af on the court.

18. pauebtg

pauebtg Member

A shooter who can't shoot...At this point, I'd rather have Tucker shooting his corner 3's all day, instead of EG chucking it up. Also, what do you think Butler is? He easily averages 20+ ppg, can score more than Gordon and plays better defense too.

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he dribbled his way out of your heart

20. mockster

mockster Member

And we should, maybe lower the pick count. I wouldn’t take 4 late round picks and two injured below mid level players. That’s not gonna get minny anywhere anytime soon