1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets have eyes on Jimmy B

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

You can’t make trades with picks for consecutive years though so it would be ‘19,’21,’23,’25 which is obviously not just a four year stretch.

I’m honestly in favor of the deal, but I think it’s A LOT and if Jimmy isn’t willing to sign the extension upon arrival like James did then it’s not worth it.

Corrosion and amaru like this.
  2. HP3

HP3 Member

That's fair

3. ksny15

ksny15 Member

What? We are in win now mode the window is small. Look at our last 4 first round picks.. They are garbage. This is a great trade for both teams. The icing on top would be keeping EG

CP3
    Harden
    Butler
    PJ
    Cling
    EG
    Melo
    Ennis
    Green
    Hart

That is an insane team

gatsby, D-rock, clutchdabear and 5 others like this.
  4. hibbetts

hibbetts Member

4 future firsts for a "p o s s I b l e " one year rental? ??? well.......

5. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

If your GM offers to relinquish all first rounders for the next 7 years to trades or trade prohibition (because of the consecutive-first rule), that could be a guy figuring he'll be gone when most of the debt comes due.

But if your owner does it, that's a guy saying he's willing to suffer the debt and go through a long spell of bad years with no relief. If the issue is ticket sales and marketability, those problems will only get worse.

I love competing for championships. But there's an enormous risk here that we'll have mortgaged ourselves in the post-Warriors era for the dubious privilege of having lost every year to the Warriors. The smarter approach is Boston's, letting the Dubs have their run and stacking your team for the years that follow.

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

While I'm with you in that I think we're giving up too much, I think we're also ignoring the rapidly closing window we have with CP3/Harden. Harden is definitely the best player we've had since Hakeem and you want to waste that?

gatsby, D-rock, clutchdabear and 10 others like this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

Well its too late for Boston's approach anyways and not to mention(apparently I dont have a source) Les never wanted Morey to tank so ...I mean what can you do. I'm down for this, all or nothing. I would love to beat these Warriors as constructed, would mean more for me personally.

8. dmoneybangbang

This. With the mandate of the owner, Morey would do what it take to make the Butler trade. Morey would do the best he could to extract the most value; I would fully expect Morey to try to get a second rounder(s) and pick protection(s) out of this.

D-rock and DonKnock like this.
  9. rockets13champs

10. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I'm torn. In general, I buy into the philosophy of combining your assets to magnify the odds of winning when you're good.

The problem is that we're doing this at the worst possible moment, when one team has stacked itself to the point of absurdity.

11. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I can't disagree with that, but...if we're waiting for the Warriors to be bad, you might be waiting a decade or more. That seems pointless. Think about how long it took the Spurs to not be as good as they were.

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  12. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Guys calling Butler a potential trade to the Rockets "a rental" are delusional.

There is no way a guy with history of injuries would pass on 190M 5 year deal with his hometown team on a discount (in terms of taxes) market, while he would contend for the NBA Title for 3 years at least and his regression because of age will be much slower due to caliber of players around him in Houston

Especially after Morey kept his word by offering CP3 a 4 year max even after his injury in WCF.

It's basically 4 picks in 7 years for 6 years of Jimmy Butler, so it's all about another players on a package.

If EG and Tucker are in - we are screwed, if it's a Knight's contract - we are a favourite to win in at all in a Warriors league for at least 3 years with core of CP3-James-Butler-Tucker-Capela-Gordon and minimum deals, especially due to Klay, Durant and Draymond contract situation.

I'm all in for Knight + 4 first-rounders

D-rock, gatsby, clutchdabear and 8 others like this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

True, but both Morey and Tilman know that there's a massive difference between Sacramento/Phoenix/Cleveland 1st-round picks and Houston/Golden State 1st-round picks. A 2019 Honda and a 2019 Bentley are both brand-new cars, right?

Tilman doesn't want to ever tank, so he sees our 1st-round picks as always being #24-#30ish. Those are Hondas. We're basically trading 4 Hondas for a Bentley.

D-rock, Sanity2disChaos and HP3 like this.
  14. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

The only thought that makes me sympathetic to this calculation is: Maybe, just maybe, Morey has decided that the next analytical revolution in basketball will be everyone figuring out that first-round picks are overrated. In which case, why not cash out ours before that market crashes.

tnopham, D-rock, clutchdabear and 7 others like this.
  15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Morey has a habit of snatching mid-first round talent in the second. *shrug*

D-rock, clutchdabear and topfive like this.
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

If we keep Gordon and Tucker...we can beat them, we can definetly beat them. We have no idea how Cousins is gonna look to begin with, and even then we will iso him off the floor.

clutchdabear likes this.
  17. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

They are at a current all time high it feels like

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm pretty sure he's already figured out that very late first-round picks barely qualify as first-round picks.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. tracymac

tracymac Member

Not to mention the fact they are worse from a salary cap flexibility standpoint than 2nd round picks. Late firsts get guaranteed deals.

20. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Hi, first post on the thread, always a fan of our insiders, the real ones, but i've suffered long threads before and real life flow did not align with the anxiety generated by a Jimmy B news cycle could generate.

But really happy to come and see all the doubters eat crow.

Confirmed by a Woj bomb, nothing less.

hakeem94 and DonKnock like this.