1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets have eyes on Jimmy B

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Sep 18, 2018.

1. amaru

amaru Member

Would rather not lose Tucker but Butler would be outstanding

2. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

What do you mean?

3. meh

meh Member

If the Rocket need to take on Dieng's contract in this trade the number make it hard to fit. My quick dirty math has EG, Tucker, Nene, Zhou Qi out being still not reaching the 25% difference needed to make it work. Things will be much easier in December when our new signings can be traded, particularly Chriss. But for now that seems a difficult fit.

4. Matt78777

Matt78777 Member

Unless you did the trade you describe and trade Brandon knight for dieng in a separate trade (since you can’t aggregate his salary with others yet).

5. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

6. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Howard was known as a poor chemistry fit everywhere he’s bees

tmactoyao likes this.
  7. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Probably the 2nd worst comment on this entire thread, the first being "They can take anything that isn't in our Top 6":rolleyes:

The Rockets literally wasted 3 years of Hardens prime with the Dwight Howard experiment.

hakeem94 and amaru like this.
  8. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

All three of the guys I have mentioned have been considered "poor chemistry" fits in some shape or form.

Dwight has clashed with SVG, MDA, Nash, Kobe, etc...
    Melo has clashed with Karl, MDA, etc...
    CP3 clashed with Blake and Doc.

Jimmy is no different in that sense that he's clashed with every single former teammate/coach.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...p-bulls-fred-hoiberg-tom-thibodeau/847500001/
    https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/c...lls-joakim-noah-derrick-rose-werent-same-page
    https://www.si.com/nba/2015/08/15/chicago-bulls-jimmy-butler-point-guard
    https://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/27/...ane-wade-jimmy-butler-chicago-bulls-instagram
    + all the KAT and Wiggins stuff (they are soft, but it also doesn't rule out the fact that JB could easily be a cancer).
    I get why he acts that way, but you can't deny that there's A LOT of potential for implosion.

Melo was a low-risk add. Fine addition, no problem adding him. CP3 didn't really cost much from an asset standpoint, it was more about "fit." Amazing addition, no qualms then or now. Dwight filled a need and our team was built differently now. No problem back then, obviously it didn't work out and it's F Dwight.

Situation is different now because the risk is greater. EGod + Tuck + 1st is by far more than anything we've given up in a long time. JB's a top 15 guy, but I don't really know how to feel yet. I'm far more cautious with this than any other big name we've added.

9. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Ahh I misread or misinterpreted then

10. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

What are you talking about?

I never said that Howard wasn't a waste.

You must have misinterpreted or you're arguing something completely different.

11. CALI_MOST_WANTD

In my opinion price is to high for him. Tucker Eg and picks. No thanks. We already have lost to much this off season. Maybe if we kept Tucker it would be better deal.

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

And "win now" = "save his job"

Deuce and Nook like this.
  13. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

MELTON :p

Reeko likes this.
  14. sage281

sage281 Member

I don't post much but I know @cyberx and @Codman are valued around here. I love getting ANY info they feel like sharing and nothing grinds my gears more than ppl posting about their cred. Just read and moved past it if you have your doubts. No need to ruin it for the rest of us

15. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

while I have to agree that if it comes to it, you gotta take the risk.. but you can't honestly say you're a 100% comfortable giving up two very valuable rotation pieces for one.

just thinking back...this scenario reminds me of trading cassell and horry for barkley. chuck was still top 10 at that time, but to think what we could have done with another year of cassell, horry, dream, and drexler... big 3 of dream, drexler, and chuck never came close to what the previous team with horry and cassell achieved. makes me nervous about ego and pj for butler after all the chemistry building moments that we had last year.

if somehow a 3rd team is involved and we can at least keep pj.. i'm all for it.

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

lol Melton getting hyped like he was the truth before playing in 1 NBA game...I’m sitting there like

[​IMG]

Mr Chuck Norris and hakeem94 like this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

don’t get me wrong, I really want to keep Tuck, but he’s definitely not a deal breaker when we’re talking about a player the caliber of Jimmy Butler...I’ll drive Ego to the airport myself

my dream starting lineup would be

CP3
    Harden
    Butler
    Tuck
    Capela

I see no weaknesses once Butler gets acclimated

hakeem94, joshuaao and Relativist like this.
  18. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Why in the world would you think that I wouldn’t think Butler brings that kind of intensity? Yes he does for sure. That’s not my point.

When you’re trying to stop the likes of the Warriors, don’t you think the Rockets would be better served throwing several guys like that at them? I don’t have to tell you how difficult it is to keep the Dubs from scoring, so I want to beat them up. Keeping Tucker and adding Butler would help do that.

craguin likes this.
  19. meh

meh Member

Presumably in codman's scenario, the Wolves want to get rid of Dieng's contract not turn into a slightly lesser albatross.

20. heypartner

heypartner Member

uh, I'm not so sure about that. He's one of the unlucky stars who was a Free Agent the year *before* the big cap jump. That's a HUGE pay cut to keep that old contract alive.

Dude's making less than Ryno right now. He might resign with them though, for the max. But he needs a new contract, and not extend the current, or he's leaving tens of millions on the table.

BigMaloe, DonKnock and mikol13 like this.