1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets exploring a Yao Ming trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets25, Dec 27, 2010.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

It's very interesting that Feigen has updated his blog, usually he will answer questions every few hours but hasn't since this morning....just curious.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Nope, so they would not be waiving Yao......

DD

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Sacramento does not have salary issues. But they may be enticed to move Cousins if they could get Yao to go along with Brooks and have the opportunity to try to re-sign Yao and pair him up with Tyreke and Brooks. The Maloof brothers may bite on the opportunity to try to corral that cash cow.

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

DD, in response to your response to my post:

--I would imagine that the Rockets would at least consult with Yao on the possibility of a reunion next season before trading him, although they technically are not allowed to have a "deal" in place or risk suffering the same fate as the Timberwolves after the Joe Smith fiasco.

--As for the Rockets knowing about the new CBA, I think you greatly underestimate the amount of negotiation and compromise that has not yet taken place and has not yet even been considered. Sure, Les and Morey may have a very firm grasp of the league's/owners' position on all issues RIGHT NOW. But those positions may change during the course of the labor negotiations. To bet that your former franchise player will be able to re-sign with the team because the new salary structure will DEFINITELY allow it is foolhardy. I am sure that Morey at least acknowledges the risk of which I warn, but trading Yao may just be worth that risk.

--On the league's bluster, I'm inclined to agree with you on that. But you never want to be The Example that the league FINALLY chooses to make out of a team for "improper conduct" or some such thing.

--On Les's business ties to China, I don't think trading Yao will somehow result in China and its businesses "kicking Les out". If his current investments in China are good investments, then Les will keep them going. If they are bad investments, he will look to cut his losses. He's no idiot. Plus, I think he will continue to have at least SOME cachet in China for his FORMER ties to Yao Ming. Look at what it has done for marginal/former Rockets players who ONCE played with Yao Ming.

5. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

Yup just saw it on SC.. Multiple teams looking at Yao.. eh a new era in Rox history i suppose..

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Well this is unexpected.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nba/101227-rockets-yao-ming

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Trading Yao could afford Houston a "win-now" mentality once again, while still preserving the chance to rebuild if necessary. This trade will be a win-win for both teams involved, and Yao could possibly come back to Houston later in his career. It sucks to trade him, but with Houston knocking at the door of playoffs I cannot blame them for at least exploring their options. This team is one injury free superstar away from being great.

9. Garner

Garner Member

Is it?

10. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

11. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Kinda sad but needs to happen.

12. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

What about team merchandise? Does the revenue from team apparel get distributed amongst every team in the league? I have trouble believing that Yao only increases team profits by 5%....Ticket sales, increased # of fans, increased global market of your specific team and products. There's a lot there, and unless all of that is being profit shared, Yao's dollar value is much higher than what he brings to the court.

There are a number of teams struggling financially that could use Yao's marketability as well as his expiring contract. Think of a team like Phoenix; Nash + Yao make for amazing marketing possibilities, especially overseas. If they continue to underacheive and come close to the trade deadline with as poor a record as they have, Gortat packaged with others for Yao might benefit both teams.

13. choujie

choujie Member

Good for both parties.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

15. choujie

choujie Member

If Yao can't play, his marketability will be gone. Just a money saving contract at this moment.

16. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

An added point about Pheonix that might be of benefit to Yao: they are widely regarded as having one of the better strength/conditioning programs in the NBA, helping Amare post microfracture and Grant Hill.

17. Raven

Raven Member

Perhaps Morey leaked this to the press?

18. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

I tend to think all is not as it seems with this. I think this has less to do with an actual intention to trade Yao, but more of testing the waters and playing what if. I still think that Les and the Rockets are concerned about the Chinese reaction, and perhaps they are floating this just to see what the reaction would be. Perhaps they are only considering a trade if Yao officially retires, and thus want to get a feel for what's out there.

Even then, I don't think this is going to turn into a big win for us overall. Even with the insured contract, I don't think we can repeat the McGrady hall because the summer of FA isn't looming...making teams try and shed salary as much as possible. Sure teams will want to trade for the financial reasons only, but are they going to give away good 1st round picks and solid talent with little if any talent returning? I kinda doubt it. Perhaps we pick up a poision contract in the process, but again, not likely to be that great of a haul.

19. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yes, they can. So I think they'll wait to get the DPE before trading Yao.

20. deshen

deshen Member

Good news. Hope that Morey could get the best out of it.