1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets exploring a Yao Ming trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets25, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

For sure. Why don't people know these simple things. You need to combine either the TPE or the DPE with someone's salary in order to take his salary. :p

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Way to be part of the problem, CH.

Misinformation, people! Misinformation!

:rolleyes: :grin:

3. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

I hope Morey is willing to take on Harrington's contract. That man can play the 3 well. We can get him via a trade exception.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I just suppose - that whatever team is required/pushed to acquire AH's contract might just find a flip partner in Cubes, for Hayward. Lousy contract, but he is tall.

5. tjpatel2

tjpatel2 Member

Although Houston does not have a building block talent, such as Derrick Favors, to offer in trade proposals, the Rockets could theoretically put together a cost-saving package that Denver would be amenable to if Carmelo refuses to sign an extension with New Jersey and Denver resorts to "rental" trade offers.

I came up with the following framework: http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=4s6k5xy

Denver sends out 40.3M in salary and only takes back 26.9M. This instantly reduces their payroll by 13.4M and should put them a shade under the luxury tax. Furthermore, taking into consideration the luxury tax payment that they would avoid (approximated to be 13M), the 2.5M or so they would receive from the league for being under the luxury tax, and the savings from Yao's insured contract (approximated to be 8M), the Nuggets would receive tremendous savings overnight.

Denver also receives Battier (stop-gap replacement on an expiring contract), Patrick Patterson (young prospect), Yao Ming's bird rights, and draft considerations. Where do these draft picks come from since the Rocket's are currently handcuffed due to the Terrance Williams trade?

The bulls send over an unprotected first rounder in 2012 to the Rockets. Considering the bulls are a title contender, they have no reason to lottery protect their draft pick, and they are desperate for a starting-caliber two-guard. Acquiring the bulls pick releases the handcuffs and allows Houston to package a collection of draft picks to Denver. Also, the Kings would have to package a future draft pick to the Rockets (most likely a second rounder since they are taking on more salary this season) for Aaron Brooks.

Again this is just a rough framework of the type of deal that Morey could work. This deal was done without using any trade exceptions, the disabled player exception that Houston is expected to be granted soon, or the expiring contract of jared jeffries. This trade still leaves Houston with a lot of assets to swing another deal to bring in another impact player either in the future or in a separate trade at the deadline to compliment Melo.

6. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

i like it... except, if Denver was willing to deal with the Rockets, and this is what the trade scenario looks like... i would try to substitute Jeffries and Hill in place of PatPat and Battier.

PatPat is more ready to play and Hill is more of a project. And Jeffries doesnt play much. If the Rockets take a chance on the rental, they're gonna be in WIN NOW mode and Battier and Patterson would contribute MUCH MORE than Jeffries and Hill.

7. srrono

srrono Member

lol every1 thinks we can get players for nothing in return

8. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Oh cmon! You dont think we can get Dwight, CP3, and Melo for Yao+Hill+AB+Jeffries+(enter one more scrub here)?? Dream big man! it can happen! (In NBA2k :grin: )

9. Sanity2disChaos

Samething I was thinking!! you cant give up trash and expect gold in return!!

10. mazinger

mazinger Member

Hmmm....If I remember correctly, last year we traded trash and got Martin, Hill a 1st pic and 1st rd swap.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I wouldn't really consider Our go to 4th quarter scorer trash (Landry)

12. BimaThug

Supporting Member

True. But I will postulate that, even in a worst case scenario, Morey got a steal even if the deal turns out to be:

Carl Landry
    Tracy McGrady
    Joey Dorsey

for

Kevin Martin
    Jordan Hill
    Jared Jeffries (for 1.5 seasons)
    Hilton Armstrong (for 0.5 seasons)
    #30 pick of 2012 NBA Draft (worst case scenario on pick, plus not counting pick swap)

I don't know about you, but I'd do that trade any day of the week and twice on Sunday, and that still doesn't even account for the fact that (1) the pick swap is still conceivably helpful, (2) the 2012 pick will most likely be higher than #30, and (3) the Knicks are somewhat constrained in getting better via trade BECAUSE the Rockets have their 2012 pick.

13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

You want Carmelo to come here? Better start by doing everything humanly possible to turn Yao Ming and tons of cap relief into Chris Paul + Emeka Okafor. If we are good enough to pull that off I bet Carmelo would start pushing hard for a trade in our direction. I know all of these scenarios are pipe dreams, but why not go after the dream that will actually make us contenders rather than the Denver Nuggets pt 2?

14. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Since NO is owned by the NBA, aka David Stern.. i dont think there's anyway they would trade CP3, but if somehow Morey can steal CP3 away, and lure Melo here, than that would be freakin awesome!

Question for the Salary Cap gurus tho.. Lets say the Rockets are able to put together a package that the Nuggets like, but again, Melo is hesitant to sign an extension.. can Denver offer more than 3yr/$65 mil and then we make the trade for him to "sweeten" the deal for Melo?

15. BimaThug

Supporting Member

I'm not sure I understand the question.

But the three-year, ~$65 million extension (which, when added to Carmelo's guaranteed ~$18 million salary for next season under his current contract, gets him to four years, ~$83 million after this season) is the absolute most that any team could possibly offer him.

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

He is asking if one team can give a better extension than another team.

The answer is no.

17. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Well i know Denver can offer the biggest contract, but was wondering if they could offer MORE than 3yr/$65mil and then trade him away, but yall answered my question. Thx!

18. alethios

alethios Member

I've seen Bima explain on several occasions (in no uncertain terms), that you cannot combine TE's with player's salaries to get a match.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Said rule only applies to African American players.

20. SugarLandDream8

That trade where we "raped" the Knicks get them the cap space they needed to sign Amare and Felton with room to spare after Eddy Curry's contract expires this summer to sign another star player maybe Melo. That trade made the Knicks arguably the 3rd best team in the west. Even JVG said on tv only Boston and Miami are clearly better. By next year and in the future, this might turn out to be the greatest trade in history for the Knicks.