1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets exploring a Yao Ming trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets25, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Agreed! And if you can monitor his minutes coupled with a decent backup PG that would help. Plus, getting someone like Nash would help be an instant draw to some FA players. Right now we don't have much of a draw. Nash would be able to augment a lot of our player's games and that would be a big benefit for the team as a whole (and at the same time make them even more desirable assets).

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Bima or anybody,

I need the help of a capologist. What I'm thinking is the possibility of a trade involving the Clippers. You know, trying to sell a notorious penny pincher like Donald Sterling on the allure of Yao's insurance-covered contract. Trying to figure out what the opportunity to save millions is really worth to an owner like that.

Earlier in this thread I suggested something like Yao for Kaman + Foye or Butler (to make salaries match).

Assuming that $8M figure people are floating around regarding Yao's contract is accurate, wouldn't my proposed deal save the Clippers in the neighborhood of $20M by wiping out Kaman's contract combined with the insurance figure (and closer to $25M if we take on Foye and his remaining 1.5 years)? Mind you, I understand how insurance works -- just using $20M and $25M as "grand totals".

If true, couldn't this potentially be a golden opportunity to fleece them of some potentially valuable assets (draft picks, young talent) in exchange for our willingness to absorb Kaman's contract? Which, of course, from our end isn't exactly the "burden" it might seem since Kaman fits a desperate need we have out on the court.

Thoughts?

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Your proposed deal (Yao for Kaman/Foye/Butler/pick?) has the following flaws:

(1) Rasual Butler is a One-Year Bird player, meaning that he would have to consent to any trade.

(2) The Rockets would have to waive at least two of their own players in order to complete the trade.

(3) Other than the $8 million insurance payout, that trade only saves Donald Sterling a negligible amount from a salary cap standpoint (the Clippers aren't anywhere near the luxury tax threshold). And when you add the fact that the Clippers would have to sign at least one additional player, those negligible savings go out the window.

So, in the end, that trade would amount to Donald Sterling trading away a pretty good center (Kaman), a good shooter (Butler), a somewhat-disappointing short-term contract (Foye) and possibly a pick, all for an $8 million insurance payout? Sure, he'd save a lot of money next season, but the Clippers might then have to go out and spend more money to get to the league-mandated minimum salary cap figure.

It's funny. I actually posted a somewhat similar trade idea a little while ago:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=5832925&postcount=1994

I'd love to have that MIN first rounder, but I bet there's no way the Clippers trade it.

4. DarylMoney

DarylMoney Member

Yahoo Sports

Here is an article from today about Yao's surgery among other things Yao related...mentions that GS was interested in a Yao for Biedrins trade last year the Rox balked.

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Baller4life, I think his paint protection and rebounding can be special. I watched eery minute from last yr when he came back from the d-league last yr and his awareness was good. On defense, it was really good. Sure there were some moments when he was playing high and out of position,but his recovery at the basket was top notch. When gasol was out and he played 24 minutes consistently, he looked like a premier defender. Thats why i said if adelman will play him.

Look, he will never live up tp the #2 pick,but neither will camby or bibby,but if the rockets can reap the rewards of a 10pts 12 reb 3blk type of center, then its worth it.I'm more concerned about the rockets in 3 yrs than the next couple.

6. baller4life315

Bima,

The input is much appreciated. I must say it sounds like you're justifying your original proposal with LA using the same reasoning I am (LA gets insurance this year, saves a boatload next year) given that we're using the same framework for the deal (Yao for Kaman + ______).

Ultimately, either deal has to be a realistic proposal from LA's end given DeAndre Jordan's strong play and all the money owed to an injured Kaman. The idea of them "giving away" Kaman seems very plausible, IMO.

7. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Biedrins was injuried and Yao was suppose to come back, I can see why they said no but I wonder if they would consider that move now? His contract is not great but is exactly what we need in the middle. He is also only 24 so he can grow with the team and the center position would be taken of for many years.

#1107 rockets934life, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  8. baller4life315

Interesting. Admittedly (and thankfully), I don't follow the Grizzlies closely but I've watched about 8-10 Grizzlies non-Rockets games closely this year and saw him play in a few. I didn't really notice much improvement. Maybe it was just bad timing on my part.

What's your take on Whiteside?

9. cujo

cujo Member

Are trades happening? Not too much rumbling going on.

10. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Yeah, I know. I was maybe just grasping at straws when I proposed my version of the Clippers trade. :grin:

It is possible, though, if the Clippers are convinced that the new CBA will lower the minimum salary cap figure enough to where they can fully realize all of those savings next year, maybe they consider such a deal.

But something else to consider: If a lockout drags into the regular season, PLAYER SALARIES DON'T GET PAID. So, for all the savings we're talking about here (other than the insurance payout on Yao), most of the savings could be seen by Donald Sterling anyway if a lockout mostly or completely wipes out next season.

Which is not out of the question.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The Clippers announcers last night were openly talking about Kaman getting Wally Pipped......

I think they would love to unload him at this point and go with the young guys.

DD

12. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

It may not be out of the question but it is very very doubtful.

2 things NBA players love are the game of basketball and money. And both are taken away from them during a lockout. The owners will play hardball because of this fact but in the end the owners will make some concessions too because to lose a season would be devastating to many of these owners. So anything more than the last lockout s very doubtful to happen.

13. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

This is interesting indeed, havent really watched too much of Biedrins, but the kid can rebound, had 2 20 rebound games in November, averages 9 + in just over 26 mins...but he also makes 9 + mil for the next 3 years. Maybe since GS has Lee and Udoh, they trade B for Yao straight up and save a boat load of money. We would keep all our prospects to still be able to trade for a star....But thats a looot of salary coming back, and we would limit our options to trade or bust pretty much, cause FA would be out of the question then....

Still, very interesting, again, haven't seem him play much, but just looking at stats and the fact that he's 25 and 7'0, his value may be close to that of Nene's or Verajo's...wonder if he plays any defense?

14. BimaThug

Supporting Member

I certainly hope you're right.

The fact of the matter is, the owners and players are MUCH farther apart now then they were back in 1998, when the CBA negotiations led to a shortened 50-game season and came dangerously close to wiping out the 1998-99 season.

And, unfortunately for the fans, it looks like even most of the owners who are making good money every year are willing to take a short-term hit to their bottom lines this year in order to secure a much larger boon to their bottom lines for the next several years.

This is going to get very interesting. And very painful for the fans.

15. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

uhmmmm....

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-110107-09/trimester-awards

Clutch has brought up his name quite a bit recently and the situation sounds strangely familiar to the Martin trade last year. I think this might be Morey's target at the deadline. Some type of package revolving around Yao, some youth and maybe the 2012 pick would be a good starting point for a club looking to save money and get younger.

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Plenty of us have wondered about Danny Granger. The guy is usually a Rocket-killer. I hate watching him chest-thump and yell when he torches us, but at the same time, I'd love to have him doing that FOR us rather than AGAINST us.

Supposedly, the Pacers are also looking for bigs. We have plenty of players and picks strewn about to make a deal happen. We could improve Indy's depth and get that All-Star caliber talent in return.

But Indy already seems in a perpetual rinse cycle, never recovering from the Artest debacle.

17. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Yes, you were right.

I read just about every one of Larry Coon's tweets (and all the others I get, too). I had remembered him saying something about the "protected-ness" of a pick, but I also knew that you could use somebody else's pick, as long as you had one for a year in question. At the time of my post, I had not put together in my mind these facts with the fact that the Knicks pick was protected.

18. dartherus

dartherus Member

What about using Yao's expiring to get Nash?

Nash would be an instant upgrade, no matter what, and his game doesn't rely on athleticism at all, so he has at least 3 years more in tha tank, MORE IMPORTANT....he'd be superstar more willing to join him in Houston.....

Giving the Yao expiring, plus Brooks and Budinger, should do the trick, taking Nash, Robin L and perhaps Warrick to match salaries....

Anyway, getting Nash should FO make serously think in trading MArtin for a SG with more D....MArtin for Iggy could be possible, shorter contract and easier to trade for the sixers, some sweetener (Patterson or draft pick) could be added in extrem case (not neccesary right now the sweetener cause KM has more cache)...

KM is perhaps better than Iggy overall, but with Nash coming, Iggy would be a far better fit (2 way SG)....palying Nash and KM at the same time would be suicide, as happened when playing AB and KM together....

Just think in the new roster..

PG: Nash, Lowry, Ish
    SG: Iggy, Lee
    SF: Battier, Williams
    PF: Scola, Hill, Patterson
    C: Hayes, Lopez, Miller

And there would be still enough assets to get a better center (Lowry, PPat, Hill, 1 1st rd pick, if trades ar ewell done, Miller as salary filler if needed)....

19. rox81

rox81 Member

You people are crazy: 62% voted that we re-sign Yao? You're not really a fan if you root for your team to do badly.

20. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Yao should do Houston a favor, and just retire