1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets exploring a Yao Ming trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets25, Dec 27, 2010.

1. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I hate it, but you have to explore this option...he should retire a rocket...

2. CXbby

CXbby Member

3. Raven

Raven Member

Awesome news, if true. Yao is a noble warrior, but it's time to move on.

4. verse

verse Contributing Member

FULL. OF. WHEN?

5. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

The only other centers I'm high on are Andrew Bogut and Javale McGee.

6. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Ugh can the Rockets really not go one player to play on this team for their entire career? I don't care even if Yao resigns for 1 million and is the 10 th man, I want to see Yao spend his whole career in Houston.

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

they'd be trading his contract + insurance, not really him, he probably won't suit up for whoever he goes to, and its not like bird rights would matter, he's not going to be extending to $19.5m i don't think... :p

8. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Chris Kaman?????

i'm sure the clip factory would love to cut costs. it would be eating a bad contract for a center but would provide us a starter.

same vein different name -- Biedrens? (insert do not want picture here)

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

And us get nothing in return? :confused:

10. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

Hakeem didnt finish as a Rocket and it doesnt seem to matter(and he wont us championships). Either way, its great for us, he won't do much for any other team. I see this as a move to help us get better now and possibly bring him back on a short term deal next year. Love it. Morey is a genius. :grin:

11. Mr. Space City

Good Riddance.

Whatever helps us get better :cool:

12. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Best idea I've heard in awhile.

13. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm skeptical since I did not think they would deal Yao, but the insurance angle is interesting. Maybe Yao has said privately he doesn't want to go through it all again (pure speculation on my part). Also, if the Rockets find someone who is in it for strictly the cap relief, then perhaps the Rockets feel they can re-sign Yao in the summer.

1 person likes this.
  14. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I wouldnt be surprised at all if Yao gave his consent to this.

The guy has a lot of team pride and knows he has done nothing to help his team the last season and this season (though not his fault of course) and still got paid for it. The only way Yao can help the Rockets this year is to be traded so that the 17 million in street clothes can be 17million on the bench and court.

He is a FA in the summer and if he is able to play basketball again I really doubt he would sign anywhere else but in Houston, he really wants to win, but more importantly he really wants to win in Houston.

its a win-win for everyone. Yao still gets his money and rehabs...the rockets get back a few players that help them now and the team that receives Yao gets to save 8-9 million instantly via Yao's insured contract AND then gets 17million off their cap this summer.

Also this could mean that Yao feels he cannot play anymore and wants to help the Rockets one last time before he officially retires. That would be really sad for me to see but something I have accepted

2 people like this.
  15. Txang99

Txang99 Member

Smart move by the Rockets. Remember this is a business, and you can't let emotional ties to a player prevent you from moving forward

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Thank you! Yao is great and all, but it's time to move on. We still have a good chunk of season to play.

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

This tells me one of two things is going on. Either:

A) Yao feels like he is done, and since he will not be suiting up again in the NBA, he wants to do whatever he can to help the team acquire somebody that can turn this team into a contender. It would suck to not have him OFFICIALLY retire as a Rocket, but I'm willing to bet they would sign him to a 10-day contract or something next season, and let that be the last contract he signs.

B) He's going to rehab, get back to "full strength", and re-sign with us next season for the veteran's minimum or something similar, all while allowing us to get some pieces right now. I don't see Yao ever donning another team's jersey, unless he really, truly wants to return, but the Rockets don't want him.

Out of the two scenarios, I really couldn't say which one is more likely, but I'd be leaning towards B right now. That might just be denial on my part, but I don't think the big fella is COMPLETELY done with basketball.

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Since there was talk previously of the Rockets considering an extension, the ideal scenario would be if the Rockets and Yao's people had already agreed to an extension and then the Rockets proposed trading him as an expiring and re-signing him to a MLE type deal.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

20. mazinger

mazinger Member

Just because the Rockets trade Yao doesn't mean he won't be a Rocket next year if he is able to recover. If he does, the Rockets will resign him.