1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Nick Young was offered for a 2nd rounder: Morey denied

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 9, 2016.

1. ilias

ilias Member

He would be a great get for a 2nd rounder, but last year we decided to go with Lou Williams over him, which I think was the right call at the time. Had we signed Young, we wouldn't have been able to sign Lou (who was contracted through 2017-18 and thus could be used in trades). For this season we wouldn't have been in the position to offer him the salary he has at GS ($5m) while signing the other guys we did. He is good value for a 2nd rounder, but not at $5m and not at the opportunity cost of foregoing LMM/Tucker/Black/flexibility.

Sooty and topfive like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I have already let it go (him go). Y'all should too.

3. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

There are instances where otherwise mediocre players thrive in the right environment. Happens often with the Spurs and Warriors (see Javale McGee, Shaun Livingston, etc. for example). I think we're at a point at our team where taking on the wrong guys can have a negative impact on the team cohesion and culture. Just two seasons ago this team was 41-41 and lost in the first round. So I am not opposed to turning down Nick Young, even though in theory he would thrive in a system where he basically has a green light to shoot 3's. I personally hope we are somehow able to re-acquire Lou Williams - of all the guys we lost, he was huge imo and I'd love to see him back on this team.

napalm06 likes this.
  4. onreego

onreego Member

Judging by his comments after the trade, I don't think he'd like to be back.

5. alethios

alethios Member

I'd rather get Beverley back - that would be better insurance for when CP3 sits. Who knows - maybe Bev is going to be under-utilized by Doc and will be glad to come back where he'll be welcome with open arms.

6. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

SwaggyP would have never been happy as the 4th G on our team. If you figure there are about 80 minutes available for bench players, after Nene, Gordon, Tucker, Mbah a Moute I don't see any minutes. That is the reality of all of these fantasy deep lineups. I don't want SwaggyP in the game over those other guys. In the context of what we need when relief comes in the game he offers no versatility. All of those guys are scrapper glue guys that fit any role required. He's always going to be looking for his. In the 5-10 games a season he puts up numbers that hardly offsets what he doesn't provide every game that those guys do. Relationships and roles over an entire season are very important. All of our guys FIT together. I'm not here to bash Ryno. He's a good guy with a particular skill set. He the only player I would say doesn't fit well with the team and it really has nothing to do with him, just his contract from an opportunity cost perspective. If Ryno was the backup making $5M, there wouldn't be any problems.

Mazulis likes this.
  7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Nick young isn't gonna be that hot every night . A lot of his looks weren't even open .

He is a good shooter , but last night was luck too.

hvic likes this.
  8. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

who's the idiot revived this lame old thread?

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I can't believe that Nick Young hit all of those 3ptrs and was that hot and yet ended up "-10" in +/- for the game. How does that happen?

10. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Swaggy p turns into soggy pee real quick fam

SirIvyLeague and J.R. like this.
  11. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

What did he say? I dont recall reading anything where he sounded bitter about being traded...

I actually think Bev will thrive with the Clips. Lou, however, will probably get buried behind Austin Rivers. Cant see Doc ever benching Austin or giving Lou serious game time over him, but who knows, I could be wrong.

12. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I'm not mad. Swaggy for all his offense last night, he was garbage on defense. He gave up a couple transition buckets and his man defense was horrible. He gives up a lot of cheap fouls trying to defend. He won't be a nightly contributor for GSW for long if he don't step up his defense. One thing all GSW role players have to do is be able to play solid defense or they see no minutes as the season progresses

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Rightly so. Team needed to improve D and 3. He doesn't fit the role.

14. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I would have picked him up to be a trade asset that is all...

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Lou Williams back in L.A. with Clippers after ‘bad breakup’ with Rockets

PLAYA VISTA – Lou Williams was out of L.A. for barely four months, enough time to move out of a Marina Del Rey apartment, move all of his possessions to Houston and get bounced in the second round of the playoffs.

In recent weeks, he signed a lease to return to the same neighborhood he vacated when Magic Johnson, in his first act as the Lakers’ president on Feb. 21, traded Williams to Houston.

“I shouldn’t have moved,” said Williams, who was acquired by the Clippers last month as part of the hefty return for Chris Paul. “I should have kept my place a couple months longer and stayed patient but I got out of there.”

“Teams know what I bring to the table,” Williams said. “It’s no surprise that I got traded, no surprise that I was in trade rumors. It’s part of the business. All these teams are trying to get better, everybody’s trying to level up with the competition. I don’t take it personally.”

And yet, he labels his departure from the Rockets a “bad breakup.”

On the day of the Paul trade, Williams tweeted, “Thanx houston for the love. But let’s pretend like those 3 months didn’t happen.”

It was a far cry from the syrupy farewells most players share when they leave a team.

“Sometimes you get into these situations where people are going to put these long heartfelt messages on your Instagram or your Twitters and you probably don’t mean it,” Williams said. “I enjoyed my time in Houston but it was short-lived and it really didn’t make a huge impression on my life.”

The midseason trade from the Lakers interrupted one of the best seasons of his career. Williams led the Lakers with 18.6 points in 58 games, all but one of them off the bench. Had he not been traded, he believes he would have won his second Sixth Man of the Year award in three years.

“For sure,” he said. Even after the trade, which paired him with the eventual winner of the award bestowed upon the league’s top reserve, Eric Gordon, Williams thought he had a chance.

“You kind of still felt like if there’s an opportunity to accomplish something you would like to,” he said. “But after I got traded that kind of closed the door on that.”

Though his minutes actually increased in Houston, Williams’ shooting numbers all dipped and his scoring fell to 14.9 points per game.

16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Defense....

[​IMG]

17. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Nick Young would no doubt help this team off the bench. He was an underrated defender last year. He's fine 1 on 1, it's team D where he's poor at and it showed last night. As much as he scored, he also had a lot of defensive lapses on defensive rotations that cost them their lead.

18. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

He's streaky. Once he hits a couple in a row, he will start jacking up more shots. He was lucky the shots were falling last night. He will take shots away from Klay and Curry, so a good thing for opponents. He also has a temper. I'm glad we didn't sign him

donkeypunch likes this.
  19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I havent gone through this thread at all this year, but if some are suggesting that we made a mistake that we didnt sign him because of last night, they are idiots. Cause we all know that hes gonna shoot 9/10fga throughout this whole year...... o_O