1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: NBA, union meeting Sunday

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by opticon, Oct 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. opticon

opticon Member

2. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

I'm going to change my pessimistic stance and say an agreement is reached tonight.

The sports gods were brutal enough with my football teams this weekend. I think they will have some mercy and at least give me my basketball.

3. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

LScola4 Luis Scola
    Good luck @derekfisher on tomorrows meeting, our season it's in your hands!

:(

4. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

if Scola is saying good luck to Fisher, the world has come to an end.....

5. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Ha Ha, remember that's the guy that elbowed you in the face.

I dont think its up to Fisher. Its all in Stern's hands.

6. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mvfy7cRy_rs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:mad:

7. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Looks like the meeting already started.

HowardBeckNYT HowardBeckNYT by ChrisMannixSI
    NBA and union began meeting at 6pm. Conflicting info about how it came together, but told it was not based on owners softening on 50-50.

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
    As labor meeting unfolds in NY, several NBA execs have hope of deal in next 24-48 hours. Why? They don't have faith in players holding line.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I really don't like this 50 game talk. They would be robbong the fans if they had anything less than a full season. There would be an asterisk next to this seasons champions names if the season were cut short. There would historically be the assumption of "if there were a full season".

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I'm calling it, tomorrow they announce that a deal has been reached...

hopefully

10. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Good job with all the updates.

I hope the owners just take 53 and move on. Either it OFFICIALLY BEGINS. Games will be gone 4 sure.

11. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Just trying my best hsf09 impersonation, but that dude is a machine.

Anyways, here's the latest.

ChrisMannixSI Chris Mannix
    Word is meeting started at about 6:15. So coming up on hour number three.

daldridgetnt David Aldridge
    Representing owners: Stern, Silver, attorney Dan Rube, Neg Board Chair Peter Holr (Spurs) & BOG Chair Glen Taylor (Wolves).

Representing union: Hunter, Fisher, union VP Mo Evans (Wizards), attorneys Jeff Kessler, Ron Klempner, Jared Alula. Could be a while, folks.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Oooooh! Attorneys are present. Exciting!

13. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

A few things to keep in mind while we wait 4 white or black smoke: the sides are $120M apart (50% proposal from owners, 53% from players).

That is, from the owners' perspective, about $4 million/team/yr--or less than the first-year cost of one mid-level exception.

They are already guaranteed at least $160M/year in salary givebacks, or more than $5M/team/year. And it will certainly be more than that.

Like owners, players don't all make the same. But collectively, the amount they're arguing over, compared to what they'll lose, is

The players stand to lose around $2.1B in salaries if there's no season. That's around $360M/month. They're holding out for $80M.

I'm not taking a side here. I'm pointing out that the losses for both sides are much greater for both sides than what separates them.

Or, put it this way: the sides started 22 points apart. They're now 3 points apart. There's a deal to be made but it will require sacrifice.

Someone will get less than what they want. But I've always been told the best, fairest deals are when both sides leave a little ticked off.

14. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

To not make a deal now would be crazy and really hurt the momentum the league has going.

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

They're all stupid.
    Every single person associated with the NBA will lose money.

16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Just my opinion, but no way they don't do a deal out of this. They did it quietly without the mid-week media spotlight and B.S. games in the media. It's on the eve of the supposed deadline before some regular season games are canceled. I really question whether either side is prepared to lose games. I'd say owners might be more than the players. My understanding is several owners (including our own) did not want to offer the 50-50 split.

I thought they were going to do a deal by around Wednesday of last week because I thought that was the deadline to lose games. If tomorrow is really the deadline, I think they have a deal by then. Many players can't survive long without those checks... I imagine the pressure on Fisher and Hunter from players and agents was enormous.

Lockouts don't interest me at all and sap my interest in the sport. If they come to a "50-50" agreement on the last day they could, how can you not think this was anything more than greed and power games.

17. stefanb

stefanb Member

How greedy can the players be? Like they can't take a little less pay. It's probably because a lot of them go broke because they spend their money on "whips" and "bling". It's such an insult to not just the fans, but most of the human race that they won't take a little less money for playing, yeah that's right, BASKETBALL! It's a child's game! This is a big insult to teachers, construction workers, and all of the other people that actually work hard.

18. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

my sentiments exactly..

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'll repeat what I said last week: The way an agreement is reached might be as important as getting it done. In this case, it was necessary for it to go down to the wire so both sides could feel like they pushed the other to the limit and got the best deal possible. I bet the players would have voted NO on 50/50 two weeks ago.

20. Raven

Raven Member

And theatrics, both sides get to preen for the media.