1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Morey is officially in the HOT seat

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 18, 2015.

Tags:
  1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

My friend tricked me today saying Morey had reached out to Van Gundy. I was so excited. It felt like Christmas.

2. Newlin

Newlin Member

So Morey knows going into the season that DMo will miss probably a third of the season coming off back surgury. And even after DMo comes back, he has to work his way into shape. Morey also knows that Dwight will be sitting out a significant number of games. Morey also know that Capela is only in his second year and is still learning the game. And knowing all this, Morey chooses not to sign a third string center. Really?

TJones is not a center. Harrell is not a center. There are times when going ultra small just doesn't work.

Morey deserves to be on the hot seat.

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Letting Smith walk looks like a major boneheaded move at this point. I'll admit when he left, I was p-ssed. But I didn't know at the time that D-Mo would be out a couple months. If Morey was aware of this(and I assume he was), you don't let that guy leave so you can resign McDaniels who ain't even playing. You cannot go into the season with T-Jones starting at the 4 and getting major backup minutes at the 5 when Dwight misses games.

4. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. This season has been a total disaster and Morey is a big reason why. Team not prepared in anyway going into the season.

5. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Morey messed up big time by not working harder at retaining Josh Smith. Dude could have helped big time tonight and in so many losses.

6. awc713

awc713 Member

We didn't let him walk...

We offered him more $, tried to keep him, and he chose LAC.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The seat is getting hotter Maury.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I still believe Morey can straighten everything out. They just need to take this opportunity to go and get a real coach.

9. count_dough-ku

But why did he choose LA? Wasn't it because Morey and McHale couldn't guarantee him minutes? Looks like there are plenty of minutes to be had right about now. He'd easily be starting every game and playing backup 5 when Dwight sits. I don't understand how the Rockets screwed up that pitch.

10. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

And we are happy with this? If morey is ***** canned you can kiss any hope
    Of a ring goodbye because that means this season has imploded and this concept flat won't work. More years of waiting. Just what I want.

11. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Plus they need DMO back a sap bc he needs time to shake off the rust

D12 needs to play ALL games. PERIOD

We need an upgrade at power forward.

12. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Why are ppl acting like Smooth was some great player. He was a role player and he got worst with the clips.

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

err, we are not winning anything this year regardless.

and i'm not sure morey should be fired, he's made a lot of great moves amongst his headscratchers. but replacing him wouldn't be the end of this franchise. there are other geniuses in this world..

14. count_dough-ku

Hey, Smith sucked with the Pistons but was really good here. Sometimes it's about finding the right fit and the Rockets were a perfect team for Smith. We desperately could use him right now given how bad T-Jones is.

15. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

You're nuts if you think he wouldn't have helped this season.

16. malakas

malakas Member

Well maybe just maybe Smith is not blind. He looks at one roster that is the first player off the bench gets a ton of minutes and will continue to get all year round and can get paid by taht same team next year. And he looks at the other roster with 3 pfs two of who are in contract year and even if one misses one third of the season he won't get as many minutes in total and there's not a guarantee that that team will give him a good contract longterm.

Short term memory and delusional thinking it's what this is. People have forgotten or never knew what it's like to be a fan of a team that has an idiot GM that you fear every godamn deadline that he will lose all the trades and sell off talent for rentals. They think there are plenty of GMs aroudn the league in the same caliber as Morey are many waiting to get a job.:rolleyes:

Even Masai who is one of the top 5 gms in the league just gave a 11per contract to Terrence freaking Ross and who knows what he will do with DD. Probably pay him too.

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

my take on it from reading b/t the lines of smith's and morey's quotes is that LAC gave him some sort of assurance of a new deal next summer while daryl wasn't ready to commit anything at all, hoping to make a run at durant

18. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

Morey could have used the money they spent on KJ for Smith, which would have been considerably more than what Morey ended up offered Smith.

IIRC, didn't Smoove say something about how no one from the team had really reached out to him during the offseason (an odd comment considering his relationship with Dwight)? Perhaps he just felt like the Rockets really didn't want him that much.

I have no idea if he would be the difference maker, but I suspect that Smith would be helping us greatly while DMo remains out.

19. Raven

Raven Member

Because LA is nicer than Houston, especially if you are rich.

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Morey doesn't exactly have any rings to his name. This team isn't going to win a ring with James Harden and Dwight Howard unless you add Durant to the team or something. It's a fundamentally flawed team. There's no leadership. There's no system in place that enables players to get easy shots when they're struggling. You never see any Rockets players getting open for easy shots on off ball screens. Dwight Howard isn't a post up player. It's basically Harden beat three guys offense.