1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Morey eyeing Gordon Hayward next summer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 15, 2016.

1. fmp087

fmp087 Member

In a black ss with a navigation.

Fulgore likes this.
  2. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Chandler Parsons fit it just fine next to Harden, averaging career highs in points, rebounds, and assists with a better than 2:1 ast/to ratio and good efficiency. He was more than just a spot up shooter, he was our secondary playmaker. Eric Gordon is having his best season in years. In case you haven't noticed, he's not just a spot up shooter either.

If you can make plays, you can fit next to James Harden. Lawson, Thornton, and Dwight aren't doing any better on their new teams, so maybe you should stop putting the blame for their subpar performances and lack of success on Harden's style.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

One could certainly see him doing that.
    Of course, at that point, Boston will have a huge accumulation of guys who are GREAT third guys as part of a Big 3.
    Still no #1 guy. Sorry, IT is not a #1 guy on a championship team, nor is Crowder, nor is Hayward.
    But the upside is, in their best years, MAYBE you could call IT and Hayward legit #2 guys.
    But in a league with Lebron & Kyrie, Curry & KD & Klay, CP3 & Blake, Lowry & Derozan, Harden & Gordon (lol...jk)... well they're still behind the 8 ball.
    They'd be a great East team, make deep playoff runs, but no rings.

Disagree with this wholeheartedly. Yes, his usage has crept up, as has Harden's. And yes, clearly Harden would be the #1 guy. But as I've noted, if Gordon wants to win a ring, he just can't do so as the #1 guy. It's not happening. Yes, Harden's style is different than the Warriors style, but it doesn't mean there isn't plenty of opportunity for other players to shine. And on top of all that, Hayward still isn't an AMAZING one on one guy / creator. So, so much better than he was. But he's just really versatile.

On our current squad, the best comparison is Ariza and Dekker, but clearly better. He's like the super version of Sam Dekker. He's like Ariza, but a more prolific scorer and better ball-handler. On the move a lot, benefits from good offensive sets, can take guys off the dribble, especially when the defense is rolling, etc.

Since Ariza and Dekker are both doing very well with Harden, I think Hayward would flourish. Plus, it's not like Harden can't adjust his game. The idea that Harden didn't adjust his game for Dwight is crazy. He clearly did, in retrospect. The idea that Harden didn't adjust his game for Ty is crazy. He did... in retrospect. In retrospect, those guys just weren't the offensive guys we thought/hoped they were. Guy has come off the bench in the past. He's willing to sacrifice.

I will say this... in a McHale coached team, I think Hayward would still be an obvious add, but the adjustment period would be longer and more painful and would never fully be maximized. On this squad, I think Hayward would fit right in immediately. I think the team could add him to the starting lineup tonight and have minimal problems.... he's just that perfect of a super glue type guy.

There's a very very small chance of it happening, but besides Blake Griffin just randomly saying he wants to be a Rockets (won't happen, he isn't leaving LaLaLand), I see no better fit.

DD, not to belabor the point, but while I still predominantly watch the Rockets, I probably watch the Jazz the second most.... I just like their style. I like the Hayward/Gobert combo. Anyway, as an example, Hayward still is assisted on 40% of his twos, and over 72% of his threes...

Eric Gordon this year.. assisted on 47% of his twos and 76% of his threes.
    Ariza on the other hand is assisted on almost all of his shots, 2's and 3's, lol, but that's because that's the type of player he is.

I know you'd prefer more assists, more free flowing offense, so the question isn't necessarily can Hayward play off the ball. Cause he definitely and certainly can. The question is, with ANOTHER scoring threat on the team, is Harden capable of playing somewhat more of a motion style? Full GS Warriors motion? Probably not. That's not him. But continued iterations on a pick and roll heavy offense, with curls (as we've seen these integrated more during this streaks) and back picks, etc.? I think so. He's already adjusted this year, and can and will adjust more.... but it doesn't need to be THAT much more.

#163 JayZ750, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    Vivi and Deuce like this.
  4. bongman

bongman Member

Not sure what you mean by this. The 3 things that Love is superior at are 3 pt shooting, rebounding and that wicked outlet pass (Brewer got a lot of his points from those Love outlets). Seems like those traits fits in nicely with the team concept. His other skillsets like post ups are just average. So I don't what part of his game needs to change.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I mean he would have to take a backseat ala Love in Cleveland, and I think he would like his own team - could be wrong though, I just don't see him coming to Houston.

DD

6. vtjsr2

vtjsr2 Member

Hayward, Horford, and Thomas would be fun to watch in Boston. Make it happen Ainge.

7. JayZ750

You absolutely could be right. He's not a guy who should be #1 on a team, but he might like to be.
    He's most likely to stay in Utah. He already has that there and they are up and coming and they might offer him the most money.
    He's second most likely to bolt for the Celtics. He can still think and try to be the #1 guy (with IT), and they have the Brad Stevens connection.

Rockets should be third up. Because of FIT, not in spite of it. It's a team that scores a lot of points, has a solid pace, has a coach that he should respect, and could use a Hayward.

The real question would be, why the Rockets then if he kind of has all that in Utah or in Boston (good coach, good systems, up and coming teams)?

And the only answer would be that he perhaps SMARTLY recognizes he can't be that #1 guy and make conference finals and NBA finals runs.

Oh, and obligatory KLove comment. Dude is second.. ok third fiddle on that team, especially offensively... but it's not as if his career has taken a back seat. And of course this year he's playing great... back up to 3rd highest PER of his career and highest TS% of his career by far. Rebounding again. He's looking like a lock for the HOF, whereas, while probably still HOF worthy, he was clearly on a path of all stats, no importance previously.

8. JayZ750

If Ainge felt great about Hayward... you know a hint-hint, wink-wink type thing via backchannels (give his and Stevens connection), it would be interesting to see if he will be open to move Crowder plus those picks finally...

like for Cousins (who I don't like, but would think Stevens could get it to work)...

IT
    Bradley
    Hayward
    Horford
    Cousins

with Stevens coaching... would certainly be the top contender for #2 in the East, imo.

Vivi likes this.
  9. Vivi

Vivi Member

This team would be a real threat for the Cavs, and it's probably what Ainge is really trying to make happen, if he they can bring Hayward there in the summer, i can totally see them go all in for Boogie, which is a bit risky but eh, that starting five is really scary, and a train like that doesn't pass often.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

BTW - I think Hayward is good, but he is more of a marginal star - and he doesn't move the needle much for me over Dekker/Ariza combination and fit with Harden.

DD

Jayzers_100 and vtjsr2 like this.
  11. anchel

anchel Member

I think it's -very- unlikely we get him, but I think he would fit nicely and really would improve team's potential. Disagree here with DD.

I don't care how good our offensive numbers look at RS, let's wait to the playoffs and see the reasons why we get eliminated at some point. At the end of the day we'll be saying that our offense is too predictable throughout a playoff series and that it puts too much pressure at playmaking over Harden. Hayward is a guy you can give the ball to and expect some playmaking and 1on1 scoring, while Harden plays off the ball or takes a rest. But Hayward is also capable of helping you off the ball. He moves really well off the ball, can shoot it, can run....Chandler Parsons was a great offensive fit alongside Harden and Gordon is an improved version of Chandler. He's also a better defensive player. I also think he would choose Utah or Boston over Houston, but I definitely would understand the interest from Houston and I think he would make us a true contender.

bobloblaw likes this.
  12. vtjsr2

vtjsr2 Member

there's no way boogie rejoins with thomas. wasn't there issue b/t them on the court in sacramento?

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, this is actually true, at least there were rumors about Boogie not happy about Thomas not passing him the ball enough.

I'm still not sure how much Ainge is bound to Thomas tough...wouldn't be shocked (at all tbh) if he trades him as soon as a decent/good deal comes up, not sure he's that willin to pay him next year while he has other options like Rozier, Smart...i mean, at least if he can bring in Hayward (30x), Boogie (30x). Bradley is also going to get his money soon, and i think he's more valuable for them, in a situation like that.

#173 Vivi, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We do not cater to the white mormon demographic in Houston, they got that going for them over there.

15. HTM

HTM Member

I don't see how either of those teams are contenders in two years without acquiring some star players via free agency or trade.

Do you think anyone on the celtics is developing into a superstar in the next two seasons capable of leading a team to a championship?

Do you think anyone on the Jazz is developing into a superstar in the next two seasons capable of leading a team to a championship?

Because recently you've needed 3 or more superstars/stars to win a championship..... Miami, Spurs, GSW, Cleveland....

I don't think Utah or Boston is anywhere close

Adding Hayward to Boston doesn't make them a real contender at all. The East is garbage so they might look impressive though.

16. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Um bbhollic said this is a smokescreen! Plus after Rubio leads us to a title this season will we even need Hayward?

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Thomas has all the ability in the world, and Boston has some amazing tools to use going forward when a star becomes available. Horford, Crowder, Bradley and Smart are tremendous pieces.

Jaylen Brown has a massive amount of potential as well.

18. HTM

HTM Member

Celtics have been trying to turn their assets into a star for awhile now..... I guess we will see.

I don't think they have a #1 or #2 piece necessary to win a championship as of right now and those are the two hardest pieces to get.

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think they definitely have a #2 piece with Thomas, and a #3 with Horford.

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Frankly, I don't either. Stevens in C'sLand? Sure. But, why here (even if DM the GM could clear the $$$s for him)?