1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Sources: McHale using Sampson's absence as an excuse for poor defense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Apr 24, 2014.

1. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

why not hire george karl?

2. hollywoodMarine

Ok, this may be a stupid question. So we all know he is not a defensive tactician. But offensively, why did he not have them run some more pick n rolls? May have allowed Harden to be more effective on offense. Even Lin... he was pretty ineffective the first match until they started running some Harden-Lin pick n rolls which helped him contribute more offensively. Why not run some more of those as well?

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Nuno just tweeted a picture of Morey having a sit down with Harden at practice...

4. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

Probably a lot less than you think. I remember reading a post where Torocan did an analysis of Lin's turnovers with the Synergy data and very few were from jumping in the air and throwing the ball away.

Yet a confirmation bias makes people think it happens a lot.

With the way he uses and talks about stats, I almost thought he was Morey for a second :grin: or at least related to him somehow.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Don't see it? https://twitter.com/davidnuno

6. conquistador#11

mchale can't do it so it has to be daryl and you don't want to make daryl upset as reported by fans who stalk him, err walk behind him as he watches zoran show his skills in the summer league.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Found it. They use Instagram to Tweet, Jesus, what a world
    <iframe src="//instagram.com/p/nLsRY5kMG2/embed/" width="612" height="710" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Another one of those famous "I call b.s." posters.

CyberX is for real. Just and accept it.

9. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Sampson was the hard-nose coach that didn't hesitate to call Harden out on his defense and he didn't like that, but in the end Harden seemed to appreciate it. He was 1 of the few players who went to Sampson's welcoming conference at UofH and was genuinely sad that he was leaving. He said some nice things about Sampson, how he worked with him on his game everyday and made him a better player.

It's like the teacher whose hard on the student b/c they see the potential but the student doesn't like it. In the end they realize it made them a better person. Sampson did more for this team than ppl seem to realize.

10. WaitForIt

WaitForIt Member

I'm at work and can't see it, dammit! I'm imagining Morey yelling at Haren and grabbing him by the beard.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

He has info but sometimes it seems like he likes to troll as a Lakers fan too

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Can't have two of the top 15 players in the league on your roster and lose in rd 1 with home court.

There has to be accountability and the coach is the logical answer.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I think sometimes what he hears can get regurgitated to us with a little of that Lakers-fan edge, yes.

A lot of posters take what he writes as some sort of "this is my gospel saeth the Lord". I think much of what he provides goes through a filtering process; people overhear things and repeat them with their own slant.

But the core of his posts is the truth.

And this sort of post/thread is more straightforward.

14. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

I thought cyberx worked in some agent's office?

I doubt that something intra-Rockets office talk would be shared with anyone outside.

So either cyberx is fibbing, or he works more closely with the Rockets than I thought.

15. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Why the hell couldn't Sampson accept the job with the caveat that he finishes out this season with the Rockets, then moves on to UH?

Is he really doing anything that pressing at UH right now that couldn't have waited until the playoffs are over?? Come on. Just ridiculous.

16. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

hes the janitor

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Because the Rockets are going after Carmelo Anthony.

18. erapmicks

erapmicks Member

19. cyberx

cyberx Member

Just stop - everybody - please.

I feel like I am in court sometimes with you guys.

I get lots of info with the Rockets FO. That is how I knew of the radio changes weeks before they were announced. (Rockets had to know first because of contractual reasons with the flagship station)

20. torocan

torocan Member

Player recruitment of high school prospects and persuading the current players to stay with the team. Not to mention finding and hiring his own staff, going through tons of game film on the existing players on the roster so that he can formulate a future game plan. Interacting with various boosters to raise money.

Those are pretty important functions. And when they're offering you $1M/year over 5 years (probably 3-5x his current salary) you're going to do what they ask you to do.

You don't risk your next job with this much money on the line, especially since I'm sure that McHale and Co probably told Morey that they'd be okay without him.