1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Many top NBA players hesitant to promote coronavirus vaccines

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JumpMan, Feb 17, 2021.

1. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Same.

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

why does Wiggins need to get vaccinated?

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I spoke a little too casually without fully understanding the details. He doesn’t need to get vaccinated to play in the NBA. I believe that visiting players to those areas requiring vaccinations do not need to be vaccinated either. They just need to show a negative test.

If Wiggins wants his full salary then he needs to get vaccinated.

Personally, I am strongly against local vaccine mandates or being forced to show your health status.

4. Commodore

Why do vaccinated people not need to show a negative test? Can they not get COVID? Are they not contagious if they do?

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

They are much less likely to catch and spread covid. I don’t know why they aren’t requiring testing for everyone. You’d have to ask the people who wrote the laws.

I haven’t looked for any recent studies on post vaccine transmission rates since Delta has taken over. Have you seen any? I’m sure they aren’t too hard to find.

6. Commodore

false

they are much less likely to suffer severe health effects, but they can still catch it and spread it

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Rather than trying to play gotcha you should reread what I wrote.

Slyonebluejay likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Perk, Shaq, Mark…

9. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

And Stephen A. and Broussard.

A lot of people want to see a weakened Nets team. Cause if they're at full strength and the coaching staff manages their regular season games and minutes, they'll cakewalk through the playoffs.

They're just way too talented up top and deep with veterans throughout the rest of the roster. Just wait him out and see if he's willing to put his money and career where his mouth is.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Why? He's already more immune from COVID than the vaccine would ever make him.

12. Commodore

"Hey man, no one is forcing you to take the vaccine. But we'll take away your livelihood if you don't."

Alot of people here getting off on forcing people to unwillingly undergo medical procedures by threatening their livelihood.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He should file a lawsuit against the city and show he already has immunity with his B cell and T cell tests. No idea if it would work but it would be an interesting case.

BigDog63, JumpMan and foh like this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

his workplace requires the vaccine…if he doesn’t like it, he can deal with the consequences and go find another line of work…period, end of story

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Wiggins should have refused and asked to be traded to a team that plays in a city/state that don't have the same mandate/requirements.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

FWIW it's not his workplace. It's the states or cities that are requiring it. The NBA is not requiring vaccines at this point. From my understanding if a player who plays in Texas wanted to remain unvaccinated and then travel to somewhere like New York and play for a road game then they would be allowed to play as long as they presented a negative covid test due to an exception in the laws.

17. i3artow i3aller

18. i3artow i3aller

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

“can still catch it and spread it” is not the same thing as “about as likely to catch it and spread it”.

Commodore likes this.
  20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Recent study (results not yet peer reviewed) shows that vaccines help curtail transmission of Delta after infection for a period of time, but this benefit goes away after about three months:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02689-y

So, next question is to what extent do vaccines stave off infection. If the answer is that breakthrough infections are about as likely as infections among the unvaccinated, then it could very well be the case that for the majority of people who were vaccinated many months ago, they are just as likely to spread COVID as an unvaccinated person (and perhaps more likely to spread it than an unvaccinated person who recovered from COVID).