1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Many top NBA players hesitant to promote coronavirus vaccines

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JumpMan, Feb 17, 2021.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

186 Million Americans have been fully vaccinated as of today. One research article state that the chance of having VITT or a similar reaction/symptom due to the vaccine is 1 in 100,000. If that article is true (because I'm not holding it as gospel but rather just one source) then you're looking at about 1860 people experiencing VITT or a similar reaction. Now that doesn't mean 1860 will die because VITT does not have a 100% mortality rate. Another article cited a research done that found that about 23% of VITT cases end with the patient dying. If we take that figure as being accurate (again, not holding it as gospel), 23% of 1860 is about 427 people out of 186,000,000 or .000229% that you would die from VITT if you got vaccinated.

Being objective, the chances of you getting struck by lightning and dying are higher than they are of you dying from VITT via COVID vaccine. Being the sarcastic guy that I am, while it's tragic that someone died, it takes a huge idiot to sensationalize said tragic event on a basketball forum as some sort of proof that the Covid vaccine is "harmful". Like anything in life, there are rare instances where an action can actually kill you. Sitting on the toilet could kill you. Walking down the street in the neighborhood could kill you if you get hit by a car. Eating a grape and choking on it can kill you.

For those interested, here are my sources:

New England Journal of Medicine: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejme2106315

Fatality rate: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/12/blo...shot-have-22percent-mortality-rate-study.html

peleincubus likes this.
  2. i3artow i3aller

3. steddinotayto

I don't blame him. I had a bad reaction to marshmallows one time and swore off steak for a few years.

4. jbond77

jbond77 Contributing Member

So a healthy millionaire african american athlete who most likely has superior natural antibodies from his previous no problem covid infection, was forced to take a non fda approved shot so that he wouldnt be segregated from being able to do his job in a giant toilet bowl in san francisco.

Segregation is wrong. 99.7 percent of all people live and develop far superior natural immunity from a virus that your government paid to develop and then hid the release of here in the states by a week long Kobe funeral, potentially even taking him out for that purpose.

These are signs of serious social decay. I live in NYC, the streets are covered in months of trash, rats frolic like beautiful unicorns in the fields, and the homeless are stacked up on top of each other in the streets and subways. An illegal mandate forcing segregation is killing businesses after already half have been closed prior to. This is war against the west, they have eroded our sense of beauty, they have pissed on morality, and they have degraded our way of life.

To be forced to take experimental drugs was ruled against in the Nuremburg code, Segregation was defeated in the USA during the 50s and 60s as well, and now here we are, slow motion fall of the Soviet Union, where a superior antibody created naturally will not allow you to eat at a restaurant, watch a movie, go to the theater or EVEN have a job!

This is madness and the cult of people who support this should be stopped and immediately rejected! They are killing you, your society, and the freedoms we have fought hard to protect! Now is the time to standup and take these evil people out!

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

#285 J.R., Oct 5, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know which vaccine he got, but there is an FDA approved one, so not sure what's the point of your rant. He could of chosen the FDA approved one.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-approves-first-covid-19-vaccine

7. i3artow i3aller

8. steddinotayto

I'm not really understanding people's angst or the outcry if their employer is mandating that its employees have to get a vaccination that could, y'know, prevent you from dying (unless you're part of the .000229% I posted/mentioned before). Like...this isn't a mandate that you can't have tattoos or not bring fish for lunch ...it's about safeguarding not only yourself but also the people around you. I mean if these people want to think of it in more selfish terms (since that's how they're viewing things right now), the vaccine helps to prevent your employers from shutting down, which would increase the risk of loss revenue, which could mean a higher chance of layoffs happening, which could mean that you could be out of a job.

9. Possum

Possum Member

My question to you is why aren’t

their verified deaths just not proof of causation but of those 15,000 plus deaths, 5000 of them happened on the day of vax or within two days of it. There has also been over 750,000 adverse effects reported. It’s well known that only about ten % of all incidents are actually reported. Are you aware of all the whistle blowers who have been coming forward saying their being told not to report to VEARS? Some were fired just for bringing it up.

if you’re going to hold that standard against VEARS the i Assume your doubtful about the amount of deaths from COVID right? You do know the reported deaths of COVID are deaths with COVID not death from COVID right? That fact was revealed early on but was swept under the rug by media and government. Now factor in that the flu just disappeared and no one died from it last year. Then it was revealed that the PCR test couldn’t tell the difference between COVID and the flu. Also there is no taking into account all the people who were infected but Asymptomatic. Those estimations range anywhere from 30% to 70 % depending on where you look. So the overall survival rates now look even better when that is factored in. They were already 99.6 for under 60 years old so tell me again why aren’t these issues being recorded and investigated and adjusted? Nothing being done is transparent and then you add in how politicized this has become why should I trust this government and big pharma?

10. i3artow i3aller

Sage is the Stacey Dash of sports media. She's also out here scoffing at Obama for dentifying as being black. May be time for ESPN to put ole gal out to pasture.
    [​IMG]

robbie380 likes this.
  11. Possum

Possum Member

Are the employers going to accept liability if you are part of that .00029%? And what about people with natural antibodies? Why is there no recourse for them? Curious, where did you get those .000229 % numbers? How could the possibly know that? 99% of the healthcare industry isn’t even reporting adverse affects or deaths. You’re not trusting people who are looking out for you. You’re trusting well known corrupt individuals and industries.

If the vaccine is so safe why are so many healthcare workers who have been on the frontlines walking away from their livelihood instead of takin this vaccine?

12. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG]

Reeko, J.R. and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  13. TimDuncanDonaut

I'm so glad the Rockets is 100% vaccinated. Watching other teams go through this brings me petty delight.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

lol i had forgot about that chael moment

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I think the primary issue is that there simply isn't much benefit to getting a vaccine shot if you've had a prior infection and you have no pre existing issues. That seemed to be the common thread with these players that didn't want to be vaccinated and that is being completely ignored for who knows what reason. It comes off as lazy box checking to show someone has got the vaccine more than anything. Yes some benefit can be conveyed if a proper immune response was not developed, but the indications seem to be that the immune response from infection is more robust.

Why isn't there a process where a person can get tested for covid memory B cells and T cells to show they have immunity? Then after that result make a determination about vaccination. A process like that might even make sense in vaccinated people as well. The odds of catching symptomatic covid twice are much lower than catching symptomatic covid after vaccination as things stand today with Delta.

Short term vaccine side effects are also more common in younger people that have had covid before. https://covid.joinzoe.com/post/vaccine-after-effects-more-common-in-those-who-already-had-covid

steddinotayto likes this.
  16. steddinotayto

I haven't read the latest and greatest in regards to how long antibodies from a previous case of COVID can last in your body but the last data reported was between 5 - 7 months. Even so, most data surrounding the ability for our body to ward of future COVID symptoms via pre-existing antibodies is not 100% conclusive....so why not lessen the risk and increase prevention by getting the vaccine?

As for your question to having a processing to test for the memory cells that's a pretty good suggestion and I don't know why that hasn't been considered as a better approach.

In terms of vaccine, I had symptoms after the first dose but it was no where near what I experienced when I actually had COVID. The only symptoms I had post COVID were headaches and fatigue, far cry from the headaches, fatigue, fever, chills, body aches, and losing taste and smell for a couple of weeks I had last November.

robbie380 likes this.
  17. cur.ve

cur.ve Contributing Member

Please use protection and don't procreate.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I had covid in late January and my first shot in late April and I had some pretty solid side effects. It was like have a slightly less worse version of covid for 3 days and I had some heart fatigue. I didn't realize that I needed to completely lay off of working out. The heart fatigue or what felt like that definitely bothered me. Your covid experience sounds like mine also. It was a b****. I wish I would have been able to take the vaccine first and then catch covid.

I'm not opposed to giving vaccines after catching covid, but I haven't really seen much that indicates they do much for healthy people. From what I've seen is it can be roughly equivalent to a booster shot and completely ensures a full immune response, but there wouldn't be any reason to give it if your body already has strong immune response because it can't really make a full immune response even more full....if that makes sense. Once it's at the limit for whatever your body can do then that's it. You can only fill a glass of water up so much until it won't get anymore full. That's why I would be in favor of some sort of immune response testing beforehand. Dr. Been on youtube has some good technical lectures explaining the immune response that helped me to get a better grasp on it.

It seems there is an issue where people are one focusing on one aspect of the immune response with the antibody levels and not paying attention to memory B and T cells. Antibody levels can decline, but the last study I saw relating to memory B cells indicated they continued to increase from 1 month post infection up to 8 months post infection.

But you are right there is not a lot of data on reinfections especially after Delta has hit. If we had Delta specific vaccines then that would be more helpful....but we don't and for some reason they've never been developed even though we were told they would be easy to develop.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

You need to get out of NYC. It's driving you mad :eek:

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

Wiggins talking about “Idk if it causes cancer” :rolleyes:

this fool has nothing but dust and tumbleweeds where his brain is supposed to be

some of these idiots need to just stop talking

robbie380 likes this.