1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Many top NBA players hesitant to promote coronavirus vaccines

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JumpMan, Feb 17, 2021.

1. TimDuncanDonaut

For players who I don't have vested interest, am feeling 2nd hand embarrassement.

2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Is there data showing that vaccinated males age 20-40 in peak physical condition are less likely to get hospitalized when they acquire covid?

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I guess the ones that choose to not get vaccinated really want to go back to the Bubble days. I'm sure being away from their family and friends was a blast.

4. steddinotayto

There might be but here's where I take issue with Isaac's comment: it's not about you Jonathan. You're in peak physical condition and you're young? Great. But what about your GM, John Hammond, who's 67 years old? What about your play by play announcer, David Steele, who sits near the scorer's table who's 68 years old? Or maybe someone else within the organization that might have an auto immune deficiency?

That's where all of this "It's a personal decision" or "It's a private matter" argument falls flat--unless there's a high chance/risk that the vaccine is going to screw you up, getting vaccinated should be about getting the whole population protected.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Seriously. If you catch covid and recover, but give it to somebody else beforehand and they die, wouldn't you feel bad about it?

They should ask people this simple question so they are on record acknowledging what a selfish POS they are. I'm gonna be OK if I catch covid, and I'm the only person I care about.

steddinotayto likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

"I would go upstairs and say 'get him up outta here. Get him up outta here' We can win with the one-two punch, a great shooter, and the rebounders we have. Cause now every day, we have to answer questions about him and what he's doing. Get his ass up outta here. Whoever owns the Brooklyn Nets, get him outta here"

Air Langhi and SamFisher like this.
  7. steddinotayto

If Brooklyn wants to replaced their oft-injured point guard with an oft-injured point guard who probably IS vaccinated I know of a team that has one bubble wrapped at home right now.

ElPigto likes this.
  8. Juxtaposed Jolt

I mean, there already have been some players that have contracted covid-19. Fortunately for them, none of them have been hospitalized. Unfortunately though, it might need to take a player being hospitalized for unvaccinated players to 'see the light' and get vaccinated.

Player A will either say that they've contracted the virus and beaten it with no complications (true) or that a teammate has contracted it and beat it with no complications (also true) and use that as an argument against vaccines. It's an unfortunate and selfish POV, but until something bad happens to them personally, that's why it's so hard to change their minds.

9. foh

foh Member

Can I play a devil's advocate here if we are doing hypothetical questions: what if that person does care about a nucleus of people but they all happen to be in a "peak physical condition" of a 20-40 year old, does it still make her/him to be "POS" like you have suggested?

"love thy neighbor" approach is not a universal moral precept last time I checked. Americans are, in fact, pretty big on the value of individualism.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. steddinotayto

I mean...does this person do NOT have any grandparents or parents in their lives? Do they NOT know anyone that might have pre-existing conditions that would make getting COVID a bit riskier? Do they NOT go out in public where they're exposed to all kinds of people? I mean, yea, if that's the case then he's not a POS. Isaac's perspective (based on what he's said this week) is one filled with youth, ignorance and selfishness which is disappointing because, by all accounts, he seems to be a very intelligent individual. Of course, being intelligent doesn't always equate to having common sense.

I'll agree with you that we Americans put an unhealthy value on individualism though.

12. foh

foh Member

Yea, literally "unhealthy" in a pandemic - I'll agree with you on that too.

But calling people derogatory names because they don't think a regulation is serving their values and interests, only brings more distrust and hate, which are likely the causes of them not believing the regulation is in their interest in the first place. That's the reason I piped up about it in a non D&D thread.

13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

except for things like women's rights

14. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

What is the reason for requiring a person recovered from Covid to get the vaccine? Some countries with mandates accept that as a substitute, apparently. Not sure if any of the players refusing to get it had Covid or not, but if they did, wouldn't they have a strong defense against infection and serious Covid complications?

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. steddinotayto

That's cool, Trey, please tell me more about the "naturalistic medicine" you're using to prevent you from getting COVID. Also, your immunization records from when you were a child might say different about things you "always abide by".

ElPigto likes this.
  17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Too many folks have had the virus already. Pharma loses a lot of money if these folks are exempt from the shots.

18. i3artow i3aller

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

LOL

“That would be like me telling him, “Your wife is going into labor. How dare you leave this team and not go tend to your wife.” That’s something that’s personal to him, that’s health related, that’s something personal to his family. This is no different.”

“There is something to be said for people’s concerns about something be pressed so hard. Why are you pressing this so hard, so much and just pressing and pressing and pressing. You have to honor people’s feelings and their own personal beliefs.”

“You’re not giving anyone freedom…you say we live in the land of the free. You’re not giving anyone freedom because you making someone do something essentially uhh without necessarily making them, you’re making them do something. That goes against everything America stands for or supposedly stands for.”

“I’m not gonna go ask him if he got a Polio vaccine. Why would I go ask him if he got a COVID vaccine?”

“I remember the days when your medical history was private. I remember those days. I ain’t that young to where I don’t remember when your medical history was private. I also remember when who you voted for was private. Whether you were Democrat or Republican was private. I remember those days. It’s not so much like that anymore.”

“I’m a little old school. We get away from some things as a country, as a whole, as a whole being of humans, we always think we’re doing better and getting better and when you think you’re doing better, certain things gets lost. I think medical history right now is one of those things that’s been lost. And it’s not going back so I’m not sitting here crying for it to go back, it kinda is what it is. I say all that to say it’s not my place nor my business to say whether he gets vaccinated or not. People in this world could do themselves a great deal if they took that approach as well. It’s your personal choice at the end of the day what you do with your body. It’s not my place to tell him what he should or shouldn’t do with his.”

#239 J.R., Oct 1, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    i3artow i3aller likes this.
  20. i3artow i3aller