1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Kelvin Sampson a leading candidate for University of Houston job

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Mar 24, 2014.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

You are absolutely CORRECT!!! UH are you listening?

2. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Yeah Sampson is such a monster. :rolleyes:That T shirt and drawstring backpack must have been really expensive. NCAA rules are ridiculous.

1 person likes this.
  3. shsu33

shsu33 Member

UH has a much higher ceiling than some think, it won't all come from athletics. New and better on campus living arrangements and revitalizing area around campus will make a higher on campus population. Add in the new stadium and renovated Hoffeinz and the attendance at games will be higher. UH just needs to stay on track and try harder to keep blue chip athletes from leaving city.

1 person likes this.
  4. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Houston sucks. Sleeping giant my ass. I did my undergrad there, had season tickets, friend with Craig Upchurch and Carl Herrera, watched them lose to NC State live, and believe it when I tell you they will ALWAYS disappoint. I was there when Clyde won his coaching debut against Texas. I remember Galen Robinson, William Stringfellow, and that hideously ugly guy with the growth that was the ncaa scoring champion one year and believe it when I tell you they will NEVER be what they once were. Houston, like UTEP, will always cling to history, but the reality is that they simply will never be what they once were ever again.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

All it takes is one good hire and you're right back in it.

Sampson + facility renovations = epic win for the Cougars.

6. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

BS. Clyde was supposed to be that guy. I lived it. They still sucked nuts. I was here for the ridiculous plywood "luxury boxes". Houston simply can't compete with the competition anymore. It's a dead issue. They are done...

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Dude, I really feel like you're holding back here. That you could have made a stronger statement vilifying the university you went to. As someone who has deep ties to UH, allow me to say that I absolutely disagree with you. Have a nice day!

8. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I honestly appreciate your disagreement. If you could tell me even one single thing that I haven't heard before I would absolutely welcome it, but experience has taught me that, when it comes to UH, you are 100 percent going to be disappointed. No kidding, I have been there through thick and thin, through Guy Lewis, Pat Foster, Alvin Brooks, Clyde Drexler, the ridiculous James Dickey hire, and whoever else i am forgetting. Houston has burned me SO MANY times that f-them, they deserve whatever they get. I remember Goldwire, Moses Stupid Malone Junior, Gee Gervin, all of them, and I am so sick of being f'ed in the A by UH basketball that I truly don't give a crap what BS excuse they trot out next. DEAD PROGRAM.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Nothing to it. Just sorry to hear stuff like that from someone who went there, and I was around during all the past history you mentioned, in case you were wondering.

10. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I'm really sorry. I wish I felt differently but I don't. Nothing seems to ever make a difference. New president, new AD, new coach, it is ALWAYS the same thing.

11. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

Glad to see you're optimistic that the Houston Cougars can turnaround their program. :grin: With that being said, I can only imagine the pep talks you have with children trying to encourage them to strive and be better no matter their shortcomings or failures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC7C3kjVNX0

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I thought Hank was an Aggie.

Anyway, money talks. That's how UH could land Sampson.

13. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I would encourage any child not to beat their head repeatedly against a brick wall. Believe me when I tell you that every single one of them would be better for it...

14. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Ag for grad school, but UH undergrad. I love UH, but seriously, it's like putting your sack in a meat grinder.

15. Doktor Mndbndr

I am betting here that unless Sampson learns how to smile, he will never get an NBA head coaching position.

He has a sort of Jeff Van Gundy effect, in a different way. Looking at Van Gundy always made me think, "why is he so sad looking? is he sleep deprived? is he not making enough money?", etc.

Sampson has a sourpuss look that is equally distracting.

16. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Hmm would JVG be interested in UH???

17. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Judging from Drexler's commentary I don't think he'd be a very good coach

18. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

If Sampson leaves, who else is gonna hold Lin back from being a superstar:rolleyes:

19. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

McHale, Harden, Howard, Parsons, Beverley, T-Jones, Asik, Garcia, Casspi, J-Ham, D-Mo, and Cannan are all still here. Am I missing anyone else? :p

20. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

^Don't forget all the international prospects like Sergio Llulz