1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Jvg not interested in Rockets because of relationship with owner

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

From what I've seen and heard from JVG, I really get the feeling he would be interested in it. He's a Houston guy now. This is his home.

JVG telling someone outside of his circle he wouldn't be interested also makes sense to me. It doesn't mean that is how he genuinely feels. But he is the type of guy that goes out of his way to not step on a CURRENT coaches toes. Like he did on 790 a few months ago. Meanwhile, between the lines, it seemed clear to me - he'd be interested.

#201 Ziggy, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

DUELING SAUCES

*grabs popcorn*

3. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

This is the main point. This is his home, where his daughter grew up and where he came a part of the community. Season tickets to the Texans, always around Episcopal High School bball, etc..

It makes too much sense for him. Roster/Management aside.

4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I believe cyber but that doesn't mean jvg and les couldn't have a conversation and straighten things out.

5. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I hope so, I want to have JVG as our coach, but I just think Stein is just speculating something, has no real information from JVG.

6. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

7. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

We better start showcasing our players and play extra harder so JVG will choose Houston. Has he seen us play yet? ;)

8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wasn't part of the reason Van Gundy was fired due to his inability to coach the team past the first round, including a game 7 loss at home?

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

The Rockets are expected to contend now with Harden but Harden is part of the problem. Coaches know they get all the blame & are the first to go. In Houston it's a team run by the Three Stooges in Les, Daryl, & Tad. Yet, they only get 11 games to defend their rep. Why jeopardise their future coaching prospects?

10. boiler

boiler Member

JVG recently said that the problem with Rockets was they were not a good team. So he may have changed his mind.

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

This was always my takeaway. I think cyber is spot on, and folks close to JVG probably have doubts as to whether he could work with Les again. However, all this intel doesn't get leaked to Woj/Stein unless at least one side thinks they can have a conversation and sort things out. It doesn't guarantee a happy outcome, but it's very possible for cyber's info to be spot on and for the two sides to still have a discussion to see if things can change.

(Also, for purposes of leverage, it's probably a good idea for JVG to take a "skeptical" stance, at least to some degree. Perhaps he can squeeze more concessions out of Les this way, be it $$$ or something else.)

#211 The Cat, Apr 20, 2016
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

#212 J.R., Apr 20, 2016
  13. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Rudy deserved to get canned. 4 straight lotto seasons and a bunch of horrible trades, signings, and draft picks left this team in a mess. Had it not been for a lucky ping pong ball bounce in 2002, we would've be a total disaster.

JVG I always felt had bad luck due to timing. He only really had one great year of T-Mac. The 2004 and 2006 seasons were essentially wasted due to Francis still being here in the former and a bunch of injuries in the latter. And then in 2007, Yao missed a couple months and the roster was still a work in progress due to the mess left behind by Rudy and Carroll that took years to fix. But bottom line is that after 3 first round losses in 4 years, including a blown 2-0 series lead coming home against Dallas and then dropping Game 7 at home to Utah, JVG didn't have a lot of defenders by the time he was let go.

Adelman did get the shaft by Les and Morey, but the entire organization was in a holding pattern due to Yao's foot problems. Injuries just screwed this franchise in 2009 with T-Mac and then Yao going down. Adelman did the best he could with a very bad hand. I wish things had ended differently, but he wasn't gonna accomplish much with this roster as it was.

McHale was just a bad hire from the beginning. I suppose he would've been ok overseeing a rebuilding project, but the moment the franchise landed Harden and then Dwight, he was a horrible fit. I will say this though. Even though people can take issue with the way McHale was run out of town after only 11 games this year, he was spared a deserved firing IMO after the Portland loss in 2014 and then was given a very premature 3-year extension less than 2 months into the following season. So despite an abrupt, ugly ending, he was cut a lot of slack by Les and Morey during his 4+ years as head coach.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What he said.

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

But Stein works at ESPN and knows JVG personally. Perhaps Stein hears of JVG's interest directly from the man himself.

16. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

JVG is playing hard to get so he can get the best offer from Le$ he can. He's waiting until we're desperate and giving him a blank check.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

#217 J.R., Apr 20, 2016
  18. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--wizards-offer-head-coaching-job-to-scott-brooks-213807080.html

19. Houston09

Houston09 Member

Just read an article saying van gundy would be very interested in the position if it came open.

20. weopeo9744

weopeo9744 Member

I have been a Rockets fan for just one year, somebody tell me is Jeff Van Gundy better than Kevin Mchale?