1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Houston Rockets Weighing Future of Head Coach Stephen Silas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

I do wonder, what system could u possibly have when your PG is KPJr and now EG? Silas sucks, but I honestly can’t see a coach or his system looking that good with those options at guard

guard play so bad people think Jalen Green should actually be PG

And it seems like Stone has some control over rotations? Is that why we see House and the Theis Wood frontcourt??

2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Lol. Morey for all his faults never made us rebuild. Once tilman came aboard it became more and more apparent tilman wants to do it everyone bailed.
    It cheaper to rebuild.
    But sure the direction of how we are now and how shtty we look is all harden, Morey, silas and stones fault never our cheap ass owner

#102 DatRocketFan, Nov 24, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    BHannes2BHonest and HP3 like this.
  3. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

This is exactly right. If we are sacrificing winning games to develop our youngsters and we aren't playing them (with the exception of Green), then WTF are we doing? Sengun should be getting at least 20-25 min every game if not starting. I don't care if the Rockets end up with the worst record of all time, because we are getting a high draft pick but the direction of the team, the lack of structure on offense is very discouraging.

Rockets34Legend and bballjunkie like this.
  4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

Stone should take some blame for the roster construction just like Silas needs to take blame on the rotations and general lack or organization.

remember stone moved Jarret Allen in the harden deal because they didn't think he would be a good fit next to wood, then signs thies who is the same archype as Allen but far far worse. so he knew wood was not a 4, drafted sengun, then signed thies anyway.

the nwaba signing wasn't a good idea, not moving off of house's contract wasn't a good move. those guys don't help green/sengun develop. stone should've spent money this offseason on floor spacers to make things easier for green and KPJ, and honestly wall could've started over kpj without stagnating his growth. KPJ could still get 30mpg off the bench and play half his minutes at PG (which I'm not sure he'll ever be anyway).

Silas takes fault for not putting the young guys first. instead of relying on thies and nwaba to win games to save your job (good luck with that), play green and sengun 32mpg, play garuba and Christopher rotation minutes. lose as many games as you want, people would accept it if they saw the young guys getting better each game.

he needs to run some plays. bring some structure. I know he loves read and react. and that works for harden, Luka, LeBron, Steph and the other superstars he coached but that's not what rookies need.

TL/DR: stone failed by creating a log jam at center and putting together a roster of no shooting or playmaking, then blames the coach for the terrible offensive efficiency and act:to ratio. Silas failed by trying to win games with crappy vets when he should be playing all the young guys and running set plays to give them structure and teach them how to play.

5. T for 3

T for 3 Member

This is definitely not a knee jerk reaction...Silas is inept and it is hindering the development of our players. He has to go.

6. alethios

alethios Member

If we fire him mid-season, we won't have the long term replacement available until off-season and we'll still be as bad as we are on our way to a top 5 pick. I say let it ride for this season then hire his replacement.

7. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I feel like 9/10 coaches that are tasked to rebuild will end up being the fall man.

Idk what's going in silas head, as he utilizes veterans instead of developing rookies.
    Is this is his desperate attempt to prolong his job? Is he teaching a lesson to the rookies? Is stone or our cheap ass owners giving orders on how to coach?

All I know is silas like culley r two minority coaches desperate for a shtty job that was stacked against them from the start. Is it safe to say they never had a fair chance cause regardless if he played the rookies like u guys wanted he still gonna get fired since our team is not good enough.

He Maybe incompetent like McHale, just feel sorry for him. Never got a fair shot.

#107 DatRocketFan, Nov 24, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  8. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I DIDNT SAY THAT AGAIN THIS IS WHY THIS BOARD SUCKS AT TIMES PEOPLE WHO RESPOND TO YOU TELL YOU WHAT YOURE SAYING INSTEAD OF LISTENING TO WHAT YOURE SAYING. Its easier to respond or debate someone when you can build a narrative of their intentions. Im not defending Tillman here Ive said it several times.

9. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

He still might not be fired now and considering how much you have people defending him now I would bet a lot more people would defend him if he were to actually develop the kids. Thats the main concern for most people. I would be one of them. We are supposed to be rebuilding but it looks like he's trying to develop the vets lol

10. Milos

Milos Member

Has Mario Elie given up on coaching?
    I know he's doing some studio stuff on broadcasts

Seems like he would at least get the kids to buy into playing hard and teach some toughness while babysitting the Big Tank for the rest of the season

Tilman will like it as he'd surely come super cheap

kubli9 and daywalker02 like this.
  11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

U aren't defending tilman but like the many others that follow u blame others for being the state we are now. How is it u and others can blame the former gm, former superstar, new coach, new gm for being the reason y we r sht but somehow the cheap ass owner is absolved of all fault. Noticed how u mentioned only Morey for leading us to this situation and not the cheap ass owner. Stop playing the victim.

12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Reasonable. I honestly can't tell if he is just sht at his job or someone is telling him how to coach. Either way silas is the fall man who was desperate for this shtty job. No coach worth his chop is eager to rebuild a team. I honestly believe most coach fail to see to the end of a rebuild process.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  13. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Because the Rockets werent invented in 2020. There is a road we took to get here and its not just on TIllman. We would not be here now if James Harden and Chris Paul could get along and then James demand that he work with his best friend who he also couldnt get along with lol. A lot of people are to blame.

14. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whatever happened to Sam Cassell? I'd rather any ex-player or especially ex-Rocket over silver platter Sillyass.

aaquaa likes this.
  15. i3artow i3aller

Is the new coach going to somehow have them make their usually missed free throws and three pointers? Silas is doing an excellent job of leading us to a top five pick with the scraps this team has to offer. He's stuck in a thankless position at this point. Another coach would lose just as miserably with this team as currently constructed.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  16. Juxtaposed Jolt

Honestly feel bad for him if he does get fired.

He was talked up a lot by most knowledgeable people, so he came in with high expectations. iirc he signed on the dotted line when both Westbrook and Harden were here. Then he had to deal with both being off the team. Then he had to deal with the worst Rockets season in a long time. Then he had to deal with a cheapass owner, trying to implement rookies + juggling Wall's situation + trying to make this team respectable.

Imagine if you were talked up a bunch by your peers and mentors and another company took them at their word and hired you. So you take on a similar job at another company in another city, and you then became the main reason as to why that company is now close to bankruptcy / dissolution. That's the situation Silas is in, right now.

If he gets fired, hopefully he'll find success somewhere else.

17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Once again another poster pushing this dumbass narrative that big Ole harden force poor tilmans hand to break up a championship caliber team. Tilman wanted to do whatever It takes to win but he had to bow down to Harden wishes. Harden couldnt get along with cp3 and made poor tilman do it. A lot of people to blame,

Like I said u claim not to defend tilman but say the exact sht all tilman defenders sprout. Next thing u r gonna tell me tilman isn't a cheapass who wasn't actively avoiding lts there was just no great players for him to sign to assist Harden.

18. TimDuncanDonaut

If we are going to fire a Rockets coach to make an example... may I suggest Jeff Hornacek?

[​IMG]

19. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

You literally did what I said you would. You replaced what I siad with what you wanted me to say so you can say that im defending Tillman lol The people on this board are hilarious man lol I AM NOT DEFENDING TILLMAN. Its not all on one person though. CP3 and Harden had issues are you just going to ignore that to only blame Tillman last I checked TIllman gave CP3 a phat ****in contract lol

20. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe as an assistant, he'll likely never be a head coach in the NBA again after this.