1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Houston Rockets Weighing Future of Head Coach Stephen Silas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Nov 24, 2021.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Nice guy, but even with the hand he has been dealt, his rotations and system are incredibly suspect. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt, but when KJ Martin and Sengun are behind on the rotation for inferior players, he deserves to be evaluated on those poor decisions.

Moe, Richie_Rich, Rashmon and 7 others like this.
  2. DreamR

DreamR Member

So it took a coach being fired for a team who's record was better than ours for the front office to finally see that our coach sucks too

How do these people have jobs?

3. Rockets21

Rockets21 Member

I hope he gets to finish out this year. I don’t think he wanted to walk into a situation where the team literally disbanded before he coached his first game. There was a lot of things he had no control of. They should evaluate him after the season.

At least the news should encourage him to be more assertive and show some tough love to the younger players. It’s not the talent it’s the lack of competitiveness that I see with this team. And if you can’t compete you’re not getting minutes.

bballjunkie and jch1911 like this.
  4. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

Did yall forgot what happened last season?

Hawks fired Lloyd Pierce their head coach, and made the ECF.

5. chance46

chance46 Member

Im good with Lucas replacing him. Lucas will at least get in their ear. I remember a fluff piece a few weeks ago about Lucas and Green. It made it sound like Lucas was at least willing to push the players. If that happens I imagine Lucas continuing to coach next year. Its not like it matters if they had an actual good coach, the players wont be there quite yet. Hopefully after Lucas tenure as hc is over Tilman ponies up and hires an established and successful coach. Who knows whether that will happen though.

Patience likes this.
  6. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

I’m really torn about this. How will big thesis get his minutes in a new regime?

it takes an Ivy League coach to work a big thesis.

daywalker02 and harold bingo like this.
  7. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Gonna go out on a limb and say that won’t happen for the Rockets.

harold bingo and daywalker02 like this.
  8. JW86

JW86 Member

Not good news since whoever replaces him won’t be that much different and it’s a bad look. Cannot just do this after not even 20 games.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree. You have to have standards and Silas is actively sabotaging the team with his foolish rotations.

No one expects anything much from him, he's only here to soak up blame during down seasons, but all he has to do to earn his pay is play the young guys and lose games.

Keeping your best rookie stuck on the bench while playing trash veterans is grounds for termination.

10. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

They were god awful before that too lol The key is who you get to replace him.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Keep him through the end of the year and then evaluate.

Backup QB syndrome. Insert the backup! Play the backup!
    Fire the coach! Magic bullet! Fire the coach! Immediate, instant improvement! Hire this guy, hire that guy!
    Yeah! John Lucas/Jeff Hornacek/Will Weaver will get them playing better, looking better!
    Yeah, the same John Lucas everyone was terrified of hiring when he was a finalist with Silas!
    Yeah, the same Will Weaver some were b****ing about in Summer League!

IF he’s fired,… “Wow, we’re still shitty?!” “Wow, we still look bad?!” “Wow, Eric Gordon, Daniel Theis and Danuel House are still getting minutes?!”

What if Stone is having him play Theis, House, Nwaba and all the veterans everyone hates?

“ItS nOt AbOuT wInS/lOsSes!”

So it’s not about W/L but a beauty pageant. You want them to “look good” losing.

I’m sure Spurs fans are taking solace in their 4-12 record because they have Popovich, “look good” losing & are “developing the right way”.

BTW, how has the “great Popovich” looked since the Big 3 retired and Kawhi got up out there? 48-34, 32-39, 33-39, 4-12…wow!)
    How about the “great Steve Kerr” the last 2 years? 15-50! 39-33, missed playoffs.
    Wow, you mean these coaches & great coaches are only as good as the superstars/talent they have available to them?! :eek:

This is year ONE of the rebuild. Last year was the tear down. Hell, there’s still more tearing down to do. Rebuilds do not happen over night, over one summer. Let me let you in on a secret (shhh! Don’t tell anyone!) *whispers* They’re gonna be bad again next year too!

Sixers/Brett Brown
    13/14: 19-63
    14/15: 18-64
    15/16: 10-72
    16/17: 28-54

Cavs/Post-LeBron
    10/11: 19-63
    11/12: 21-45
    12/13: 24-58
    13/14: 33-49
    18/19: 19-63
    19/20: 19-46
    20-21: 22-50
    21-22: 9-9

Suns
    15/16: 23-59 (Booker’s rookie year)
    16/17: 24-58
    17/18: 21-61
    18/19: 19-63
    19/20: 34-39
    20/21: 51-21

Lakers
    13/14: 27-55
    14/15: 21-61
    15/16: 17-65 (Kobe’s last year)
    16/17: 26-56
    17/18: 35-47
    18/19: 37-45 (LeBron’s first year)

Hawks
    17/18: 24-58
    18/19: 29-53 (Trae’s rookie year)
    19/20: 20-47
    20/21: 41-31
    21/22: 9-9

“Stupid Les! Y U NO LET MORLEY TANK?!”
    “Don’t want to be on the treadmill of mediocrity, 42-40.”
    “Don’t want Simmons or Jarrett Allen or LeVert or Oladipo, not trying to be average.”
    Team is actually rebuilding (tanking, just plain bad, whatever) and surprise surprise, people are still mad. Zero patience. Like non.

If they only had a real coach (who’d start and play Sengun all 48 minutes), they’d be the best looking 4-13 team instead of 1-16! #Progress #WhatAreYouWaitingOn #DOSOMETHINGTILMAN!

(Call me a “Silas defender”)
    [​IMG]

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Jason Garrett is available.

BHannes2BHonest and juanm34 like this.
  13. bmelo

bmelo Member

They should be weighing since 10 games. Now they should be pulling triggers. Im not trying to hear how nice of a guy is next head coach i need proven championship track at any level enough of these fake puppets that didnt lead **** in their life

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Making the WCF is substantially harder, make the Play In first I would say.

15. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I would let Lucas take over.

These players are still making a bunch of the same mistakes they made early in the season. Not getting back in transition, not locking in on defense. Getting stagnant on offense, just all around lazy play.

Xs and Os aside, this team just flat out lacks discipline.

Not to mention all the other issues.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Lack of adjustments, lack of minutes for Sengun, not playing Wall when KPJ clearly isn't working, Wood's regression... the team is arguably worse now than it was early in the season.

fattz and ElPigto like this.
  17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

This is what we want though lol. I'm okay playing Sengun 48 minutes and being 4-13. I can't deal with playing Theis more than Sengun and we are on 1-16 instead.

I'm a patient person, so winning is not what I am looking for, however I am impatient when it appears we may stunt the growth of talented young players. Exhibit A playing House over Martin.

18. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

While I appreciate the work you put into this post. Silas would not be fired if he were doing exactly what SIlas wants. Also no one can predict how a team will perform after a coahcing change. Thats not the point though. No one who wants SIlas fired is Knee jerking anything, he just not a good coach. We also arent looking for wins just common sense changes. The idea that a new guy wouldnt come in and change things that literally everyone else can see but Silas is a stretch. If Silas playing the vets is stones plan he wouldnt be leaving so I guess we'll see and Stone will get the appropriate blame.

19. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

^This some people are acting like we expect to be a playoff team lol No we just want common sense ass moves.

clos4life likes this.
  20. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

Team trying to lose pretends they aren't tanking. Please give us the #1 pick, we're so incompetent, unlike evil Sam Hinkie.