1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Houston Rockets Weighing Future of Head Coach Stephen Silas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I just see no advantage in changing coaches now

Rocket River

2. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Playing Sengun and KJ more is an immediate advantage. Find someone who will do that.

3. HP3

HP3 Member

Who wants to make Joe our head coach?

4. spm_fan

spm_fan Member

Late night post win thoughts ....
    Who leaked this information to Fischer? Most 'insider' news is leaked with some sort of incentive for the party speaking to the reporter right?
    In this case who's camp on the Rockets would want this news out there. I don't think Tillman or Stone would undermine their head coach by speaking to the media, when they have the power to directly address him or fire him.
    So that leaves me with one person who would have any incentive to leak this info; John Wall.
    His "camp" tells the reporter Silas' job is shaky to get him to finally play Wall.
    Thanks for attending my Rockets conspiracy theory ted talk.

burlesk, fckbandwagons and D-rock like this.
  5. PhiSlammaJamma

When asked how the fock are they doing this, Silas said, Cocaine.

RasaqBoi, hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  6. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

An OKC fans take on Silas's coaching,

"Poor Sengun, setting screens and getting ignored in good positions.
    Does Silas actually coach this team? They just seem to be freestyling... apparently for their first time ever...."

I always like to listen what other teams think of the Rockets because they dont watch all of our games and it just seems like most around the league pick up pretty quickly on Silas's bad coaching.

RasaqBoi, kdchilds, aaquaa and 2 others like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Silas needs to maintain max spacing and shooting in BOTH the starting and 2nd units.

bj3175 likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Silas criticism deserved or no?

9. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He deserves all of the criticism he was getting, but at the same time he deserves some credit now. He finally made an adjustment and it has paid off, but it took way too long for him to figure it out. Still, at least he did finally adjust. We’ll see how they are going forward, but he still has a lot of work to do.

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I agree; as much as I've clowned on him at least Stephen made adjustments. Sure it came at the heels of a 15 game losing streak (I don't even have the data but I'm sure he's the only coach in Rockets history to have two 15+ game losing streaks) but maybe that was the kick in the ass he needed. I'd chalk it up to being a relatively new coach but this was one of those "Everyone sees this Stephen, why aren't you?" scenarios.

D-rock and Dobbizzle like this.
  11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You're correct in assuming that a large # of bbs people were skeptical of the twin towers lineup.

Less useful was the prescription of a significant # of that #: to double down and make it a Turkish tower lineup

D-rock likes this.
  12. Bo6

Bo6 Member

yeah im cool with Silas now that he made adjustments. i just wanted to make sure the right players are getting minutes.

D-rock likes this.
  13. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Pretty much exactly how I feel about it. He was looking absolutely atrocious to start the season, since adjusting he's looking better. I still think he needs to utilise more structure and definitely needs to work on his plays coming out of timeouts/dead ball situations. He's as much in the "evaluating whether he's the guy" position as KPJ is in my mind.

D-rock likes this.
  14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

yes and no?

the criticism was playing 2 center lineups, playing vets who can't shoot, prioritizing vets over developing rookies, and the team looking generally disorganized and disinterested.

I don't give him credit for making the adjustment to 1 center lineups with spacing because that was obvious from the start and it took him 20 games to make the change. the thies situation could be behind the scenes politics with dealing with agents and wanting to stay on good terms with them. maybe they signed him with the agreement he'd start. maybe there was pushback from the agent about benching him. Stone tries to do right by people so I can imagine that kind of stuff being the reasoning behind Theis starting and even now playing over sengun. if that's the case I don't blame stone or Silas. but we will never know that for sure so right now it looks like poor coaching decisions.

its really hard to evaluate a coach with such a poor roster. the only thing I would hope for is to see the rookies improving and the team playing hard. even with a terrible roster a coach can show he's motivating the team and developing the young guys. I think we've seen sengun improve although he came in with a high floor. I think we've seen green just start to turn the corner when he got injured. I think we've seen KPJ improve defensively although I think he's a ways away from being a PG or an efficient scorer. so there are signs of progress, and on that note his criticism for losing games isn't deserved.

the win streak isn't necessarily his doing either. no coincidence that our least efficient players (green, KPJ) missed time and we start winning. Mathews won't continue to be a 50% 3 point shooter all season. we won a couple of good games and a couple of really favorable matchups for Cwood. so there was confluence of factors that created chances to win. that's why Silas can't be judged by wins and losses. 15 game losing streaks don't mean he's bad, and 4 game win streaks don't mean he's good. keep an eye on the player development and motivation.

Dobbizzle, D-rock and aaquaa like this.
  15. sheb

sheb Member

Wasn’t there an article saying Stone was dictating lineups ? You’re blaming Silas but it may be management that was forcing the 2 big man lineup. Probably to showcase certain individuals for a trade.

D-rock likes this.
  16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I’m of the belief that there was real pressure on Silas to win some of these last few games (up to an including tonight )

if we only got 1 win out of 3 OKC games and the orl game then it might even be justified.

You can see what winning did for the confidence of the team and making guys play better . If we lose all these games , Silas is feeling super defeated and I think could have lost the locker room .

he’s safe now for a while .

D-rock and aaquaa like this.
  17. conquistador#11

Of course it's well deserved. Around loss #5, some of us said just a tiny alteration to the starting lineup would open up so much for Green and Porter. The change was removing Theis from the lineup. Theis is a good nba player but the fit was off. The offense resembled more Hoosiers 1950s basketball. Some contrarians responded with 'taking Theis out isn't going to change anything.' This is the team I was expecting, a team capable of beating the bottom feeders and challenging the 5-9 seeds.
    However, I didn't expect Matthews to take over the Theis spot. I don't even know how we acquired homeboy like he appeared out of thin air. Need to keep him.

D-rock likes this.
  18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I can only speak for myself on why I wanted Sengun in the starting lineup with Wood. Basically the calculus is pretty simple: you take a player that is virtually a non-threat on the perimeter and replace him with a player that, at best, can knock down a three at a higher % or, at worst, has the ability to drive into the middle of the paint to draw additional defenders. Even rebounding stats slightly favor Sengun over Theis. Whatever advantage Theis has on Sengun is negated and then some by Daniel's atrocious offense.

Basically I don't think a two big lineup was a failure because there's two bigs--it was because one of those two bigs was really bad as a starter.

jch1911, D-rock and aaquaa like this.
  19. alethios

alethios Member

I think his adjustments were more injury-based than a fundamental shift in philosophy.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Would love to see that article, link?