1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Houston has started contacting teams about trading Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

Which crappy contracts?

2. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I would put Ariza in there if it meant getting Winslow.

3. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

That's why you get an asset in Winslow,

4. finsraider

finsraider Member

I might do something like this....

HOU In: Dragic, Winslow, Deng, Pick from 3rd team
    MIA In: Dwight, Ariza
    3rd team: Whiteside

5. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

That's and ideal trade for the Rockets. Swap out Dragic for Deng and Anderson then. Winslow is the only real asset.

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Everyone needs to remember the difference between reporting and supposition this time of year. There's a lot of the latter being passed around as the former.

No one has actually said Whiteside would be the only asset in a Dwight-to-Miami deal. The Miami Herald report specifically states that it's a hypothetical. Isola mentions only Whiteside because he's a headline player and it's a tweet limited to 140 characters.

Unless the Rockets seriously think Whiteside is better than Dwight in 2015-16 and can significantly move the needle for them this season (both I doubt), there's no incentive for Houston to deal Dwight for Whiteside + expirings. None. Even if DM is bullish on Whiteside, he could stick with Dwight for the rest of this season and go after Whiteside over the summer with the same possibility of success (i.e. $$$) that he'd have if Whiteside were here now.

If Houston deals with Miami, Whiteside would essentially be a flier. Sure, you could give him a test drive and potentially try to re-sign him, but I don't think a reasonable person would expect Houston to move Dwight for that. There would have to be some sort of longer-term asset as part of the deal... which would mean Dragic, Winslow or some sort of draft considerations. Ignore the clickbait supposition and focus on the actual value.

7. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

This is a deal I would consider.

Howard, Ariza, Terry for Deng, Whiteside, Winslow, Andersen, McRoberts. Buy out Andersen and try to move McBob to a 3rd team.

8. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Bye Bye Dwight. Lets see if Morey does this properly or effs this up like the Lowry trade

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

How did Morey "eff up the Lowry trade"?

10. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

Are you describing Dwight or Whiteside.. sounds like both

11. kayc

kayc Member

Wasn't there a thread at the beginning of the season talking about ATL wanting Howard but they feel like he wants to be in Mia? I'm trying to find it. Someone help:)

12. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

I mean it makes no sense for us to do this deal unless we get dragic or Winston. Howard and whiteside are basically the same situation. Atlanta would make sense for us but not sure why they swap hortford for Howard

But I think rockets should try and match up with the Bucks they seem like a perfect fit

Middleton and mayo for Howard and two of jj or dekker or Harrell you need to get Henson or Plumlee too whichever you could snag

#1312 megastahr, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

That's his and mine point, why would Heat give up so much for only Dwight?

Dwight's value is really down this season, no way Heat give up Whiteside, Winslow (huuuge talent and already playing big minutes) aand Dragic or other key players for only Dwight. It would be completely pointless and make them much worse.

14. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

This. Good post.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

That's not nearly enough for Houston to have any interest in dealing him. You aren't getting anything back of value other than MAYBE Whiteside if he is of value (on the court maybe.... off the court he might not be worth the trouble).

That's the reason why I said Houston would need a third team to make a Dwight to Mia deal work. Dragic is too much (by Miami's standards) and Mia's junk expirings aren't enough for Houston.

The trick for Houston will be finding a team that has the assets to make moving Dragic worthwhile to get more than just (crazy to say "just" here but) Dwight.

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

^Don't agree that Dragic has value

On that contract, with his performance this year, he is neutral value at best and on the way down.

17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Really need a cyber post now and didn't cyber mention something about whiteside?

18. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Would be very easy. Would be Luol Deng and Chris Anderson and maybe Beno Udrih, if it was no one other than Whiteside coming back.

I think Charlotte could be a team that would make sense as a 3rd team. Send them Corey Brewer.

Rockets IN: Whiteside, Winslow, Deng, Marvin Williams, Gerald Green.
    Rockets OUT: Dwight Howard, Corey Brewer, 2016 2nd (either Knicks or ours, if not sent to Minnesota)

Heat IN: Dwight Howard, Tyler Hansbrough, Troy Daniels, Charlotte 2016 Lottery protected 1st.
    Heat OUT: Whiteside, Winslow, Deng, Green, Chris Anderson.

Charlotte IN: Corey Brewer, Chris Anderson, 2016 2nd.
    Charlotte OUT: Marvin Williams, Hansbrough, Daniels, 2016 Lottery protected 1st.

We get Winslow and control of Whiteside and Williams into FA. Miami gets a 1st and Dwight for Winslow and Whiteside. Charlotte gets Brewer and a 2nd for a 1st and Williams, who they aren't signing anyway.

19. ball4life66

ball4life66 Member

Chris Broussard on Dwight Howard: “I’m told he would like to get to Atlanta.”
    2 mins ago – via ESPN.com

Chris Broussard on Dwight Howard: “Even last last year his representation talked to the Hawks about ‘Hey, it may be not working out in Houston… What do you guys think?’ He’s from Atlanta. He needs some love.”
    – via ESPN.com

20. topfive

topfive CF OG

So the Heat give up half of their team for Howard and scraps? Since when is Pat Riley that big of an idiot?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.