1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Expect the NBA back playing by mid/late June with 10 reg season games before POs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 5, 2020.

1. TimDuncanDonaut

That RealGM article on Tibs is so short. They also said candidates for the Knicks.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

yeppers, that pretty much sux for older legged teams; so, what will next season’s RoxSquad look like? I guess we shall all see what we all shall see...

BigShasta likes this.
  4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The assumption that the NBA can/should go back to an 82 game, 16-28 game postseason Bataan death march of a season is obscenely flawed.

Aside from the risks, there is very little demand for it from the fans.

Silver has the opportunity to change things here, if not they risk disaster.

DVauthrin and D-rock like this.
  5. TilmanFinancialWindfall

I can't imagine that CP3 and the Players would approve this? All the guys with power and vocal are REALLY OLD, like Lebron and CP3.

Harden would fall apart by game 50 player 38 minutes or 45 minutes if Tommy T is the new coach

6. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Go to 60 games and start Superbowl week?

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

There's so many creative things they could do to avoid this problem, generate interest, and probably maintain the same # of games as well. 30 game mini seasons, Elam endings, in season tournaments. Multiple short offseasons/trade deadlines. An in season draft.

There's no market for back to back to back games anymore. Nobody wants to see it. Players don't want to play it. People aren't even going to be allowed in arenas in many places or will think better of it if there's an outbreak.

Why set yourself up for a season starting in December that basically requires COVID19 immunity to be in place unless you want a rerun of this farcical season resumption? They just don't get it. Mickey Arison must be thinking he's gonna be packing his cruise ships again too.

If public schools are going to have to change and every other business how does the NBA get an exemption? It doesn't.

DVauthrin and D-rock like this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

ESPN, TNT Will Have Announcers Call Games Remotely

The NBA will not have their play-by-announcers in the NBA's bubble in Orlando until at least the Conference Finals with TNT conducting their broadcasts remotely from Atlanta.

“What I’ve heard from the folks at TNT is we will be in the studios in Atlanta and they will set up as close to possible a broadcast table like we would have courtside,” Kevin Harlan told SiriusXM NBA Radio channel hosts Tom Byrne and Amin Elhassan. “We will have, I’m assuming, crowd noise pumped into our headsets. I think for the viewer, I don’t think it’s going to seem dramatically different. Now you’re not going to have courts that you recognize from Milwaukee or Los Angeles or Boston, so that’s going to be a little bit weird. But if we’re all just kind of sitting there watching, I don’t know that we’ll really notice a great deal of difference. The one thing I have heard is that not until the conference finals would there be any consideration for broadcasters being in this setting. That might be the first time that an actual broadcaster might be on-site, doing a conference final, and of course, the NBA Finals.”

D-rock likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

10. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

11. JW86

JW86 Member

Star players staying home would be funny. If next season is just 82 games starting in December then we'll never see serious changes, so there's that.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29293985/faction-nba-players-hesitant-restart-sources-say

We want to play! We want to play!
    Everyone wants to play!
    Silver wants to re-start!
    Owners want to re-start!
    Players want to re-start!
    Everyone excited to play!

Players are citing a number of concerns, including family situations, the inability to leave the Disney World Resort campus, the coronavirus pandemic and the implications surrounding the emergence of social justice causes in the country, sources said. Participants in Orlando -- including players -- will not be allowed to leave the bubble environment without a 10-day quarantine upon their return to the Disney grounds, sources said.

Players deciding against the Orlando resumption would not be paid for missed games, sources said.

Players who decide against participating in Orlando could be replaced by a substitution player, sources told ESPN. The NBA plans to allow replacements for players who test positive for the coronavirus or suffer injuries, sources said. Those players who are replaced become ineligible for the rest of the 2019-20 season, sources said.

D-rock and BigShasta like this.
  13. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

What players would the substitution pool be made up of?

14. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Say hello Donatas Motiejunas :D

omgTHEpotential likes this.
  15. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

But in all seriousness... the G-League player pool is pretty significant.

omgTHEpotential and JumpMan like this.
  16. omgTHEpotential

But in all seriousness, DMo just left China after disagreeing to take a paycut from his Chinese club. :D

daywalker02 likes this.
  17. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

How do you say "I have rights" in Mandarin?

omgTHEpotential and daywalker02 like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I rember the G-League brehs scoring like superstars, being called up and ending as fish fodder.

#798 daywalker02, Jun 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  19. JW86

JW86 Member

I want Big 3 guys in that replacement pool!

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

D-rock likes this.