1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Dwight doesn't see himself as a Rocket next year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Mar 21, 2016.

1. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

It really is sad how quickly this franchise has turned into a circus show.

1 person likes this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Morey was not going to tie up cap room/flexibility just to take 20 cents on the dollar. A move had to make sense.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It's not 20 cents on the dollar, in salary terms. A trade requires $1 for $1, which means your statement "it's still better than zero" is missing the whole free agent capspace issue. Is getting a $1 back per $1 of Dwight's salary really better than maximizing your cap space?

That what Morey was looking at. He needed a good trade to get either a starter back at position of need, or expiring contracts. And he tried.

1 person likes this.
  4. HtownRock

HtownRock Member

I think Morey wanted to trade Dwight but didn't expect his market value to be so low and basically couldn't get other teams to give away their quality players other than some scrubs. I've heard rumors that Toronto rejected offer for Valanciunas - Dwight trade. That's how bad things have gotten.

5. underrated015

underrated015 Member

We have to upgrade at the 1 , 3 , and 4 spot . The center in todays nba is irrelevant. Bye dwight

6. Newlin

Newlin Member

This is not news. It WOULD be news if Dwight actually thought he was coming back to the Rockets next year. When Dwight was being shopped at the trade deadline, everyone knew Dwight was gone from Houston.

7. malakas

malakas Member

they dont' have any incentive to do a s+t becuase they have enough capspace to sign Dwight outright and can trade Rolo to some other team. He has positive value.

I wonder if Biyombo is a RFA ?

8. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

The rest of the league does not value Dwight as much as a lot of people on CLutchfans. This might serve as a wake up for what exactly the Rockets major problem has been this year.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Who knows how he feels since that always gets misreported but I never really saw him coming back for salary reasons. This is his last major contract in a crazy FA year.

10. malakas

malakas Member

Good defence and rebounding at the C position is not irrelevant at all.
    Neither is having a player who is incapable of doing anything in offence on his own, in the playoffs. Teams ignore them completely.

11. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Wait until playoffs Dwight shows up...

12. HtownRock

HtownRock Member

Yeah, I have nothing against Dwight personally, but for a guy earning $23 million dollars and producing so little on both ends of the court, he actually had it easy in terms of getting criticized. If Harden didn't function as the village scapegoat, Dwight would have been skewered through and through by the fans and the media.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Some teams wanted him but not for the terms Dwight insisted. Any team would want Dwight for $20 million next season but Dwight wants a 4-5 year commitment and that's what scares off teams

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I believe the rumor was that IF the Bucks were going to trade for Dwight, it would have been for Greg Monroe. Of course Dwight did not opt in, so the deal did not happen.

Monroe's deal is salary that would be on the books. BUT, Morey probably felt comfortable where he could move his salary OUT if he needed to for 2 max contracts. He still would have had the flexibility.

15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

16. alethios

alethios Member

I think the signs are there. He probably likes hearing that Phil Jackson may coach the Knicks home games. I think Dwight would have stayed in LA had Phil been the coach there.

17. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I'm not going to pretend like the team is better without him. The rebounding would be league-worst without him.

That said, Chandler Parsons, Zaza Pachulia and Jordan Hill are more efficient post-up scorers than Dwight. If the Rockets swapped out every possession for a Dwight Howard post-up that took the same amount of time, they'd be scoring 83 points per game instead of 105. So I'm not sympathetic to him wanting more post touches.

Dwight won't be happy in the NBA until he stops trying to be Shaq and accepts his late-career destiny as a rich man's Tyson Chandler.

1 person likes this.
  18. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here was my argument against signing him:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=7970815&postcount=52

And last year I ramped up my arguments against keeping him:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=9455205&postcount=977

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=9475508&postcount=56

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=9498799&postcount=1040

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=9499595&postcount=33

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=9505645&postcount=148

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=9609654&postcount=73

He was never a good fit with a player whose greatest strength as a playmaker was getting to the basket and kicking out to perimeter shooters. Maybe he'll do better in a system that moves the ball more to create open looks, although I don't see him having the basketball iq to grasp where to be on the floor in such a system.

#98 subtomic, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  19. malakas

malakas Member

ofc Monroe is movable. He still has positive value and is basically expiring. He will get moved this offseason.

I dont' know how I feel about Dwight joining the Bucks in the offseason for more than 25 per. He will fit but if it's more than 25 it's too much. 25/4 is something I would be fine with though.