1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Dwight and CP3 hope to team up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lancerthompson, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lin brings in fans for a year, then he becomes a valuable expiring contract plus the taker gets a sweetener. Seems like a smart move for any team in transition mode. "Oh dear God, Lin's contract is sooooo huge." It's not favorable, but it is hardly out of this world.

2. ball4life66

ball4life66 Member

No, Hawks can keep Horford and still CP3 and Dwight WOULD NOT have to take LARGE paycuts to sign with the Hawks...Hawks have enough money for all 3 to be happy.

3. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

This is a pretty crap team though. 4 players on the roster at cap money? ehhh

I hope ATL uses this 'threat' because then LAC or LAL would love to send one of them to us to get something out of the deal :p SnT preserves most of our assets actually (just send out TRob + Asik + Lin). We would have a MUCH stronger bench than ATL would.

4. pwnyxpress

No? http://www.hoopsworld.com/atlanta-hawks-team-salary

Do the math. $18.6M in guaranteed money. Howard is $20.5M max. CP3 is $18.7M max. Add in the 7 roster charges to get to 12 player minimum means 7 x $490k = $3.4M. Total = ~$61.2M.

Last time I checked, $61.2M > $58.5M

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yes but Sham Sports and I both assume these are very easy to move, which they are. The key would be to move Lou Williams. Do that and they can actually keep one of those draft picks.

Howard
    Paul
    Horford
    Jenkins
    1st rounder
    2nd rounder
    6 minumum players

6. bberge

bberge Member

i don't see us landing all three.

We'd likely have to do one transaction as a SnT, and the SnT scenarios look bad. A SnT with the clippers makes more sense than a SnT with the lakers, but our SnT candidates aren't attractive to the clippers.

if the lakers are to lose dwight, i would imagine they would want to be as bad as possible next year with kobe out of commission and/or rusty. with lin/asik/whoever, they will scrape for an eighth seed at best, and to what end? to pay a crazy luxury tax bill, miss out on 2014 free agency (or have to deal lin and asik again to participate), AND miss their chance at the loaded 2014 draft?

That leaves a SnT with the Clippers for Paul. But Lin and Asik are the best candidates for such a deal from both a salary and a personnel perspective. Unfortunately, Asik is like DeAndre Jordan redux and Lin would block Bledsoe. Doesn't really make sense for the Clips. So i'm doubtful about our Big Three.

Of course, I don't know what kind of magic Morey can work. Maybe he can dump all our salary for future picks and unguaranteed contracts so we can sign both outright. Maybe he can engineer some crazy, multi-team SnT deal. But the more elaborate the scenario, the less likely it occurs.

7. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

Yes please in Houston...

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I didn't think they would be able to retain Josh Smith if they acquired Paul and Howard. I thought Horford would stay but not both he and Smith.

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I don't think the Lakers would take anyone in a sign and trade unless it was a star player. They would have to pay 60-80 million in luxury taxes for Asik and Lin just to stay relevant for one year. I just don't see it happening.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

To add to the above statement. I do see the Clippers taking Lin because Sterling doesn't care about winning. He just wants to sell tickets and Lin sells just as many tickets as Paul does.

11. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

utter nonsense.... Asik's contract is a definite asset and Lin is probably at about a break even level....

TRob for whatever we can get... late first, early second.... then sign D12 outright...

S&T Asik/Lin for CP3.... toss in TJones or DMo if needed for salary sake.... give up pick or cash to get Royce off the books....

Cp3/Bev/min
    Harden/min or pick
    Bang/min or pick
    GSmith/whoevers left of TJones or DMo
    D12/GSmith/DMo

not sayin I'm wild about the egos of D12 or CP3... but I guess you gotta take the shot...

12. pwnyxpress

This would not happen. First, they have to renounce Smith to even have a shot at signing EITHER of CP3 or Dwight, as Smith's large caphold is in place until they renounce him.

And yes, they can have Horford + CP3 + Howard, but only if CP3 and Howard both take $1.3M paycuts each, OR they move Lou Williams for free. But then that would leave them with a team of Horford, CP3, Howard, and Jenkins. That is it. At pretty much the salary cap. lulwut?!

That is a pretty good starting...3, but 3 players do not a whole team make.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I would absolutely freak out if we landed both of those guys.

14. Fighton

Fighton Member

it's NOT going to be the lakers - they have a chance to go into 2014 with a huge cap to go after lebron and other top FA's for that season. by signing lin and asik they're saddled with another 16mil for 2014. they'd probably want to be able to sign two max guys and add another all-star in 2014, and with asik and lin they're not going to be able to do that (unless asik and lin becomes that third all-star. not out of realm of possibility but far from a sure thing).

15. Gay4Battier

Gay4Battier Member

funny thing is they would be teammates already if ti wasn't for stern ( lakers)

i think they will end up with the hawks

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Sounds like Chris is not willing to leave L.A and this is more of a desperate thing to get Dwight to join the Clippers. Which won't happen because the Lakers are NOT going to send Dwight to the Clippers. No way.

17. pwnyxpress

Well technically, they can keep Lin and Asik and still sign 2 stars, including Lebron. If Kobe agrees to come back to LAL for a yr on the vet min, omg, sick team. Kobe wouldn't do that favor for anyone else but LAL.

Lin, Kobe (vet min), Lebron, $$$ for PF star (or even Pau on vet min), Asik. Still have money left over for a bench and then use Room MLE and vet mins to round out the roster. Would have a LOT of money left over if Pau and Kobe both agree to take pretty low amounts. Vet mins sound unrealistic, but very cheap amounts? Maybe...

This sorta has me assuming Nash retires before the final yr of his contract haha.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yeah, it's crap. But, that didn't stop the Miami Heat from becoming a great team. And, I'm just demonstrating how the pay cuts for Howard and Paul is a fiction. Moving Williams and a draft pick is easy.

As for Houston, sure there's a market for Asik. And there's probably interest in the other 3. But, that's a lot of salary ultimately (something like $20m vs $6.5m out of Atlanta) that you're trying to pour into the cap space of other teams, many of whom are pursuing the same guys you are. How many teams that are able to accept your salary dump can and are willing to take that much salary and are willing to facilitate Houston taking the 2 best guys on the board and creating a super team? And, maybe they'd prefer Smith and Williams as a consolation prize to Asik and Lin.

I think Houston is the better destination. But, it can only realistically work in an S&T with one of the LA teams. If the LA teams won't deal, those 2 will end up in Atlanta.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

Griffin + Bledsoe = Howard?

Griffin, he's one of the faces of the league. Bledsoe, he's been touted as a possible franchise player.

20. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

There is no 2014 free agency without Howard, all that's expected is the Miami trio (as Carmelo is expected not to opt out and keep his 10% old cba raises going)