1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Dwight and CP3 hope to team up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lancerthompson, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

I only have room for one Asian in my heart

2. autoprt

autoprt Member

agreed same here. a team like orlando would be good for him, no pressure like in the knicks situation when all the stars were hurt.

3. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Dude, no one asked you to take Lin into your heart.

4. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Why not facilitate Howard to LAC by taking Griffin off their hands to clear up cap space? We would have the space to take on his contract, and just enough change left over to fill out the roster.

Lin/Beverly
    Harden/Garcia
    Parsons/??
    Griffin/TJones
    Asik/G Smith

5. basketballholic

Real simple. Because the Clippers have to move Deandre with Griffin to have the ability to sign Dwight outright. Now we could still facilitate such a trade but would you want to?

6. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Why would the Lakers do it? They give up Dwight and don't even get back the next best player in the deal? I guess they could if they don't want to give up cap space.

And yes we should want to. Griffin fits the system perfectly.

Lin
    Harden
    Parsons
    Griffin
    Asik
    Beverley
    Garcia
    Jones
    Smith

7. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

S&T Dwight to LAC? Are the Clippers even under the cap?

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It's actually not that bad of an idea. Get a third team involved then, sure some team could use Jordan. It's not such a bad back up plan...

Not sure Harden/Blake would amount to being instant contenders but hey...potential and all.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lakers have no choice in this case because the Clippers can then sign Dwight outright.

10. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

I don't see anyone is willing to take on DAJordan. His contract is even more difficult to move than Lin, unless they throw in some future picks to sweeten the deal. His coach will have to bench him down the stretch to prevent Hack-a-Jodan tactics. Just a huge liability on offense and not a great defender either.

Without question, Blake is better than JSmoove and Millsap. He is younger and great offseason work ethic to improve his game. Upgrading TJone to Blake will provide us with more wins than Asik to Dwight.

11. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

12. betterhomesbytj

now that i think about it.......i wouldnt mind Griffin as plan B....IT SURE would be exciting!

13. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Not exactly. Only 1 team can sign em both and it's in Atlanta. Good luck with that. I don't think they would insist on playing together. If some team can somehow pull it off, we are one of those teams since we are under the cap and we have James Harden.

14. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Other teams don't even posses the cap space to sign one of the two, let alone signig both of them. If it would be tough for us to make room for both Dwight and CP3, then imagine how tougher it would for those teams who don't even have cap space at all.

15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Blake Griffin isn't really very good, he gets all nba selections from being in the ny/la media markets.

When I read "he's better than JSmoove", i was left thinking at what? dunking?

They're both boneheads (they say he has tremendous basketball iq, but he can't run a pick and roll with CP3 (translate : they are idiots)), Smith is a better shooter, but neither are any good at it, Smith is actually better at finishing near the rim, Smith is a better defender, better handles, better passer, what's actually left? having a team where he's not relied on to create anything (which they are both bad at as well), and oh yeah dunking.

He hasn't gotten any better in three years in the nba, so whatever tremendous offseason work ethic people are talking about produces nothing.

All flash, no substance, that's Blake Griffin, disappointing really, however he'll sell out Staples for the Clippers for a decade, and that's why Sterling won't choose CP3 over Blake.

16. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

I made a huge mistake when doing the numbers. I forgot the space needed to resign Dwight. The lakers can only get Dwight and cp3 if they get rid of everyone and amnesty Kobe. So it's impossible

17. Aleron

I'm tempted to do a rather long comment on game theory, complete with Doc Rocket style metaphors to explain why what was announced was actually really good for us.

1 person likes this.
  18. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

$ for $ Blake Griffin would be better in our system. I admit he is overpriced in terms of on court production, but in our system we don't have to worry about him playing outside the offense by chucking ill advised 3's like JSmoove. But he does sell seats to compensate.

Where he does benefit us is he is a super star that doesn't command a max contract, but good enough to attract super stars. Griffin improves our team this year, and Morey would still have Lin and Asik's contracts expiring in 2014 for sign and trade bait to land a 3rd Super Star from the 2014 free agent class. Or.... Just let the core of Lin, Harden, Parsons, Griffin, and Asik grow. That core would have about a 5 year window. Clear money next year to resign Chandler and I'd be content with that.

19. Aleron

Griffin's on a supermax (30%), at a cap of 58.5m, that puts his salary at about $16.5m, he's being paid for his popularity, not his production.

20. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I'm not a huge Blake Griffin fan either, so I don't disagree at all that he's overrated by many, but he is a better passer than Josh Smith, which isn't a knock at all against Smith -- he's a good passer himself and might a little better vision than Griffin -- but Griffin is just more sound and doesn't throw nearly as many high risk passes that just aren't worth the risk, nor as many off-target knuckleball passes at players legs/feet. Griffin is one of the best passing bigs in the league.

#440 HMMMHMM, Jun 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2013