1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: CP feels betrayed by Morey and Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Eddie Cecco, Jul 13, 2019.

1. MD_in_Training

2. bmelo

bmelo Member

Cp could get max anywhere so stop. He agreed to come here under some circumstances after being receuited by James who then did him dirty. I hope RW alpha genes will put James in check cause he seems like one selfish dude. It seems like Ariza was mediator in this locker

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  3. MD_in_Training

Show me evidence that CP could have gotten max anywhere.

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  4. riko

riko Member

Stop making things up and reflecting you’re own feelings into baseless accusations

Stormy1234 likes this.
  5. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

CP3 couldn't even get that deal with the Clippers.

https://www.clipsnation.com/2017/6/...itted-to-offering-chris-paul-max-deal-rockets

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/06/2...d-to-offer-chris-paul-five-year-max-contract/

MD_in_Training likes this.
  6. HP3

HP3 Member

Maybe not anywhere and not a 4 year deal but there were definetly teams out there willing to give him a max, dont kid yourself.

7. MD_in_Training

Uh... ok, so not everywhere, not max and not 4 years. Many of us wouldn’t be as frustrated if he took a shorter non-max deal. The entire point is that we gave him a $160 mil for 4 years - a deal no one else was going to offer.

The claim that teams were tripping over themselves trying to offer an old short PG max money and he chose Houston because of various promises we made is just straight up unfounded.

8. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

How did we do him dirty? By taking a better offer when it was presented...and trading him back to the place he started, and loved?

9. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Huh? Didn't realize Harden was GM now...when did that happen? And does Morey know he's out?

Stormy1234 and vlaurelio like this.
  10. HP3

HP3 Member

Am I missing something here or can a 3 year deal not be a max? There was no guarantee the Clippers werent going to give him the max, the reports siad that the Clippers were "hesitant" to do so, a big internal debate. Yea he got $160 mil AFTER he took a risk by opting in, and we dont know for sure if the Clippers weren't going to give it to him. LOL and who would take a lower deal, STOP. No one here would do so, not to mention, CP is an athelte, who has confidence in his abilities, you think he took this deal while thinking "yea imma steal this money and then decline haha" ridiculous.

And this notion that he should grovel and be grateful to Houston for giving him a max after we just had one of the greatest Rockets season in history is unfounded too. Enough of this, him getting max money changed nothing for us this year and nothing for us last year in terms of getting someone on the roster. If anything it was gonna be for the next two years where it hurt us. LOL but oh yea we are THE FA destination so lets see how that goes.

Did he perform to his contract, no. Was Harden undoubdetly better in the POs this year, yea. If its Harden or him, Harden always. But DAMN man....yall are just...idk whatever, im gonna move on from this.

Kim and clutchdabear like this.
  11. MD_in_Training

I'm not a capologist, but my understanding of "max contract" is that it is not only dollars per year, but total number of years. If not, then I concede the terminology, but not the concept. My point is that had Chris taken EITHER a smaller dollar amount per year OR fewer years, then most of us wouldn't feel the same way about his contract. Whether any of us would have taken the money is not the point - just because we would take the money doesn't mean we can't be angry about not getting equivalent value for said money.

I agree that there was no guarantee that Clippers weren't going to give him the max. My contention was to posters here claiming that as a fact. However, looking at how Jerry West took over the reigns in 2017 right before the trade, I think there is an argument to be made that he was looking to rebuild the team, which was the absolute correct move.

I disagree that him getting max changed nothing for us. Him getting max turned his contract into a complete albatross that no one was going to touch without us giving up significant assets. It required attaching multiple first round picks to get rid of.

#351 MD_in_Training, Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  12. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I'm not saying it did happen, but it is possible that they didn't have plans to trade him until after the meeting. I can see Morey thick skinned enough to let comments roll off as just emotional talk, but some of these upper echelon folks are pretty thin skinned. Paul might have spoken his mind (he's not afraid to) to the point that when he left the room caused Tilman to say "I don't care at what cost, but get him out of here".

And I do think it was Harden and MDA that got Melo out after just a few games.

13. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

It's pretty well known that Morey isn't a Westbrook guy, and that he did this because Harden and Tilman forced it

14. koby1868

koby1868 Member

I call BS on all of this.

15. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

Then, the rockets didn’t give a max contract to Paul. They didn’t offer the maximum number of years, the maximum was 5 years and only offered 4.

clutchdabear likes this.
  16. MD_in_Training

My understanding is we couldn't offer 5. 5 was the supermax that only Clippers can offer.

17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Well tilman too its not like harden put a gun to his head.

So if you were tilman youll tell harden no trade and keep cp3 for 3 more years right?

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

They offered him 4. He was entitled to 5. It’s still a max deal.

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Morey lied. He won't tell you if you are on the table because he doesn't want you to stop playing well.

Don't expect him to tell you. Lesson learned.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  20. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

I wish people would quit saying this nonsense. It is impossible to buy someone out of 3 years $124 mil. Plus CP3 is president of PA. It is not happening.