1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources close to Ramon Sessions: Ramon Sessions had discussions with Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 26, 2014.

1. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

2. Amir's Johnson

I knew this would happen. Not a bad player when it comes to drawing freethrows.

3. AXG

AXG Member

Sessions is much better than Smith. Heck, I would prefer Sessions starting with Beverley off the bench.

4. basketballholic

Because he can't shoot a jump shot. He'd be making $8 million per season if he could shoot.

5. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

He would be great off he bench for us. He IS Jeremy Lin without the turnovers. High assist guy. But the no jumpshot thing will remain

6. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

HUH? Like half those picks are Eldridge Racasner?

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Have always liked the way he plays.

DD

8. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I was at Myrtle Beach High School two weeks ago for my daughter's dance competition. During the breaks I would wander down to the gym where there was a boys AAU basketball tournament going on. I was wondering to myself, "Did MBHS ever turn out any good basketball players?" Now I know the answer.

9. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

This is why this forum is becoming a joke. Clearly the wrong people have thread privileges. After reading that first line one should have just left that page.

10. WFU Guy

WFU Guy Member

He's got a high basketball IQ, plays a great attacking style, is a very good ft shooter and gets to the line a ton. He normally makes good decisions with and without the ball but he can trend to be a ball stopper at times and has a very unreliable outside shot and no real range. I'd see him as an upgrade over Lin in many ways but deficit as a three point threat. He can play very good defense but doesn't always play it 100% of the time.

I don't get what he does for the team as a pure PG if Morey plans to carry Bev, Smith, Canaan. Perhaps he's being brought in as a reserve SG, he might be a better fit as a two way guy in that role.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't get why people think the presence of Smith, Canaan and Johnson means there is no point in signing Sessions or that Morey has to trade a PG to make room for Sessions or whatever.

Just watch Morey's history: Having a few extra minimum wage guys on the roster or at a particular position doesn't mean much to Morey because he basically treats the last spots on the roster as opportunities to try players out and see if they work out. This is especially true in the offseason, when NBA teams are allowed to carry up to 20 players on the roster.

It was just last summer when Morey pretty much used up all 20 allowed roster spots by signing minimum wage guys to contracts with varying amount of guaranteed money while knowing that he'd most likely have to cut someone before the start of the regular season and just eat the dead salary-- Casspi, Camby, Reggie Williams, B.J. Young, Aaron Brooks, Ronnie Brewer were all signed under this condition. He ended up cutting Camby (fully guaranteed), Williams (50% guaranteed) and Young ($50K guaranteed) before the start of the regular season and paid them essentially for being with the team during training camp and preseason.

The fact is that we don't know what Canaan and Johnson are capable of vs. NBA competition. Ish Smith also hasn't proven a whole lot and is cheap enough to just cut if he doesn't work out and we need that roster spot for someone more useful or important. Their presence on the team means nothing as to the team adding another PG. Bring them in, let them fight it out for roster and rotation spots and go from there. If you need to cut a guy and eat the salary, so be it.

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

do not want. low Fg and 3pt %'s.

i get it, he gets to the line and is a good passer and a vet ball handler.

still, would rather let canaan learn on the job.

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I don't think Nick is good at playing point. Better to use him at his strengths as a scoring guard

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Canaan plays more like a 2 right now. He is a better shooter than Sessions, that's the only advantage he has over him.

15. Rajjettheking

Rajjettheking Member

Don't need another PG.

16. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

I'll take him.

1 person likes this.
  17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I may need sessions with a psychiatrist.

I won't say, "All joking aside," because I probably will need a shrink by the time this off-season is over, but if Morey signs Marion and Sessions, he might end up calling it a day, at least for a while. It feels like something he might do. Call it a totally uninformed hunch due to lack of coffee.

#37 Deckard, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What's Canaan's FG% and 3 pt% in the NBA last season?

Canaan will get to learn on the job when he earns the opportunity-- the same way young Aaron Brooks, Carl Landry, Chandler Parsons, Patrick Patterson and Marcus Morris did.

It's one thing for a lotto team to hand minutes to a top lotto pick in order to develop him for the future. It's quite another for a team that aspires to compete in the playoffs to hand minutes to a 2nd round rookie. Not to say that you don't play them, but it's up to the player to beat out guys for minutes.

#38 Carl Herrera, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  19. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I would've far preferred Sessions to Ish. Was wondering why we hadn't heard anything about him.

20. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

LMAO really? Did you read the full sentence?

32 NBA teams in need of a point guard