1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Carmelo open to multiyear deal with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Coogie3, Aug 18, 2010.

1. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

No one is saying we should trade Brooks for Billups. Billups is a throw-in in the Carmelo Anthony trade.

2. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

What trade?..lol

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yep, because reigning NBA All-Stars are typically included as throw-ins in trades.

:rolleyes:

4. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

From what I gather reading information on other sites, Billups will be in Denver next season. They like what he is doing in being a great teammate, outstanding citizen, and mentor to Lawson.

If he is traded, it's per his request, and he has yet to make any remarks about wanting out.

Can we move back to the subject at hand? Melo..

Please

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Billups is not going anywhere, he is the hometown hero and most beloved sports figure currently in Denver. He is starting to struggle with his age, he was very inconsistent last season, but he will definitely retire a Nugget.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I too have seen recent reports of Billups not going anywhere. I am willing to bet that if Melo leaves, that will change.

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Not necessarily. If Billups's production simply falls off a cliff next season, his contract suddenly becomes a very attractive cap relief asset.

His 2011-12 salary of $14.2M is only guaranteed for $3.7M if Billups is waived shortly after next season. If Chauncey is a shell of his former self (not very likely but at least possible), there are some teams that might be interested in his contract as a way to shed $10.5M+ in salary at the end of the season.

8. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I think it's fair to say Billups current BB IQ > Brooks current BB IQ. I would be very suprised if this changed in the next 2 seasons.

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

It happened over and over this past season. It's one thing to not kick out to Ariza but not passing to a wide-open Martin was frustrating to watch.

10. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

Don't tell that to DD, he's right on everything :)

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Pffft, not even close.....lol.

DD

12. EjrRocket11

EjrRocket11 Member

Thank you! Which is why if we do end up getting Melo and have to part with either brooks or Martin, I hope it's not Martin! Kyle is ready to step in, distribute and play some defense :grin:

13. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

st
    There is an easy explanation to this question-
    Brooks is not a Point Guard!!
    Brooks is a short Shooting Guard playing the Point Guard position.
    Accepting and considering this I think Brooks as our Point Guard performed very well. Even though I would have preferred a traditional pass first Point Guard. Considering Yao Ming was out the team did quite well with Brooks:p

14. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Billups is a better fit with our starting unit next season than Aaron.

He hits the 3 just as well as Brooks.

He handles the ball just as well as Brooks.

He's a better defender than Brooks.

He's a better passer than Brooks.

He's a better decision maker than Brooks. He can actually get the ball to our other potent offensive weapons in spots where they can do something with the ball instead of not being able to see over the defender and having to take the shot himself.

He's more clutch than Brooks (especially at the free throw line). He's won a championship as the Finals MVP and has been through many playoff battles. This is not insignificant if we are to be in the 4th quarter of the NBA Finals, a situation where Billups can lead our team and one where Brooks has never been in.

There's really nothing Brooks does better than Billups right now. The only concern is a gradual decline in Billups due to old age. But I'm only talking about next season.

Brooks will demand a huge pay increase next season or else we will lose him to another team. Billups will be paid 13 mil next season. Brooks could command around 9 million / 4 years (or whatever the CBA will allow him to sign for). So overall the contract obligation, considering the looming lockout, Billups's contract isn't much worse than the obligation we will owe to Brooks if we keep him for our future financial situation.

I would rather have Billups for next season than Brooks since we're going all in to win a championship with Yao anyway next season. If we keep Brooks, then we're not going to have serious championship aspirations (I mean serious, like the Heat and Lakers level, not assume everything breaks our way homer level) for the next several seasons.

15. Untraceable

Untraceable Member

Man, I must co-sign......After watching Rafer Alston shoot 50% from the field, and lead the NBA in assist over the past years, I guess fans want perfection...

Billups is good, but people want to trade brooks for an aging billups?....Brooks is getting the rafer alston treatment on this board.....In about 2 years, brooks is gonna be the truth in the NBA......

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

What is funny is that Chauncey is a shoot first type of PG too....lots of people that have been moaning about Brooks not being a PG and loving on Billups are being extremely hypocritical.

DD

17. Merla08

Merla08 Member

Are people seriously still posting on this thread? Come on guys... give this a rest until it actually happens or more reports come out.

18. daDreamShake

daDreamShake Member

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Stopped reading a long time ago due to this:

[​IMG]

Almost 100 more posts than the next highest poster. :rolleyes:

20. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

Billups' thoughts on staying on with the Nuggets

"The key to keeping Billups would likely be Carmelo Anthony's decision to stay in Denver or depart for another team. Without Anthony, it's likely the team would begin to rebuild. Given Billups' comments, that's presumably a process he isn't interested in participating in at this late stage of his career." - Yahoo Sports

Information on his remaining contract too in the link for those interested.