1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Carmelo open to multiyear deal with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Coogie3, Aug 18, 2010.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Seperate company, I looked into doing that one for fun, but there was not enough $$$ in it.

DD

2. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

Yes, 2 years. 1 year guaranteed but with a team option on his final year. If i remember right, his final year is only guaranteed around 3M if he's let go soon after the the incoming season.

Wouldn't be too bad for what effectively would be a 1 year rental, at worst, for an expensive player if it meant bagging Melo. Gotta admit, for a 1 year expensive rental, we could do much worse than getting a playoff vet like Billups.

3. dartherus

dartherus Member

Amen IceHouse...I don't know how fans can forget BROOKS SEVERE LACK OF BASKETBALL IQ....

Did this guys forget the images of him ignoring wide open teammates OVER AND OVER? What kind of courtvision does a PG doing this have?

And they say nothing about AB SEVERE LACK OF D....the severe lack of size....come on....stats is not everything.....and even then Billups stats ON A BETTER TEAM last year were better than Brooks....

BTW, with Yao's situation, Houston needs players WITH THE BEST PRESENT...not potential (AB has potential for big scoring, but his BB IQ won;t go higher)

4. DaDakota

Supporting Member

A statement does not make it so, he has fine BBall IQ.

What? You mean intelligently avoiding passing the ball to players who have no concept of their strengths and weaknesses (Ariza, cough, cough), and setting up someone a lot more efficient.

That is the definition of BBALL IQ !

Gosh, do you think maybe if Brooks got to play with Melo instead of Shane and Trevor and Hayes that he might have better stats too?

Again, you are wrong, he has good Bball IQ, and Yao needs space to operate on the low block because he is so slow making his moves. Brooks can hit the 3ball.

I know you are a Lowryian, I like him too, but so far, he is a career backup....and will be backing up the better player Brooks this year too.

As for Melo, again, it depends upon what you give up.....

DD

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If we can get Billups and Melo
    for
    Brooks OR Martin [Hell I might be willing to go BROOKS AND MARTIN]

Then I would be good with that

I would be looking to try to get Finals Tickets

yes. . I think Chauncy has another 2 yrs in him

Rocket River

6. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

Gotten Melo yet?

7. dartherus

dartherus Member

Ignoring a wide open YAO (in former seasons) or a wide open Scola, Landry or Martin more recently....that's having VERY LOW BB IQ in my book.....

And Brooks does it OVER AND OVER (is not something that just happened once), preferring to penetrate or a forced shoot when the shooting clock is about to arrive to zero....

If you don't believe me ASK A COACH if this is false....

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Sounds like a bias, cause Ive never seen any of that.

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

It is bias, and also false.

Brooks job is to run the team and make the decisions, and sometimes that means he is not going to pass the ball but rather shoot it himself.

If Rick Adelman had an issue with it, he would not be starting.

This seems like it is just folks that are worried that their favorite player will not get the ball as much.

DD

11. dartherus

dartherus Member

Bias? no matter how many posters (cloens or not) say the same, you can't forget games of AB ignoring wide open teammates...I mean, even many guys in this boards were b****inbg about it....

How can such games be forgotten so soon? I'll have to make a detailed search as ssoon as I have time, and see if I can find vdieos on youtube (difficult, cause generally videos are made of succesful plays, not of blunders).....but JUST REMEMBER how pissed people got with AB in this very same forum....

12. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Brooks' job, as a point guard, is to run the offense and make other players around him better. That job does not include refusing to pass to players who are wide open. As you said, if Adelman had a problem with Ariza's play or shooting, he would not have been starting.

I think Brooks is a decent point guard. He's not perfect, not ideal, but he won't cost you too many games. His defense is below-average and it will be a career struggle for him just to be average -- his height is a big factor working against him in this. I believe his stats this year were a little inflated since he was essentially the primary option on a bad team -- with Yao back and Martin taking a bigger role, this should reduce Brooks' PPG in this offense. The little man was jacking around six 3s a game this past year! :eek:

I think we probably have an overinflated sense of Brooks' worth -- he's a fine scoring PG, but lacks the defense and court vision to ever vault him into a top 10 PG discussion. Looking at how others view/value him (Ball Dont Lie rankings), I doubt Brooks alone would get us close to acquiring any potential star. What we have is a good role player that was a great value pick -- but not an all-star or potential stud.

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The only thing I can remember is the YOF who want the ball in his hands at all times no matter what the defensive circumstances are.

What you perceive as "wide open" isn't always as open as it appears.

Again, it sounds like some sort of bias.

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I think it is fair to say that Aaron Brooks is "a work in progress" with respect to Basketball IQ.

Is he a "High BBall IQ" guy like a Shane Battier? No.

Is he a "Low BBall IQ" guy like a JR Smith? No.

Brooks has a decent Basketball IQ and certainly needs to improve in that area if he is going to be a starting PG on a championship-caliber team. But I think it is unfair to say that a guy who has only had one full season as a starting PG, and that season was without the team's best player (Yao) and only had 24 games with its second best player (Martin), is merely a "Low Bball IQ" kind of player.

Let's see how Brooks does this coming year with (hopefully) a full complement of players. If he continues to make the same mistakes all year, showing no signs of improvement in cutting down errors, then perhaps we will know more about him in this area. But the same can be said if Aaron continues to improve his game, which is what he has done in each of his first three seasons.

2 people like this.
  15. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I don't think everyone means JR Smith when they say "low BBall IQ".

There's quite a bit of difference between JR and Shane.

16. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

It didn't happen all the time but it did enough for me to notice. I too remember seeing Brooks a few times miss a wide open Landry last season in the post and being unable to make a post entry pass. Scola too. Brooks is just not really comfortable with it and waffles at deciding to do it. I think his size is the culprit. Just because you don't remember doesn't mean it didn't happen at all and it's biased.

17. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Wait, what? A PG missed an open player on the floor? HOLD THE PRESSES !!!

I mean, no PG in history EVER misses a wide open player.

LOL.

Some of you people are so focused on a few mistakes that you are missing out on a very good improving player.

So, much improvement that the organization traded away the starting PG to let him play and, he won the MIP award for the entire NBA.

DD

18. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

DD,

They still think Chauncey is the same PG from 2004? I laugh at the suggestions to get rid of the 2010 NBA MIP for Billups. They do realize the AB does have the potential to get better at defense and leading the team.

19. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

How has billups game changed since 04?

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

His ability to "be old" has greatly increased.