1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Carmelo open to multiyear deal with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Coogie3, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I agree, but remember everyone thought Bron, Wade and Bosh would only be satisfied with the full max as well. Everyone is just speculating that Melo won't take less, just like they did with those 3 this summer. Nothing would suprise me now.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

True, but you got to think the uncertainty of the new CBA is a much bigger issue than Bron & Co. just deciding whether or not they'd take a little less to all play together. Do I think players will still get a ton of money? Yes, but it could be meaningfully less depending on how the new CBA works.

If it was less of a concern, then Melo wouldn't be so open to other teams. He'd be focused squarely on the Knicks, and maybe the Nets, and would be content to play out his contract and either sign as a FA or through sign and trade with Denver taking back some future draft picks and a young player or whatever...he wouldn't care as much, because he would at least have a low end number for the minimum of what he'll get.

He doesn't have that though, in reality, because of the CBA expiring.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The difference is that Bron, Wade and Bosh at least had certainty on their side. When they decided to take less and join forces in the summer, they knew that, worst come to worst, they end up getting 5 years rather than 6, and they end at a tiny bit less than the max.

Carmelo doesn't know what the CBA will look like next season and how much he'll be giving up.

4. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

This has the eery Chris Bosh feeling in this deal. We should stay away from it as Rockets fans. Carmello is like Bosh and like Bosh more than likely trying to use the Rockets for his ultimate goal. The Knicks. This is exactly the same feeling. We offer the best package. Nobody can match and everyone backs away and off like they are flustered and then say they arent really serious after being serious according to them just a few days ago. Just not when the Rockets team is in the lead discussion. So we are leverage now I think. Might as well forget about Carmello. If he is coming here. I want Morey to have him signed already. Not a promise for him to sign. I want him signed long term already if we trade anything for him. No Brooks and Martin in any deal. Same Bosh deal here going on. Time to move along and talk about Lee and how awesome our deep lineup is without these superstar primadonnas who wont be winning a Championship on the Knicks ever.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I thought that Toronto and Cleveland caved and did sign and trades

Rocket River

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It was a combination of both. Bron and Bosh didn't get the full max, but also didn't get as little as they would have if they just outright signed. Sot hey were S&T's, but not for the full max (left the Heat room to sign Mike Miller). In return, the Raptors and Cavs basically got some draft picks out of it - future picks to be sure, and from a team that should arguably not be having any decent picks any time soon, but they at least got the picks. I think they got TE's, too.

Obviously, Denver would at least want to take this route as well if the saga played out till next offseason, but would prefer to actually get some "real" value in return. While at the same time, Melo has no idea what the new CBA will say, so is incentivized to sign the extension.

7. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

I feel sorry for the people who dont want carmelo on the rockets. do you guys even wqatch basketball? or do you just skim through it?

8. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

They want angels on their team and not some "thug" like Melo.

9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

they did but when both players made it clear that they would go and take slightly less money at that point both cleveland and toronto had no choice getting back something was better than nothing.

that was riley's biggest gem in all of this being able to have 3 of the biggest stars in their prime agree to take less and force it to happen.

Melo's situation is a bit different in that he isnt a free agent so the team has some leverage but only if he signs an extension otherwise no team will really want to trade for him for just a year or 1/2 year. similar to the McGrady situation when he was traded here there was 1-3 teams he said he would sign an extension with and Houston was one of them

10. Marteen

Marteen Member

It seems Houston has been in the news alot this week.

NFL, NBA, and MLB. You got Carmelo considering the Rockets, Cushing's suspension is still holding up, Clemens indicted. People are talking about Houston Sports, even if it's bad at least people are talking about the great city of Houston! :grin:

11. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi...ve_assets_to_trade_for_carmelo/#ixzz0x5rt4fsH

You can cross off New York.

12. DontTradeOswalt

[​IMG]

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

They did, and all teams do....

And both Bosh and Melo netted MORE money because there is no state income tax in Florida.

Melo is in a situation like Tmac, he gets to dictate where he will go.

DD

14. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Yeah but Orlando got back Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley which had way more to do with them trading with us instead of others.

15. DaDakota

Supporting Member

True, but Tmac was settled on us...and Carrol Dawson is not Daryl Morey.

DD

16. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

You meant Bosh and LeBron. Bosh especially since Canada has super high taxes

17. Nguyen24

Nguyen24 Member

Who/what are we willing to give up for him? Bud, if needed?

18. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

That is the "better-than-nothing" offer I suspected NY was offering. If the reality is that Melo is set on NY and only NY, that is the kind of offer to expect. And they are wanting to swap Chandler for Gallinari...LOL. If they did the swap, then it's Melo for some worthless, conditional 2014+ pick and a backup SF in Chandler.

Now do you see why someone (cough)Denver(cough) might say the there are other teams Melo would go to and therefore try and get them to bump their offer? That may cause NY to kick in Randolph with Gallinari which would a much better offer. Still not a fair trade but I don't think the Nuggets can expect that. And I'm sure the Rockets or NJ could offer more but if the reality is Melo will only go to NY, leaking false information like that and then telling the Rockets or NJ in the end, "Sorry. Going with the Knicks offer" when that is all they could do, nets Denver a better deal than what the are offering now.

19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Who is the source? I mean it is not Melo, he isn't saying crap.....I think it is the Nuggets floating this out there.

DD

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

That's stupid. All teams like the Rockets have to do is call Carmelo's agent and find out if it wasn't true.