1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Carmelo open to multiyear deal with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Coogie3, Aug 18, 2010.

1. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Denver would rather trade him to the East than send him to Houston.

2. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

Right before the season starts...which is Oct.25?

3. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Hmm...I guess that means that Denver would have to trade him somewhere between now and October unless they want to settle for less.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Nope.. that deadline only applies toi extension of rookie contracts.

Melo can sign his extension any time before July 1, 2011. Obviously he probaby prefers to have things settled one way or another early (there's always risk of injury) and Denver probably has reasons to do so, too (though not enough to cause them to take a crappy deal), but the rules do allow time for things to play out.

5. Rockets87

Rockets87 Member

I thought he had till next July to sign it.

6. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Nuggets should find a GM first and foremost.

7. worzel gummidge

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q52

8. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Thanks for the info guys. :)

Looks like this will drag out till the deadline then.

9. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Just like how they locked LeBron James and even Chris Bosh. :rolleyes:

Knicks always seem to lock down everyone these days.

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yea I guess it would be a good idea for Denver to actually hire a GM before negotiations start.

11. worzel gummidge

GM is just a title. The decision makers, Bearup and Josh Kroenke are there.

12. kevolution

kevolution Member

Melo is a stud. We better get him!

13. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Huh.

Ridiculous.
    Trevor Aria and Rafer Alston were "highly inefficient." Carmelo Anthony would not be the focal point of the Nuggets attack if he were.
    #3 in the NBA in scoring per game
    #3 in the NBA in scoring per minute
    1.29 points per shot is just fine
    (Kobe: 1.26, Wade 1.36, Joe Johnson 1.17)
    (Brooks: 1.21, Martin 1.44, Ariza 1.07, Scola 1.22)
    (LeBron and Durant were sick - 1.5 each, which again is SICK)
    (Alston was a horrifying 1.08, McGrady a career 1.19)
    And keep in mind that maintaining efficiency becomes a lot harder when you are the focus of the opposing team's defense. Calling Melo "highly inefficient" or a volume shooter is absurd.

At the small forward spot? Who is he taking minutes from? Jeffries and his 5 ppg (1.04 pps)? Battier and his 8 ppg (1.19 pps)? Chase and his 9 ppg (1.17 pps)? None of these guys do more per shot taken than Melo, even in the absence of double teams (mostly in the absence of any defender).

Speculation, and possibly a false perception. JR Smith has seen his shots and scoring rise consistently in his 4 years as a Anthony teammate in Denver: 10 ppg before Denver, 13 ppg his first year, and over 15 ppg last year.
    Billups also has taken more shots and increased his scoring playing alongside Anthony, versus his years in Detroit - last year was a career high for him.
    Will Brooks see his numbers go down? Probably - but that's not such a terrible thing if it makes him more efficient. Anthony will also open up opportunities for others - he knows how to kick out of a double team, and no one last year could even command one.

They've gone a whole lot farther than we have, though. Putting Anthony next to Kevin Martin would make our swing positions nearly impossible to guard.

Okay, super.

Or somehow keeping Martin and Yao while bringing in Anthony.

Who are you going to bring in? MLE guys aren't going to make the difference. He's a franchise guy, something we need with Yao in his twilight years. You either draft one or get very lucky in the trade market.

1 person likes this.
  14. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

I agree it is a steep price to pay. Unfortunately, whether or not he deserves to be a max guy, he will be paid like one.

15. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Carmelo Anthony is not coming to Houston. Stop wasting everyone's valuable time.

This thread should not be stickied. Un-sticky it.

Speculating speculation. On my death bed I will want every hour I spent on that back.

16. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I would think, a later trade would benefit the rockets more because Yao could demonstrate he can still play the ball at a high level by that time. With a health Yao, good role players, we are a good team. We could have a chance to get him by giving up our young players, picks and cash. Carmelo>Bosh, the rockets could win the west with Carmelo.

17. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Mannix is legit and he confirmed this himself. I don't see how its speculation.

18. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Everyone who is assuming that Knicks are the front runners in landing Carmelo, I just don't see it assuming Melo gets traded this season. They have no one outside of Gallinari and Randolph that is actually an asset. They have Curry's expiring contract but we also have Jeffries' expiring contract. They also don't currently own any draft picks and have no trade exceptions.

If I were Melo, would I really want to go to a depleted roster in New York? Also given the fact that their front office sucks, I can't see them build a future contender even with Melo and Amare.

We've got way more assets to offer Nuggets and Melo has made it known that he would re-sign with us. That's a double whammy if I ever saw one.

Besides, the CBS rumors that Isaiah has told Dolan that Melo will sign with New York is just some speculative BS.

19. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Dude go pull up kobes stats and melos stats...FG is lmost the same...points are almost the same...

Your precentages arent going to be that great when the entirety of the offensive load is on you....you have to take bad shots....how many times have you seen kobe go for a must have basket with two defenders on him and being off balanced...thats why his fg% is low...the D is all over him.

Melo is better scorer than even kobe...hes has a more effective all around game..despite kobe being a better long ranger shooter...

All this talk of not effcient not true superstar...is ridiculous and makes me think you people never actually watch basketball just read about it.

20. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

I agree. But, this thread is for debate on the subject. No disrespect... If its 'wasting' your time, dont read it.