1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Carmelo open to multiyear deal with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Coogie3, Aug 18, 2010.

1. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

A) HIGHLY INIFFECIENT is a stretch. Many star players look less efficient b/c they take the most shots.
    B) Who cares ifs hes one dimensional or three dimensional. The dude doesnt need to be a passer on this team. We need a damn go to scorer at the end of games. Thats how you win championships people! I.E. Jordan, Kobe, Hakeem, Duncan (all go to guys at the end of games)
    C) This has got to be a joke. Melo is a better three, by far, than anyone on our team. I hope he takes minutes away from them, thats why we would acquire him, to score and produce.
    D) I can see your point on this. Although I think he will surprise many on this subject. He will draw double teams and dish back to Yao/Scola or AB/Martin for a wide open jump shot. If he doesnt draw a double team, he'll score rather effectively on single coverage. Simple as that.

2. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

:eek: ESPN has an insider article stating....NY doesn't have enough to get Melo!!! ESPN has finally gotten off the Knick love wagon!

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

There are very few players without warts of some sort. Bosh, for example, is too skinny but the Rockets went after him anyway. With Carmelo, though... he just seems like a strange fit both for the way Adelman said he wants to play and the way the front office seems to evaluate players. Perhaps they see his lack of efficiency as a possibly fixable shot-selection issue or are willing to take the bad with the substantial amount of good that he would bring. It's not like Carmelo's scoring efficiency is McGrady or Rafer-like, either. He's about average despite likely being the guy to take quite a few of the "clock running down, offense not really working" shots.

We'll see... I wouldn't be suprised if the way Morey plays this situation is to a) help Denver send Melo to NJ (or anywhere other than the Knicks), and b) make a play for the more efficient Nene and Billups. If Melo goes to NJ, most likely they get Favors + pick(s) out of the deal. The age of Favors means this is going to be a rebuilding job for Denver, making Billups, and to an extent Nene, more available. Rockets can offer to give them some combo of expiring contracts, young guys, and picks in exchange for the more established guys.

1 person likes this.
  4. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

I like your thoughts. This very well could be the case.

5. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Well that would stick us with 3 point guards that need to play. Maybe we plan to make Aaron Brooks a two guar and the Ishmael Smith signing was a smokescreen of some sort. Maybe instead of Billups we receive JR Smith who knows!

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

B) Non of the players you mention here would even vaguely be considered one dimensional
    C) Melo would be a better 3 at scoring than anyone we have , true. But the other facets of the game are important also. Its not like we dont have other people who can score.

7. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

B) Read again; I mentioned them with reference to being last minute/go to scorers at the end of games.
    C) I can't disagree with that.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Nice post. I agree that other players In Denver COULD help us more than Melo. And the strategy you outlined would be very Moreylike.

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

In this aspect of the game, he would help us. Agreed. Im looking more on a overall basis. But 20+M/year is a steep price to pay if that is all we get.

10. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

It's over, apparently Isiah has got this **** locked down:

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/23960984

Now we know why the Knicks hired him as a consultant. :rolleyes:

11. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

You guys talking about how Melo got to the WCF and how Tracy never got out of the 1st round obviously have suffered from memory loss. Tracy DID get out of the 1st round...against Portland. Who knew that it would take 6 DNPs on Tracy's part to get there though. :)

12. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Its been known that Melo will sign with the Knicks if he were a free agent, but that isn't the case right now.

13. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

^^and melo mentioned houston as an option.

14. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I thought about that too, but why would he sell his house and part ways with the Nuggets before the final year of his contract? Can't get to NY fast enough? That wife of his must have him on a short leash.

15. joesr

joesr Member

could be leverage

16. worzel gummidge

compare team fg% between hou + den

2010 h: 26th, d: 11th

09 h: 22nd, d: 5th

08 h: 21st, d: 6th

07 h: 27th, d: 9th

06 h: 28th, d: 8th

17. karmapolice119

DM stated that he has been gathering assets for when the possibility that a superstar shakes loose.

As far as superstars come, melo is up there. I know theres been questions about his past and his efficiency, but there is a possibility that with a new environment things can change. Adelman is a players coach and has proven to be able get the best out of questionable character guys (bonzi, artest). Melo wouldn't have to dominate the ball here because he has other options (kmart/brooks, scola, yao), where as in denver he doesn't have a legit big man or other scorers (besides jr smith). He has shown a that he can co lead a team (along side billups) and that he is willing to play d (demanded he play d on kobe the wcf of 08).

In this league you need a superstar(s) to get it done and with yaos health in question and inability to carry a team especially in end game scenarios, a clutch closer like melo is a must. He has continually taken big shots, including in the playoffs (ridiculous shot against dallas, with the no foul call) and has proven to be an elite scorer even with defenses focused on him.

If he wants his max and a situation where he can win then there is no better place than houston. I feel our only real competition might be the bulls or orlando, but I still think we have better assets with young cheap talent, picks, and expirings. We can make the trade and still be in position to go toe to toe with the lakers or the heat with our scoring, d, and size.

18. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

He just wants to get out of Denver and Mannix mentioned that Melo wants that contract extension before the new CBA. Melo realizes that Knicks aren't likely going to get him in a trade so he expanded the list to include us.

19. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

I just hope this is done with before training camp.

I wouldnt want to trade both Martin and Brooks for Melo. I dont see how that improves our team much. I can live with trading Battier but I would hope we re-sign him via buy out. And If you do get Melo this would be bad news to all you Budinger lovers (if he doesnt get traded). Melo would be playing 35-40 min a game at the 3. Not much time for C-Bud to get in.

I just hope we found out for sure what happens in the next 2 weeks.

20. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

When is the deadline for contract extensions?