1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Sources: Carmelo open to multiyear deal with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Coogie3, Aug 18, 2010.

1. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Just a little FYi...notice that all the teams melo is interested in have dominating big men...something he doesnt have in Denver.

Thats because the post/repost capabilities ... melo is the perfect player for that type of offense. Melo/Howard would be good but melo/yao would be unstoppable.

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

This is the same stuff people have been saying all summer. "We have the best pieces for a sign and trade." Raptors didn't even flinch at us. At the end of the day, its going to depend on where Melo really wants to go. If he chooses Houston, great, we can offer them a good deal. But like Bosh, Houston might just be a team on a list because Melo might have his sights already set somewhere else. I'm not falling into the "we have the best pieces for a trade" hype again.

3. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Ya cause the raptors wanted two draft picks from the best team in the nba instead of our first rounders from nyk and our young talent.........seriously?

Raptors had no choice...Bosh threatened to sign with Miami straight up. They took what they had to take.

This is totally different. The nuggs dont have to trade him...and if he doesnt resign with them he will make significantly less money with the new CBA.

This situation it is best for the nuggs ( to get most talent they can) and melo (to get most money he can while still going to a team hed like) to work together as much as possbile.

Thats why we will have a great chance...we just have to make the best offer.

4. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Melo and Adelman would be scary.

5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting how this latest article states that we would be able to pull of a Melo deal without giving up Brooks or Martin.

Brooks/Lowry
    Martin/Lee
    Melo/Lee
    Scola/Hill
    Yao/Miller

Patterson, Knicks pics, Budinger, Battier, Jeffries, Cash

for

Melo

That would be the best deal for the Rockets IMO

6. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

Our chances are greater than zero? Niiiice..

7. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Not only that, he expects us to take on JR Smith and Renaldo Balkman. No thank you, at this point we only want Melo: no more, no less.

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

durvasa,

You're a big stats guy....how do you feel about Carmello's overall value as a player? Offensive effeciency, etc.

The effeciency thing, for me, is not a big deal, as the ability to constantly draw double teams is hard to capture in statisitics.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

True, true.

If people would listen to the message, instead of focusing on the messenger they might learn something about basketball, asset management and the NBA.

;)...lol..

DD

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Troy Murphy is on an expiring $12M deal, so yes. The Nets also have Harris at $9M but Nuggets already have Chauncey at big dollars and Ty Lawson. Terrance Williams is at $7M, but that is a long deal and hardly a good value contract.

My projected top offers:

Knicks:
    Curry - Gallinari - Randolph - 2nd rd pick

Nets:
    Murphy - Favors - 1st rd pick

Bulls:
    Deng - CJ Watson - Taj Gibson - 1st rd pick

Magic:
    Carter - Dan Orton - 1st rd pick

Mavs (they will get into the bidding, even if it is a rental):
    Chandler - Butler - 1st rd pick

Rockets:
    ????
    Jeffries - Battier - Hill - Patterson - Double Knicks picks
    or
    Martin - Battier - Hill - single Knicks pick

Unlike most teams, the Rockets can mix and match assets to produce a solid dozen potential packages. The key thing here is to put together the most minimal deal you can that still tops the other bidders.

Melo does hold a lot of cards here, it's been pretty established since the infamous Vince Carter vs Toronto and McGrady vs Orlando standoffs that players can jack teams around and get their way. Teams won't hold onto a disgruntled star spewing toxic waste in the locker room. Teams won't trade for a star that openly declares he'll be an unhappy camper for the same reason. Teams won't let a guy walk for nothing despite all the bluster beforehand (Lebron/Bosh).

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I've felt for a while that he's overrated. If the Rockets want to pursue him, I'm not going to be a big grump about it and create threads on why I think its an awful idea. I'm sure they've got better information to work with than I do.

I posted this in February in NBA Dish. Stats collected from b-r, basketballvalue, and (now defunct) HoopNumbers:

<hr>

Its this year's leaders in PER, with adjusted +/- ratings for this season and for the prior 3 years. Note that the players that were in the 96th percentile or higher in this list for APM_last3years (LeBron, Duncan, Wade, Paul, Nash, Bryant, Nowitzki) all are rating very well this year as well.

Those are the players I'd say make the biggest difference for their teams. That's the group from which I'd pick my superstars.

2009-2010 Top PER Players (min. 1000 minutes)

Code:
    [B]Rk      Player             PER       APM   APM_last3years[/B]
    1       LeBron James       31.1     +24.42      99%
    2       Tim Duncan         27.8     +11.82      99%
    3       Dwyane Wade        26.8     +25.73      96%
    4       Chris Bosh         26.3     +5.76       94%
    5       Chris Paul         26.0     +15.9       97%
    6       Carmelo Anthony    25.0     -1.57       72%
    7       Kevin Durant       24.4     +13.78      4%
    8       Steve Nash         23.8     +10.96      99%
    9       Kobe Bryant        23.4     +12.74      99%
    10      Dirk Nowitzki      23.3     +16.94      98%

[I][SIZE=1]APM            - adjusted +/- ratings so far this season 
                     (computed by basketballvalue.com)
    APM_last3years - percentile ranking of adjusted +/- rankings 
                     over previous 3 years (computed by hoopnumbers.com)[/SIZE][/I]

12. larsv8

So if you are in the pass on Melo wagon.

What would your strategy be going forward to make this team better?

13. DaDakota

Supporting Member

He didn't say pass, just said he was overated......exactly how I feel.

You take the shot, hope he matures as a player (IE learns to pass and play defense) and go from there.

Maybe he just needs a fresh start, but usually, when you are saying that about a player, it means they are not as good as advertised.

DD

14. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

x2 ^^ THANK YOU!

15. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Carmelo is a very underrated passer and when he wants to, he is one of the best perimeter defenders in the league.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fztGWYgCinw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fztGWYgCinw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

16. larsv8

He said it would be an "awful idea" which implies if the decision was his, he would pass.

17. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

When he wants to? That's never good sign.

18. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I missed that, but I respect Durvasa for saying it, I think he is right.

But at the end of the day, no risk = no reward.....

Just got to wait to see if the Rockets think he is worth the risk, which we will probably NEVER know...lol.

DD

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That game was amazing and Melo just took over with Bron guarding him. Pull up mid range jumpers, Going to the Basket, drawing double teams and passing.

It's the game that showed me he was the real deal last season.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

man, i'd love to see this happen.