1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Carmelo open to multiyear deal with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Coogie3, Aug 18, 2010.

1. YaosDirtyStache

Just like we under rate V-Span?

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm not saying scientifically your point isn't interesting...

BUT, it's not like it woudl be something that difficult to figure out. There's been an NBA (and NFL and MLB) team in Denver for a long time. There have been players that started there and left, that started somewhere else and went there, etc., etc. Not too hard to see if there's a difference in performance. My guess is no. Moreover, in regards to the competition, you can just look at home away differences. Melo might play a little better at home...but if so, I'd guess it isn't meaningful, if at all.

He's a top player, whereever he plays. He's not quite the playmaker those in that group just above him are (Lebron, Kobe, Wade, Paul) and is not quite the defender (though most superstars coast on defense so to speak until late in the game when they need stops...Kobe doesn't typically guard Lebron during games). But he's a great player.

Obviously, the goal is to win championships. Honestly, I can't say adding Melo even in an obviously pro Houston trade (say Battier, filler and NY picks) would definitively get us there. It would clearly be a much better team...but it would also further the trend that we've seen, which is trading defense for offense. Would the team have enough defense? I don't know. The Nuggets teams of the past few years have had plenty of offense. The Suns squad has had plenty of offense. But they haven't had enough defense. But that aside, getting deep into the playoffs every year with a team that just racks up points...even if they don't win a championship, dang would it be a fun fun fun squad to watch.

3. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

Should have taken Collision over Lee so we could have traded Brooks away.

4. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Contributing Member

Right...and the T-Mac we had those years would have delivered big accomplishments if surrounded by players better than Clarence Weatherspoon and Ryan Bowen. Carmelo would thrive here even WITH sending out the talent necessary to acquire him. That's how deep this roster is. Completely disagree.

Moe

5. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Anyone here feel LeBron, Wade and crew are influencing him to stay out West so they can form a rivalry? If such a case, I don't see how we emerge as anything but #1 on his list.

It'd be a dream to get him.

6. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

I was actually a little bit surprised when I heard he would accept a long term extrension with the Rockets. It seems that 'superstars' avoid us like the plague these days.

I hope Morey can get this done. If we keep Brooks and Martin, do you think one of them would be put into a 6th man type role? Since we would have plenty of scoring from our starters.

7. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I know I have the same feelings too, he is only using us as a way to get more teams on his bandwagon.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The Nuggets don't need Brooks or Lowry, but they would need Budinger, and maybe Hill to get him...along with some big contracts like Battier and Jeffries to make the salaries match.

That would be fairly reasonable, Budinger, Hill, Jeffries, Battier for Melo....

Personally, I don't want the guy, I think he is way overated, and is a chucker, who does not play defense.

You guys gave me crap for liking Maggette, but he was at least efficient.....

I don't think it would have made any difference, guys like Tmac always put themselves ahead of the team.....and eventually it kills the team.

DD

9. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I don't think they want AB, they already have Billups and Lawson, they would want Martin IMO.

10. ezzie

ezzie Member

10 pages by lunchtime! the garm is officially freakin out! :grin:

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Billups is only getting older

12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

If you look at their effeciency ratings, and the amount of $$$$ they will be paid you will understand.

Melo to me puts up the same types of numbers as someone like Kevin Martin, but gets paid almost twice as much.

I just think he is one of those good old fashioned Chuckers.

I am not totally against getting him but would not give up the farm for him......

DD

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Dammit!! Everytime i leave the house something happens! At least we're on his "list". :grin: :eek:

14. Asian Sensation

Except he doesn't come with a history of back problems. He's also passed the first round and led his team to the WCF Finals. He's won it all at the college level as a Freshman. The only similar thing I see is that they're both big time scorers.

The guy's a top 3 SF in the game.
    He's in his prime.
    He knows how to win.
    Maybe the best midrange game in the league.

I Liiiike... How much?

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Rockets = everyone's favorite b*tch now.

We are being used again to force ***** to happen.

The Rockets are being used for nothing but leverage.

Rocket River
    P.S. I still don't want Melo

[​IMG]

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Why would they want Brooks when Lawson and Billups are both better than him? Brooks' contract also expires after the end of this year so he won't be cheap for long.

Rockets will need to get a third team to take Brooks and extract what value they can if they are to deal him.

17. DaDakota

Supporting Member

He has gotten out of the first round....ONCE in 7 years.....

He takes a LOT of shots and is not that great at shooting, his 3ball average is like .301.....

I mean he is a top tiered player, but to me, he is just below SuperStar.....an upgrade for the right price....but don't break the bank.

DD

18. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Contributing Member

I'm frankly surprised at your thoughts on him. Carmelo combines PROLIFIC scoring with great EFFICIENCY for a player with that many touches.

Further, he fits seamlessly into our offense b/c he's an unreal mid-range player, meaning, He is either sticking the jumper, blowing by you for the score or the foul, or garnering the double and kicking out. He would infinitely open up space and ops for a healthy Yao and every other player on the team while giving us the closer we've sorely lacked since McGrady's days.

Moe

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

"If Healthy"

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

IMO, players like Martin are the reason Melo would be interested in Houston. If they were to involve him in the trade, the team would be taking a step backwards. I really think and hope Martin will not be involved. :mad: