1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Butler will be Moreys main target this summer, and he feels fairly confident it will happen

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

No, i won't find a middle ground with you because that never happends with you, or at least that's what it looks like to me. Like in this case, we're going back and forth for hours...because i was hoping that an opt in trade for Butler could've been possible...like i would've said i was hoping to see Butler sign for the MLE.

I mean, those points are correct, but at this point it's easy to say it, Paul wanted a max and wanted to opt out too at the time, should we have expected him to opt in? Sure, he was 32, he was also the president of the players association and no one thought he was going to leave money on the table, legacy to define or not, he could've done that in San Antonio for a max without postponing his paycheck.

But in the end, if that's what you want fine, if i'm utter delusional for hoping on a chance to see an opt in trade for hometown boy Butler, who would've earned the same money if not more in the long run by opting in, after all the reports speaking about how the Rockets are very confident in getting him and after reading all the insiders saying Butler would like to come here well...yes, i guess i'm utter delusional, no offence taken ;)

2. malakas

malakas Member

Woj seems determined to reveal every done deal tonight :rolleyes:
    At the very least we know that Butler isn't just wasting our time looking for free meals while having decided

amaru likes this.
  3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

1. If you seriously hoped for the MLE, you would be r****ded and not delusional
    2. "...who would've earned the same money if not more in the long run by opting in," You really, actually think this? o_O
    3. Confident in coming here for the max as part of a SnT per all rumors and reports

If that's the way you want to see it, then sure. If you want to pretend that a middle ground exists, then sure. If you want to pretend that your "hope" isn't delusional, then sure. If you believed that CP3 being willing to opt-in at age 32 with all the money he has already earned being in the same realm of probability as Butler opting in at age 29, then sure.

4. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Yes, but what I am saying is that he has never needed the Rockets as leverage to get a 5th year out of Philly, especially since he has his pick of any team for the max in any way. We are simply front runners in the SnT aspect, though Miami now seems to be in the mix.

sammy likes this.
  5. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

All of our insiders have gone dark now lol

rocketman84 and amaru like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You are an optimist, I get it, there is no way we know how athletes and star athletes think and they change their minds like KD. 24 times all over.

Trying to is delusional though.

Vivi likes this.
  7. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

8. chenjy9

Supporting Member

You guys really are taking this too seriously. We have a great team no matter how this pans out. Just relax and see how the tree shakes.

JMAD21 and kwakmeister like this.
  9. Vivi

Vivi Member

Opt in for this next season and then sign a 5 year max deal in 2020 wouldn't have brought him more money than getting a 4 or even 5 year max now? Unless he's going to get a 25/30M per season contract in 4/5 years, which seems unlikely since he'll be 34 by that time.

With that said, it's just that for me, considering all the factors in play, the opt in trade wasn't looking like an impossible scenario, i never expected it to be the likely scenario, don't think that's too much to understand, come on...

10. TheSource

TheSource Member

All of a sudden Miami is now the front runner because Jimmy Butler “appreciates the franchise” ? Give me a break I’m not buying it

11. amaru

amaru Member

I remember this account used to be a joke account. Are they creditable now?

12. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

Darius Miller should be the target if Butler doesn’t pan out. He won’t break the bank and he shoots 40% from beyond the arc. Strong defender as well for a 6’8” guy.

13. finsraider

finsraider Member

That’s where I am.

It is odd to me that Miami seems to get this amount of attention every year. Like there’s something going on in the background I don’t understand.

Anyways. I don’t think it matters. If money is the same, I’m confident we are by far the best option.

BigShasta likes this.
  14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

In no world is it smart to swap 25 year old Josh Richardson, who is making 10 mill per for the next 2 seasons for Jimmy Butler.

If the Heat do that, the 76ers will be robbing them blind.

15. amaru

amaru Member

Not terribly excited about adding Kevin Love. He’s talented but injury prone

16. amaru

amaru Member

*sigh* I just looked it up. He only played around 20 games this season :(

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Sure but when PAT RILEY wants to meet with you, you listen.

amaru likes this.
  18. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

If Jimmy does go with the Heat, gotta think that he's not that serious about winning

RyanB and sammy like this.
  19. chenjy9

Supporting Member

No it wouldn't. By opting in, he would be losing $10-15M depending on how taxes actually end up hashing out. Any max contract we give him would be on top of his last year, making him even further behind in terms of what he could have gotten. Then there is the whole security part. What if he opts in and gets hurt, tears his Achilles or ACL or something? Now he is potentially out of work after the season with no guarantees for his future outside of maybe the FO's word that he would be taken care of.

Essentially your whole dream scenario is similar to going to a bar and meeting a super hot and successful A-lister movie star and thinking it is not delusional that you could go home with her for an one-night stand, simply because it has happened before with another richer, older woman. Is it outside the realm of impossibility? Strictly speaking, statistically no. Is it extremely delusional and improbable? Yes... full stop.

Like I said, mention this to any intelligent person who is not a diehard Rockets fan and they immediately dismiss your idea, if not outright laugh.

20. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

If I recall correctly they refused to include him when T'wolves asked earlier in the season. I'd be surprised if they did it now.