1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Butler will be Moreys main target this summer, and he feels fairly confident it will happen

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 25, 2019.

1. hongxingli

hongxingli Contributing Member

Actually now I believe this could happen since there won't be a lot of teams think they can handle him

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

To be clear, we likely could NOT do a sign and trade for him because it would hard cap us. He'd have to opt in for an opt-in and trade which would cost him like $10 million next year in salary.

3. Handles

Handles Member

Please let it happen. Gordon, Nene, whatever you gotta do - just keep Harden, CP3, Capela and this team is set.

4. astros123

astros123 Member

LMAO you think the sixers are going to trade butler for eric fkin gordon? hahaha jesus let me take a hit of what youre smoking

RocketOrg likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Not going to happen.

6. Nook

Nook Member

He has been by far the most accurate person on these boards.

Some of the things he said seemed unlikely (like Rockets interest in Rondo) and later I found out that he was right.

He has prognosticated too long and too accurately to be shrewdly guessing.

So it really isn’t debatable.

7. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Ahh yeah but again that makes it easier for us because we could hypothetically keep Tucker and give them picks instead.

With us being under the luxury tax currently with lots of expirings, I didnt think we would reach the hard cap threshhold.

But you prove a better point and scenario with the opt in and trade.

Give them Gordon, 2 1sts with nene to a 3rd team for an opt in and trade and that makes us damn scary.

8. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

JB Bickerstaff?

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Hard to come up with a scenario where this works.

10. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Capela
    Faried
    Tomball
    Mvp
    Cp3

11. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

Morey: “Jimmy, come to H-town and play with CP3 and Harden if you want to win a championship.

JB: “A shot at the championship sounds great but I want to get paid. I don’t know how much longer I can stay healthy and I need a big contract in case I get injured again.”

Morey: “You saw the contract I gave CP3, right? He’ll be 34 in a few months and now he’s set for life.”

JB: “Yeah, but why would I sign with a team to play with an aging CP3 when he’s more injured than me.”

Morey: “Good point. Will you sign for less so we can bring in a quality backup PG?”

JB: “Nah, I’m signing with the Lakers. I’m not into just shooting 3’s. Plus, you won’t have enough money to re-sign Faried and EG if I sign and I’m not playing with a bunch of g league scrubs for the rest of my career.”

12. Sajan

Sajan Member

Of course the Rockets are interested in everyone. Is there any doubt the rockets are not interested in JB...or any other free agent out there? Nope. Realistically there's no chance of it happening.

I am interested in Camilla Cabello and sources close to me will say it's true.

In the end (whether what he is saying is true or not) are just pipe dreams. All it does is get people's hopes up and create long threads...until he drops the next "Sources: Rockets interested in..." thread.

13. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Shumps $11M coming off the books means we have more leeway in HOW we go about getting JB. Nowhere did I say that we can outright sign him. Morey does however have options:
    • EG and Nene are both EC's that can contribute
    • Hart is a prospect teams can try to develop
    • Tucker can also be traded if absolutely necessary
    There are also the less likely but still possible scenarios:
    • JB taking less money on a SnT to Houston (supposedly doesn't care about money and would rather win)
    • CP3 and/or Harden re-working their contracts (supposedly CP3 was willing to take less money to sign another star)
    • Tucker re-working his contract to something in the $5-6M ballpark

14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Is there a way to do this without going into the luxury tax realm?

[​IMG]

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

This is all about how much Butler really wants to be a Rocket. If he's really willing to do an opt in like CP3 did, then this is absolutely feasible.

Gordon,Nene and Hartenstein is enough to match salaries. Gordon is a good player for Philly, throw in a 1st round pick and it's certainly something that would benefit both sides if Butler threatens to walk.

I'm not gonna pretend to know Butler's actual interest in this, but the logistics of it are not complicated.

joshuaao likes this.
  16. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

lol I wonder how easy it is to say **** like this and get easy likes because homers are happy about how it sounds.

17. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

I'm predicting that Morey will get Butler when he's out of his prime already. lol

deb4rockets likes this.
  18. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

JB opting in to his last year would be huge for us. Then we can trade Gordon+Nene for him. We wouldn't have to send Hart as we can take back 125% in salary. Then we have the non-taxpayer MLE which we can use to sign hopefully Faried. I am fine losing Rivers if he doesn't stay for the vet min.

19. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

So we’re just going to believe this even though it’s not possible.

Jimmy opt-in? Sure. Why not hold off on the last big contract of your career for another year. Oh and then Houston is going to give him a 4 year max after next year? When, you know, he’ll be past 30.

Cyber is saying his source told him this. I’m just saying his source is spewing BS. Not necessarily knowingly. But it’s absolute BS.

Corrosion and malakas like this.
  20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Not sure if serious.