1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Brian Hoyer named starting QB

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 24, 2015.

1. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I'm fine with Hoyer being the QB. I am not fine with the process because it appears that Mallett didn't get a fair chance.

Hoyer was the guy from the start of OTAs

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Second time just in this thread... They won 10 and 12 games his first two years and totaled four playoff games. They won 9 last year and were literally the last team eliminated from the playoffs. And if the defense is as good as we think it can be... they're likely at least in the mix this year. How, exactly, are they *wasting* JJ Watt's prime? I'd say they're taking full advantage of it...

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Mallett didnt do anything special in practice or in the preseason games. Hoyer definitely had an edge going into the competition, but Mallett needed to step up somewhere, and he failed to do that.

5. Hey Now!

And just what, exactly, would have constituted a fair chance? Do you know how often Mallett practiced with the 1s during OTAs, training camp, etc? Are you privy to their work habits? Film sessions? Which QB understood the offense better? Which was better reading defenses? Did you get a chance to ask any of the players their preference/opinion?

Just curious how you, sitting 1,235,6782 miles away, would have even an inkling of a clue who got what....

6. Hey Now!

Don't want this to get lost........

7. cardpire

cardpire Member

That's the root of the problem. Or should be, at least. We should all be scared ****less that the QB of the future won't be on this roster at this time next season either. Or the next. Or the one after that.

Still shocked that anybody could be in an uproar that Hoyer is the QB, and Mallett isn't. It's a scrap heap stopgap regardless.

The fact that we're now on year 2 of choosing between stopgap QB's, and these 2 years are on the heels of our other 2 season-opening QB's in the history of the franchise being David Carr and Matt Schaub, the fact that this regime willingly chose Matt Schaub over Peyton Manning, the fact that this regime willingly letting TJ Yates QB the team in the playoffs the one year we were legit Super Bowl contenders...THIS is where the concern should lie and where the vitriol should be aimed.

As for Hoyer vs. Mallett: who gives a ****? The season is over before it starts with either of them. I mean, jesus... posters in this thread are hoping Bill O'Brien is good enough to get enough out of Brian Hoyer to perform like Ryan Fitzpatrick did last season lol. How much more depressing could it get?

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

Simple question: The season hasn't started yet. Do the Texans have any realistic shot at winning the Super Bowl this season? Did they last year?

Remember the first 2 words now, HeyNow: "Simple question". Don't need an essay in response.

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Thanks for those quotes, J.R..

I thought it was too soon to decide, in my opinion. This means Hoyer won't play vs. the Saints, right? :confused:

#169 SwoLy-D, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Soooooooooooo.... what's it gonna take out of Hoyer and the Texans (since some people will inevitably only focus on W/L) for him to be considered "good"?

Let's get some benchmarks on the board here so we understand what success looks like.

11. rezdawg

The Texans do not have much of a chance to win the Superbowl.

However, only about 5-6 teams really have a decent shot at the Superbowl, so it shouldnt really be a knock on a franchise if they cant win the Superbowl this year.

One thing is certain though, we will be battling for a playoff spot with the likes of the Ravens, Steelers, Dolphins...that's not terrible company.

12. cardpire

cardpire Member

Wouldn't this mean Hoyer will play heavily vs. the Saints?

In the words of Dennis Green, "who in the hell takes the 3rd game of the preseason like it's bull****?"

1 person likes this.
  13. cardpire

cardpire Member

If we were going into the season with a QB who doesn't suck, would you say we'd be in the Super Bowl mix?

14. Buck Turgidson

Playing good enough to not be considered "bad" and Texans solidly in the playoff hunt the last couple/3 games.

15. Hey Now!

Yes. Simple enough?

Every team has a realistic shot. To say otherwise is to admit this is your first year to ever watch the NFL. It's so silly and stupid to draw presumptive conclusions in August.

I have zero delusions about contending for a Super Bowl; that's fool's gold; sports radio call-in feed for the LCD. Can they compete for a playoff spot with Hoyer? Sure. From there... ANYTHING can happen.

(It would have been fun to ask you that question in March, btw, but replace "Texans" with "Astros" and "Super Bowl" with "World Series", huh?)

16. rezdawg

If we had a good QB, we'd be Superbowl contenders.

Problem is, it's not easy to find a good QB.

17. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

"I" (like you) only know what I see.

18. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

This.

By all accounts, the QB battle was pretty even. Doesn't make much sense to believe everything would be sunshine and roses with one QB and nothing but misery and pain with the other.

This.

Again, if the competition was even and the belief is that Hoyer sucks, then that means that Mallett sucks too. I don't believe the job was necessarily Hoyer's to lose. But even if it was and and Mallett had to significantly outplay Hoyer to win the job, if Hoyer sucks then that just means that Mallett couldn't beat out a ****ty QB.

Honestly, the likelihood of Mallett being any kind of real solution wasn't very good to begin with. I was never really on board that train. Can we put a fork in the notion of him becoming a franchise QB now? I mean, OK, he was behind Brady for 3 years and shouldn't have been expected to start. Fine. Then he was late to camp here and got injured. OK. But if he can't beat out a journeyman like Hoyer with a full season and camp in Houston, is there any real reason to believe he'll become some elite QB in his late 20s/early 30s? The guy is what he is, which is closer to Hoyer and Fitzpatrick (and probably not even that considering he's sat behind both) than Rogers or Brady.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Hoyer got hurt and Mallet came in and shot the lights out.

One camp battle does not a career make.

20. cardpire

cardpire Member

1 person likes this.