1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Brian Hoyer named starting QB

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 24, 2015.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Right? Are there really fans who a) think preseason games are meaningful; b) think they gleam more information from said meaningless preseason games than the coaches, who mainline this stuff 24/7/365? Really?...

I'm not suggesting anything about this QB situation is necessarily good - but if they deem Hoyer the best of the two... uh, he's the best of the two. Trust me: they know waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than any of you draftnick know-nothing nobodies.

2. Hey Now!

That is - very nearly word-for-word - what a lot of us were saying at this time last year about Fitzpatrick (me included).

Why is it so hard to fathom BOB might be able to turn another mediocre QB into an above-average one?

You're... well, interesting, I guess. You (rightly) defended Fitzpatrick up and down last year and RIPPED Mallett before he ever set a foot on the field. Now, six months later, you have no rope for a *very* Fitzpatrick-like Hoyer while stumping for a guy I'm pretty sure whose start last year prompted you to call for a tank of the rest of the season...

Why don't we all, collectively, agree to at least give a very competent coaching staff a chance to let this play out rather than condemn it in the middle of August - what do ya say?.... Anyone?...

3. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Mount UP with Hoyer! :grin:

4. conquistador#11

I think we would all feel better if hoyer was 26 yrs old. I think it plays a huge difference.
    So let's be optimistic...
    at age 30, rich gannon was an 70 rtg passer. no bueno at all. as the years went on, boom, became oakland's last hope.

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

How most Texans fans feel...

[​IMG]

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Boom.

Nailed it.

Mallet is just too flawed.

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Nothing has changed. Hoyer is better than Fitz. He's probably better than Mallett.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The geniuses here now turning on B'OB.

Aaron Wilson ✔@AaronWilson_NFL
    Edge for Brian Hoyer comes down to experience, consistency, decision-making, less practice interceptions, gut feeling
    8:35 AM - 24 Aug 2015
    13 13 Retweets 8 8 favorites

That's an incredibly sound decision. I don't want the guy who throws more interceptions and is less consistent because of hope.

9. TheMountainTop

Mallet might have had the stronger arm but not the smarter decision making.

And if his twang is stronger than Ben Jones than no one could understand his country ass anyways.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Haha... when they signed him you suggested the plan was that he'd never see the field.

1 person likes this.
  11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

There seems to be a lot of truth to this post...I guess most of us secretly hoped for more with Mallet... But the truth is, that after these many years in one offense, Mallet shouldve been much more adept...Yet the entire offseason was riddled with mediocrity with Mallet. Hoyer has shown much more poise and a better command of the plays.

Finally, if BOB can make Fitz look like a serviceable QB, he has a chance with Hoyer.. People have to ask themselves, if Fitz was healthy and the QB carousel wasnt present...Would the Texans gotten one more win to finish at 10-6 last year?

12. Airdough

Airdough Member

There's less whining on a Real Housewives of <Insert Location Here>. None of these QBs really distinguished themselves. The only one to show growth was Savage and OB wasn't ready to elevate him. He chose the QB with experience who he obviously trusts a little more than Mallet.

This QB situation was wrought from Kubiak insisting he had a franchise QB in Schaub. If they had drafted his successor, this decision never matters.

Even if Teddy Bridgewater is Alex Smith 2.0, drafting a guy like that at the end of the first round is a lot more palatable than 1st overall. If Hoyer can just replicate Alex Smith, this team has a good enough defense to get us into the playoffs. If he doesn't, then maybe that gets the Texans in position to get our franchise QB next year.

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i'll take it! BOB will regaling the world with super bowl stories from the MNF booth in no time..

14. Hey Now!

Hoyer? Yeah, I would be a proud member of the know-nothing crowd...... I assumed Mallett was the de factor #1 - it sounds like he either flatlined, regressed - or Hoyer was simply better.

Still preposterous that so many fans think *they* know better.. Yeah, ok... sure.

15. Hey Now!

Exactly. 98+% of their evaluation of these guys happened in venues other than preseason games. It might be closer to 100%; the games likely served as confirmations, if anything.

I'm telling you, Mallett, as an example, showing up 3 minutes late to a meeting would have three tons more impact than Mallett going 50/50 for 600 yards against 2s and 3s in August.

It's not like the NFL is new; we all should know this. The vast majority of evaluation happens way off our radars.

16. Fantasma Negro

I'm not worried at all. Hoyer has more experience on the field and had a good first half last season. Besides, how many people were confident in Fitzpatrick last season and O'Brien made his look almost competent. The qb of the future is not on this roster right now

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

It feels weird not having a dog in the fight.

I wanted Mallet and Hoyer before they were both Texans.

So, I'm kinda happy with the outcome no matter what.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yeah, true... i definitely don't know jack about it. I asked when they signed him... why?

I guess it turns out the answer was because the QB position is even worse than thought.

I'm not discounting the potential for Hoyer to be above average and lead the team to 10 or 11 wins... I certainly don't expect it and think even if it happens there's a QB problem

19. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

If we fall below 500 this year, I pray to God that McNair wakes up and fires Rick Smiths ass. Man, it hurts knowing that JJ is wasting his prime with a team that can't get it done. AJ 2.0

20. Hey Now!

9 games - 161/275 (59%); 2;212; 10/4; 90.4 (QBR); 8.04 (YPA)

Not as good as Fitzpatrick last year (the completion % is fairly mediocre) - but... you can win 8+ games with that QB. And the Texans are a better team than Cleveland (granted, losing Arian obviously lessens the gap).